Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:10:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

St_Eddie

Quote from: pancreas on May 29, 2019, 11:57:10 PM
Nickelodeon, an odeon which only costs a nickel.

Similarly, Poundstretcher got its name by selling stretchers which only cost a pound.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on May 30, 2019, 05:08:47 PM
Similarly, Poundstretcher got its name by selling stretchers which only cost a pound.

I can remember when urions were still a cent and nsions were a dime.

seepage

touchingcloth

Virgin Trains staff hang around at the automatic ticket barriers on platforms serving other operators besides them for...no reason that I can discern.

Cuellar

Icehaven

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 31, 2019, 12:46:16 PM
Virgin Trains staff hang around at the automatic ticket barriers on platforms serving other operators besides them for...no reason that I can discern.

They (well the ones at Birmingham New st. anyway) help with any enquiries about train times or delays etc, and let you through the barriers if you've got a ticket that can't or won't operate them (e.g.Network Daytrippers bought on a bus, shitty printout, bust QR code or whatever etc.) It's probably an 'elf and safety thing too, there has to be staff near the barriers at all times in case someone gets chopped in half by them or something.
Whether they're actually Virgin staff or are just general station staff in Virgin branded uniforms I have no idea, but they don't tell you to fuck off if your problem or question isn't Virgin related or anything. Be funnier if they did, but they don't.

Paul Calf

The 1991 single "Getting Away With It" was released by Electronic, not The Pet Shop Boys as I'd unquestioningly assumed until about two minutes ago.

Twed

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 31, 2019, 06:30:14 PM
The 1991 single "Getting Away With It" was released by Electronic, not The Pet Shop Boys as I'd unquestioningly assumed until about two minutes ago.
Neil Tennant guest vocals though.

Sin Agog

1) Just noticed the posts on here are numbered.

2) Most women probably shit themselves at some point when they're giving birth.

kittens

the thing they don't tell you is the baby always eats the shit once it's out. you can't stop it.

Replies From View

Quote from: kittens on May 31, 2019, 09:30:50 PM
the thing they don't tell you is the baby always eats the shit once it's out. you can't stop it.

Ask any mother about their baby's first meal and observe their face blanching to hell and back.

buzby

Quote from: olliebean on June 01, 2019, 12:05:06 AM
And co-wrote the lyrics.
Tennant and Loww also wrote and performed on Patience Of A Saint on Electronic's debut album too.
and Tennant wrote the melody and lyrics of their fourth (and highest-charting) single Disappointed

Quote from: buzby on June 01, 2019, 12:44:16 AM
Tennant and Loww also wrote and performed on Patience Of A Saint on Electronic's debut album too.
and Tennant wrote the melody and lyrics of their fourth (and highest-charting) single Disappointed
Also Marr did a few bits of guitar on various PSB songs.

On the 1990 album Behaviour:
        "This Must Be the Place I Waited Years to Leave" - guitar
        "My October Symphony" - guitar 
    Bonus tracks on the 1993 single "Can You Forgive Her?":
        "I Want to Wake Up" (Johnny Marr 1993 Mix and Johnny Marr Groove Mix) - remixes   
    B-side of the 1994 single "Liberation":
        "Decadence" - guitar 
    On the 1996 album Bilingual:
        "Up Against It" - guitar and backing vocals 
    On the 2001 album Release:
        "Home and Dry" - guitar   
        "I Get Along" - guitar   
        "Birthday Boy" - guitar   
        "E-mail" - guitar   
        "Love Is a Catastrophe" - guitar   
        "The Night I Fell in Love" - guitar   
        "You Choose" - guitar 
    B-side of the 2002 single "I Get Along":
        "Between Two Islands" - guitar
    B-side of the 2003 single "Flamboyant":
        "I Didn't Get Where I Am Today" - guitar
    On the 2009 album Yes:
        "Beautiful People" - guitar and harmonica   
        "Did You See Me Coming?" - guitar
        "Building a Wall" - guitar
        "Pandemonium" - guitar and harmonica

Twed

Really shitty one: I've just realised why US bathroom stalls in public spaces are so obtuse (no occupied indicator on the exterior lock, doors close completely whether occupied or not)

https://twitter.com/AMarch4OurLives/status/1122919772004454400

zomgmouse

The phrase "cut to the chase" literally refers to cutting to a scene in a film with a chase scene.

