Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:52:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

Not that obvious, but I've just realised that the keyboards at my school were Yamahas not Casios. I had no idea Yamaha made keyboards. Sounds about as likely as Mazda making light bulbs to me.

Rizla

Also of note, the Casio SA-1 - not only was the demo tune "Wake Me Up (Before You Go-Go), as memorably used in A&J's "Shine" toy parody, but a couple of the presets formed the foundations of the first Trans-Am LP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-8c_UYfQcE&list=OLAK5uy_nuN5YJZ8466lGZYecUsR1earcd6iSHyk0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdMdZCgh3zE&list=OLAK5uy_nuN5YJZ8466lGZYecUsR1earcd6iSHyk0&index=11

What were we talking about again?

Icehaven

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on May 12, 2019, 08:25:48 PM
Not that obvious, but I've just realised that the keyboards at my school were Yamahas not Casios. I had no idea Yamaha made keyboards. Sounds about as likely as Mazda making light bulbs to me.

Until I was about 20 and had a job in a motor insurance office I didn't know they made motorbikes and thought they just made musical instruments.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: icehaven on May 12, 2019, 08:30:14 PM
Until I was about 20 and had a job in a motor insurance office I didn't know they made motorbikes and thought they just made musical instruments.

they were making pianos before motorbikes were even a thing. hence the logo, which is three overlapping tuning-forks.

Replies From View

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 12, 2019, 08:35:30 PM
three overlapping tuning-forks.

That's the kind of logo a company would choose if they knew fuck-all about music.

Twed

Yamaha are pretty much responsible for 80s music. They pioneered commercial FM/phase modulation synthesis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Ha0MMT0aA

Icehaven

they were making pianos before motorbikes were even a thing. hence the logo, which is three overlapping tuning-forks.

Yeah that's what I would have thought. I only knew them as musical instrument makers through my childhood and teens, so it was news to me that they did anything else when I discovered they made motorbikes.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Replies From View on May 12, 2019, 08:38:27 PM
That's the kind of logo a company would choose if they knew fuck-all about music.

??

the piano tuner my mum employed from time to time, to sort out her danemann & her broadwood, had several tuning forks. if you're doing the job properly, a piano has a weird compromise tuning, & a single fork ain't going to get the job done. that's what I was told anyway.

touchingcloth

This is a fantastic obvious thing I'm glad to have only just realised. I've always been aware of Yamaha being the name of both an instrument and car company, but now that I think about it I'm not sure I realised they were both the same company.

Replies From View

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 12, 2019, 08:49:48 PM
??

the piano tuner my mum employed from time to time, to sort out her danemann & her broadwood, had several tuning forks. if you're doing the job properly, a piano has a weird compromise tuning, & a single fork ain't going to get the job done. that's what I was told anyway.

And they overlapped the tuning forks, did they.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Replies From View on May 12, 2019, 09:19:33 PM
And they overlapped the tuning forks, did they.

well, not while they were using them, no. but when he tidied them away, possibly.

Replies From View

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 12, 2019, 09:31:05 PM
well, not while they were using them, no. but when he tidied them away, possibly.

No I don't think he would have stored them like that, ergo I win this!

2019 PRIZE FOR SHITTEST LOGO EVER GOES TO:  YAMAHA FOR ITS UNLIKELY POSITIONING OF THREE TUNING FORKS IMPLYING THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK THEY ARE DOING AND HAVE BEEN BLUFFING THIS WHOLE TIME

touchingcloth

Quote from: Replies From View on May 12, 2019, 09:42:57 PM

2019 PRIZE FOR SHITTEST LOGO EVER GOES TO:  YAMAHA FOR ITS UNLIKELY POSITIONING OF THREE TUNING FORKS

Who are the runners up?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Replies From View on May 12, 2019, 09:42:57 PM

2019 PRIZE FOR SHITTEST LOGO EVER GOES TO:  YAMAHA FOR ITS UNLIKELY POSITIONING OF THREE TUNING FORKS IMPLYING THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK THEY ARE DOING AND HAVE BEEN BLUFFING THIS WHOLE TIME

bit older than that, but yes.

https://www.yamaha.com/en/about/history/logo/

Replies From View

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 12, 2019, 09:45:09 PM
Who are the runners up?

