Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:17:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on January 15, 2019, 11:18:59 PM
At that point we could all just pirate them too though.

Yes, but... look, just let me justify not paying for stuff and pirating shit, okay?!

Spudgun

Quote from: kalowski on January 15, 2019, 09:22:54 PM
I love it when a DVD claims 'scene selection' as a special feature.

Even better is when they proudly proclaim there to be "Two hours of special features" or something - and 1:59 of that is the length of the director's commentary.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Spudgun on January 16, 2019, 12:44:52 AM
Even better is when they proudly proclaim there to be "Two hours of special features" or something - and 1:59 of that is the length of the director's commentary.

Still better than a 'making of', which is usually a 12 minute, 57 second video consisting of...

50% interviews with the cast, filmed for publicity purposes on set, talking about how amazing the film is and how everyone involved is so talented and how rainbows shoot out of the director's butthole and 50% clips from the film which you've just watched.

This is usually accompanied by a separate special feature listed as 'cast & crew interviews', which consists of...

80% the exact same publicity interviews from the 'making of' and 20% new material, which features the cast describing the plot of the film which you've just watched.

JesusAndYourBush

It's annoying when a DVD contains a whole load of little videos for the special features, for example each one is maybe around 7 to 10 minutes long and there's about 12 of them, but after watching each one you're dumped back to the menu so you have to select the next one - but there's no option to just play the bloody lot one after the other.

St_Eddie

I neglected to mention that my DVD of Blood Simple genuinely lists one of the special features as 'full screen'.  Not only is that not a special feature but it implies that the film is an inferior pan & scan version.

SPECIAL FEATURES: Trailer, Scene Selection, Less of the Intended Picture on Your Telly.

Blood Simple: The Philistine Edition.

No irritating black bars at the top and bottom of your screen, guaranteed.

greenman

On the "Not very obvious things you've realised" side after watching The Favourite, Rachel Weisz is 4 years older than Olivia Coleman.

Icehaven

Just how much of the awful Stock Aitken and Waterman stuff from the 80s was covers of 60s and 70s (often Northern Soul) songs. I mean I knew a lot of them were but every now and then some song will come on the radio and I'll think "Kylie did that back in...oh, there's another one." No wonder they were so maligned.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 16, 2019, 02:43:29 AM
I neglected to mention that my DVD of Blood Simple genuinely lists one of the special features as 'full screen'.  Not only is that not a special feature but it implies that the film is an inferior pan & scan version.

SPECIAL FEATURES: Trailer, Scene Selection, Less of the Intended Picture on Your Telly.

Blood Simple: The Philistine Edition.

No irritating black bars at the top and bottom of your screen, guaranteed.

With Widescreen movies My Dad just uses the 'Zoom' function on the remote until no black bars are visible and he's watching an even more tightly-cropped version than a Pan & Scan.  I've given up trying to explain to him.

Icehaven

In the Eminem song 'Stan', the name is an amalgam of Stalker/Fan and it's a common term. Dunno if he actually coined it or just used it though.

Cuellar

The term 'stan' came from the song didn't it? Or is that the joke?

Icehaven

Quote from: Cuellar on January 16, 2019, 03:44:30 PM
The term 'stan' came from the song didn't it? Or is that the joke?

No I wasn't joking, I'm not sure if Eminem was the first to use it or not, but given it's not just a random name he picked for a song about an obsessive fan but a portmanteau of 'stalker' and 'fan' I don't know if it was already a term and he made a song about it, or he actually coined it.

Cuellar

Ah right - probably owes no little amount to the fact that it rhymes with 'fan', but I think the term came about because of Eminem.

'Anyways, I hope you get this man, hit me back,
Just to chat, truly yours, your biggest fan
This is Bert'

studpuppet

Quote from: Cuellar on January 16, 2019, 03:56:52 PM
Ah right - probably owes no little amount to the fact that it rhymes with 'fan', but I think the term came about because of Eminem.

'Anyways, I hope you get this man, hit me back,
Just to chat, truly yours, your biggest fan
This is Bert'

Alan works just as well.

Replies From View

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 16, 2019, 02:17:47 AM
It's annoying when a DVD contains a whole load of little videos for the special features, for example each one is maybe around 7 to 10 minutes long and there's about 12 of them, but after watching each one you're dumped back to the menu so you have to select the next one - but there's no option to just play the bloody lot one after the other.

Especially when that content is just promotional stuff that was on youtube in the lead up to the film's release.