Cuntbeaks

phantom_power

Quote from: buzby on May 28, 2019, 03:19:34 PM
Both songs do also feature string arrangements by Wil Malone, though Massive Attack's isn't nicked from anywhere. Mushroom had to sell his car (a Mitsubishi Shogun) to fund the hiring and recording of the string section for Unfinished Sympathy at Abbey Road.

And here's me imagining them all crammed into Neneh Cherry's kitchen. Disappointed

Replies From View

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on June 03, 2019, 12:52:41 PM
What's App seems to be a play on Whats Up

Kind of.

It's WhatsApp and What's up.

It's a stupid, shit name and I hope that whoever's responsible has died of it.

touchingcloth

Most planes I've ever flown on were probably built after smoking on flights was prohibited, and yet they all have ashtrays in the loos.

This is probably the kind of thing where Buzby will turn up to say that the planes are built to an old design and it'd be to much admin and expense to rectify then sans ashtrays, but I've definitely been on planes where the whole model is recent and they've had them and all.

hedgehog90

BUZBY IS NOT AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW. YOUR QUESTION HAS BEEN FORWARDED TO ONE OF OUR TRAINEES.

Good evening, sir/madam,

Yes, planes are built to an old design and it'd be too much admin and expense to rectify them sans ashtrays, and while you may have been on planes where the whole model is recent and they've had them and all, you are probably mistaken.

NOT SATISFIED WITH YOUR ANSWER? TRY GOOGLE.

touchingcloth

samadriel

Cerys

God's Obviously Omniscient Gonads Lack Effability.

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 04, 2019, 02:00:48 AM
Most planes I've ever flown on were probably built after smoking on flights was prohibited, and yet they all have ashtrays in the loos.

This is probably the kind of thing where Buzby will turn up to say that the planes are built to an old design and it'd be to much admin and expense to rectify then sans ashtrays, but I've definitely been on planes where the whole model is recent and they've had them and all.

My understanding is that they put ashtrays so that people still have somewhere safe to put their cigarette ends if they do decide to break FEDERAL LAW out of desperation, and don't put them in the paper bin and then set fire to the entire plane.

Incidentally the famous smoke alarms fitted into plane toilets are silent, so as not to panic the passengers presumably.  I know this because I once took an EgyptAir flight to South Africa in which there were queues of people waiting to go into the toilets for a smoke, their cigarettes barely hidden atop their ears.  A light outside the toilet cubicle was flashing incessantly, and the stewards either didn't care, or had just given up trying to control the passengers.

Why do planes always have the following sign in the toilet facilities?

More courteous would have been not pissing all over the toilet seat, but at least the sink is dry.

buzby

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 04, 2019, 02:00:48 AM

It's in the US FAA Airworthiness Regs that there has to be a fireproof cigarette receptacle in a lavatory, even though smoking was banned in 2002:
(f) Smoking is not allowed in lavatories. If smoking is allowed in any area occupied by the crew or passengers, an adequate number of self-contained, removable ashtrays must be provided in designated smoking sections for all seated occupants.

(g) Regardless of whether smoking is allowed in any other part of the airplane, lavatories must have self-contained, removable ashtrays located conspicuously on or near the entry side of each lavatory door, except that one ashtray may serve more than one lavatory door if the ashtray can be seen readily from the cabin side of each lavatory served.
This clause dates back to the Varig Flight 820 forced landing near Orly Airport in 1973, when an improperly disposed of cigarette caused a cabin fire and the resulting smoke and carbon monoxide killed all but one of the passengers.

It's basically too much hassle to go back and change the regs to remove them for new aircraft types despite smoking having long since been banned,

Replies From View

Quote from: buzby on June 04, 2019, 12:19:06 PM
This clause dates back to the Varig Flight 820 forced landing near Orly Airport in 1973, when an improperly disposed of cigarette caused a cabin fire and the resulting smoke and carbon monoxide killed all but one of the passengers.

Was it the smoker who survived?

Norton Canes

I don't know if PC shortcuts can ever be considered 'obvious' but I've just realised that in Chrome, if you hold down CTRL and hit a number it'll switch to that tab, with 1 being the leftmost...