1)  Your beef-headed uncle for his logo of a sick being pushed in a mouse hole  (A-TEAM MOLLUSCS)

2)  Your nappy on a soft-toy ALF  (PANDA POP NETBALL)

3)  Everyone in your household being squidged into the gaps between some fibreglass in your loft  (TOUCHINGCLOTH FAMILY SUNFLOWER SEEDS)

Replies From View

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 12, 2019, 09:47:41 PM
bit older than that, but yes.

https://www.yamaha.com/en/about/history/logo/

What do you mean "bit older than that"?  The current year doesn't change based on how old something is.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Replies From View on May 12, 2019, 09:49:07 PM
What do you mean "bit older than that"?  The current year doesn't change based on how old something is.

ah, so you're giving out awards for logos that are decades old? ok.

good luck pitching the awards show at channel 5. :-)

Replies From View

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Having your own profile picture on a forum is proper good; makes you feel part of a community, and everything.

hedgehog90

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 12, 2019, 09:53:40 PM
Having your own profile picture on a forum is proper good; makes you feel part of a community, and everything.

I'm reminded of that episode of Frasier where Martin goes to the opticians for new specs and he comes back with a pink pair with frilly bits round the edges.
He's so happy with his new frames but everyone's like ugh fucksake Martin you look like such a tool, not out loud but you can see that's what they're all thinking.
It's not even played for laughs, really sad actually :(

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Do you need to sound  * quite*  so embittered? I really liked the avatar you supplied me with, but at the end of the day , it was just too " busy", and would have looked quite distracting amongst the other avatars on 'ere besides those images of Borgnine and Melty Clock and Lonesome George were putting me off me stroke.

hedgehog90

Sorry Lisa, I was just kidding. It looks fine honestly.

Now, on a completely unrelated note, does anyone have a script for blocking specific users' avatars?

Sebastian Cobb

Quite big in surround sound as well,but oddly they don't seem to make much 2 channel kit.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on May 12, 2019, 10:20:31 AM
Superstitious Vampire Anxiety Types in Eastern Europe are known to leave piles of rice on window ledges.... Vampires feel compelled to count each grain of rice before they can enter the house and suck their baby daughter's neck.

He's called The Count for many reasons.... Deep, profound shit.

Even if you covered an entire windowsill in rice it wouldn't take all night to count it. It wouldn't even take more than a couple of hours. Plus it's something you can do extremely quietly so as not to disturb the victim. Just get some of that mosquito net stuff instead.

Mate people in the past were fucking stupid

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 13, 2019, 11:06:53 AM
Even if you covered an entire windowsill in rice it wouldn't take all night to count it. It wouldn't even take more than a couple of hours. Plus it's something you can do extremely quietly so as not to disturb the victim. Just get some of that mosquito net stuff instead.

Mate people in the past were fucking stupid

You'd hear him though.

"One, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Two HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Three, MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, etc."

alan nagsworth

Ah yes I forgot vampires were also fucking stupid, fair enough

phantom_power

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 13, 2019, 11:06:53 AM

They have windowsills that vibrate slightly, moving the rice around meaning the draclea has to start again all the time. Don't imagine they haven't thought this through

Replies From View

Has anyone ever covered an entire windmill in rice I wonder.

Quote from: Twed on May 12, 2019, 08:41:21 PM
Yamaha are pretty much responsible for 80s music. They pioneered commercial FM/phase modulation synthesis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Ha0MMT0aA

Also their NS10 speakers with the famous white cones were ubiquitous in 80s music studios.