Replies From View

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on January 16, 2019, 11:01:08 AM
With Widescreen movies My Dad just uses the 'Zoom' function on the remote until no black bars are visible and he's watching an even more tightly-cropped version than a Pan & Scan.  I've given up trying to explain to him.

Bravo to your dad for sticking with a 4:3 telly after all these years.  Doesn't he ever sense that all TV these days has an alarming amount of stuff going on that he can't see?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on January 16, 2019, 11:01:08 AM

Hit him over the head with a baguette.  That'll learn him.

If it doesn't, then keep hitting him over the head with a succession of baguettes, each one slightly more stale than the last.  Eventually he'll get the picture, both metaphorically and literally.

It should be noted that by using this technique, your Dad may develop a paralysing fear of baguettes but necessary progress demands its costs (and a lot of baguettes).

Replies From View

Gove, as in Michael Gove, uses the first four letters of the word Government, which may explain why he is allowed to be in one.

Twed

Quink is a real type of ink, and not just something made up for Catterick. I buy bottled ink it's ridiculous that I didn't know this.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: icehaven on January 16, 2019, 09:49:07 AM
Just how much of the awful Stock Aitken and Waterman stuff from the 80s was covers of 60s and 70s (often Northern Soul) songs. I mean I knew a lot of them were but every now and then some song will come on the radio and I'll think "Kylie did that back in...oh, there's another one." No wonder they were so maligned.

He also copied their 'production line' style of working, but replaced most of the session musicians with synths and drum machines and that.

studpuppet

Quote from: Twed on January 16, 2019, 08:47:59 PM
Quink is a real type of ink, and not just something made up for Catterick. I buy bottled ink it's ridiculous that I didn't know this.

It also has a long history (although I've never heard about the Filipino inventor story until literally just now).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quink

lazyhour

A Nintendo game titles one:

"Paper Mario" is (presumably deliberately) very close to "Super Mario".

Even more obvious in Japanese:
スーパーマリオ
ペーパーマリオ

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on January 16, 2019, 08:47:59 PM

Still, useful when you're stuck in a mansion and surrounded by zombies.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Replies From View on January 16, 2019, 05:09:54 PM
Bravo to your dad for sticking with a 4:3 telly after all these years.  Doesn't he ever sense that all TV these days has an alarming amount of stuff going on that he can't see?

Oh he does have a 16:9 TV but lot of movies are 21:9 so they still have the black bar situation going on.

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 16, 2019, 05:44:36 PM
Hit him over the head with a baguette.  That'll learn him.

If it doesn't, then keep hitting him over the head with a succession of baguettes, each one slightly more stale than the last.  Eventually he'll get the picture, both metaphorically and literally.

It should be noted that by using this technique, your Dad may develop a paralysing fear of baguettes but necessary progress demands its costs (and a lot of baguettes).

Ah, The French Method! I'll try that if my initial plan of taping black bars to his reading glasses should yield no results.

Replies From View

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on January 17, 2019, 10:43:17 AM
Oh he does have a 16:9 TV but lot of movies are 21:9 so they still have the black bar situation going on.

Fuck are they 21:9 for.  Just have them as 16:9.

I'm with your dad on this to be honest.  If they're going to keep thinning films down to the point where you're squinting at a 30cm ruler in the distance then of course you have to zoom in.

Also dads have worse eyesight than their children; it says so.  We don't understand what it is like to be them with their eyes.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on January 17, 2019, 10:53:22 AM
I'm with your dad on this to be honest.  If they're going to keep thinning films down to the point where you're squinting at a 30cm ruler in the distance then of course you have to zoom in.

Also dads have worse eyesight than their children; it says so.  We don't understand what it is like to be them with their eyes.

What is this nonsense?  I mean really!  Even Mr. Magoo's pet mole knows to watch a film in its correct aspect ratio.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Replies From View on January 17, 2019, 10:53:22 AM

I must admit it's something that gets on my nerves whenever I'm looking at potential new Blu Ray purchases & I find out that one of the few movies I actually want a high-quality copy of won't even fill my screen. As if it's not offputting enough already that hardly any Blu Rays even have Extra Features beyond a trailer that you could just watch on Youtube.

pigamus

Kraftwerk aren't actually having fun, fun, fun on the autobahn.

Pranet

the simplemachines logo isn't actually a helicopter.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

That's one fucked helicopter if it was one. If my understanding of aerodynamics is correct, it would constantly veer to the side, therefore contravening multiple air safety laws.