Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:51:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Icehaven

I've just been reading a restaurant review and the discussion beneath has gone off on a bit of a tangent about restaurants getting arsey when customers try and avoid ordering mains by ordering two starters or a starter and a side etc., which is presumably why most places take your starter and main order at the same time in case you suddenly lose your appetite after your first course. And all this time I thought it was to help get the timings right.

studpuppet

LG Electronics' full name is Lucky Goldstar and they're the same company that made those crappy Goldstar CRT TVs and stereos back in the 80s/90s.

QDRPHNC

Icehaven

seepage

Quote from: studpuppet on January 10, 2019, 01:15:59 PM
LG Electronics' full name is Lucky Goldstar and they're the same company that made those crappy Goldstar CRT TVs and stereos back in the 80s/90s.

I owned a Goldstar 486 PC

Panbaams

"Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!" isn't a Christmas song.

mothman

That what is called Corned Beef Hash here in the UK is actually completely different from what I've always thought it was - which is actually the US version of it, with just corned beef, onions and potatoes.

Quote from: Panbaams on January 11, 2019, 07:06:11 PM
"Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!" isn't a Christmas song.

I know - it's a surfing classic.

Panbaams

touchingcloth

Before the invention of Cinescopes, all motion picture film was invented top to bottom and left to right, and this is why you can sometimes spot the wires holding the actors' feet to the "floor" painted on the ceiling, and why they sometimes leave via the entrance before they've come in the exit. This is also where the word "Acme" comes from, as it's one of those words that looks identical upside down and back to front.

Gulftastic

When films were released on video, we rented them.
DVDs came in, and we bought them.
Now streaming is the thing, we've gone back to renting them.

Lordofthefiles

St_Eddie

Quote from: Gulftastic on January 15, 2019, 08:26:07 PM
When films were released on video, we rented them.
DVDs came in, and we bought them.
Now streaming is the thing, we've gone back to renting them.

Nah, people rented DVDs (including myself).  The format came along in 1999/2000 and Blockbusters didn't close until 2013/2014.  The same applies to Blu-Rays, which were first released in 2006.

phantom_power

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 13, 2019, 10:07:57 AM
Before the invention of Cinescopes, all motion picture film was invented top to bottom and left to right, and this is why you can sometimes spot the wires holding the actors' feet to the "floor" painted on the ceiling, and why they sometimes leave via the entrance before they've come in the exit. This is also where the word "Acme" comes from, as it's one of those words that looks identical upside down and back to front.

That reminds me of that great audio commentary on one of the Blood Simple DVDs from a fake film historian

St_Eddie

Quote from: phantom_power on January 15, 2019, 09:01:18 PM
That reminds me of that great audio commentary on one of the Blood Simple DVDs from a fake film historian

My Blood Simple DVD doesn't have this special feature.

In fact, my Blood Simple DVD has no special features at all.

*grumble*

Didn't want their stupid special features anyway...

St_Eddie

I've just double checked and my Blood Simple DVD actually does contain the following special feautres...

* Scene selection

* Previews

* Subtitles: Arabic & French

...Glory fucking be!

kalowski

I love it when a DVD claims 'scene selection' as a special feature. A a DVD without it must be the cheapest shitty shit in the world.

mjwilson

Some DVDs of David Lynch films have no scene selection because he wants you to watch it all through in one go.

gilbertharding

Quote from: kalowski on January 15, 2019, 09:22:54 PM
I love it when a DVD claims 'scene selection' as a special feature. A a DVD without it must be the cheapest shitty shit in the world.

My copy of Withnail and I is missing scene selection, because it was free with a Sunday paper. Consequently I have never, actually, watched it all the way through.

pigamus

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 15, 2019, 09:26:49 PM
My copy of Withnail and I is missing scene selection, because it was free with a Sunday paper. Consequently I have never, actually, watched it all the way through.

You want working on, boy.

In court votes, the speaker doesn't say "Eyes" to the left, "Nose" to the right, the "Eyes" have it, etc.

It's "Ayes" and "Noes". I feel like bit of an idiot after just discovering this. But what I previously thought kind of made sense.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 15, 2019, 10:03:20 PM
In court votes, the speaker doesn't say "Eyes" to the left, "Nose" to the right, the "Eyes" have it, etc.

It's "Ayes" and "Noes". I feel like bit of an idiot after just discovering this. But what I previously thought kind of made sense.

I had the opposite revelation of this. I knew it was "ayes" and "noes" and then very recently it clicked hearing "eyes to the left, nose to the right" and I thought hey that's pretty funny

St_Eddie

It's "Ayes" and "Noes".

Bet you thought "hear hear" was "ear ear" and all.

It's going to be a revelation when you realise that parliament isn't a court.

olliebean

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 15, 2019, 08:59:35 PM
Nah, people rented DVDs (including myself).  The format came along in 1999/2000 and Blockbusters didn't close until 2013/2014.  The same applies to Blu-Rays, which were first released in 2006.

People bought VHS videos, too. I don't know why anyone would buy a streaming video, though. Imagine if you'd bought a DVD, and the shop told you you had to log into their website to get permission every time you wanted to watch it. You'd tell them to stick it up their arse. That's what buying a streaming video is.

St_Eddie

Quote from: olliebean on January 15, 2019, 10:33:33 PM
People bought VHS videos, too. I don't know why anyone would buy a streaming video, though. Imagine if you'd bought a DVD, and the shop told you you had to log into their website to get permission every time you wanted to watch it. You'd tell them to stick it up their arse. That's what buying a streaming video is.

I completely agree and it's why I haven't signed up to a streaming service.  If something's only available via streaming, then I download a pirate copy.  People can judge me for that if they'd like but those same people will all come a-running when their favoured streaming service goes down the crapper and unlike them, I've actually got digital copies of the shows and films they paid for and now want to rewatch.  I'm not paying to "own" a TV show or film unless I can actually own it.

popcorn

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 15, 2019, 11:17:01 PM
People can judge if they'd like but those same people will all come a-running when their favoured streaming service goes down the crapper and unlike them, I've actually got digital copies of the shows and films they paid for and now want to rewatch.

At that point we could all just pirate them too though.