Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:34:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

zomgmouse

Quote from: Replies From View on June 13, 2019, 08:33:06 AM
The link?  They are both halls?

Well in the sense of... a town hall is a place of official government procedure type stuff in a town, and a city hall is the same thing... but in a city. As made famous by American legal crime films where they say lines like "I'll take you down to City Hall!"

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: machotrouts on June 12, 2019, 06:10:32 AM
The restaurant "Chick-fil-A" is actually pronounced "Chick Filet". And not, as I had assumed, "Chick Filler".
For some reason I'd imagined there was an extra A in there, "Chick-A-Fil-A", and was therefore pronounced "Chicker Filler"

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 13, 2019, 09:29:05 AM
Well in the sense of... a town hall is a place of official government procedure type stuff in a town, and a city hall is the same thing... but in a city. As made famous by American legal crime films where they say lines like "I'll take you down to City Hall!"

When you realise what a Village Hall is, you'll shit brix.

Jittlebags

The Incas invented instant mash. But not onion gravy, so they can fuck right off.

seepage

Quote from: Jittlebags on June 13, 2019, 09:49:55 AM
The Incas invented instant mash. But not onion gravy, so they can fuck right off.

it was instant mashed corn, so they died anyway. Serves them right.

seepage

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 13, 2019, 09:29:05 AM

That you can have a town hall within a town hall should also blow your mind.

a duncandisorderly

town hall town hall town hall town hall town hall is a legal & legitimate sentence in english.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: seepage on June 13, 2019, 10:12:43 AM

So that's why my old work called their quarterly regional meetings 'Town Hall', it's a lot of shite, innit?

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

I mean it doesn't make sense, all squids are damp.

Paul Calf

You should keep a sense of perspective: don't put a quest for linguistic accuracy and precision on a pedal-stool.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Darles Chickens on June 13, 2019, 09:33:30 AM
When you realise what a Village Hall is, you'll shit brix.

whoa...

Quote from: seepage on June 13, 2019, 10:12:43 AM

WHOA...

wait hang on what

seepage

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 13, 2019, 10:26:44 AM
So that's why my old work called their quarterly regional meetings 'Town Hall', it's a lot of shite, innit?

"You coming to the town hall?"
'which town hall? Uxbridge?'
"no, the town hall"
'where?'
"in the pod"
???

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: seepage on June 13, 2019, 11:17:11 AM
"no, the town hall"
'where?'
"in the pod"
???

tcha. kids these days.

Sebastian Cobb

a duncandisorderly

"no, the town hall"
'where?'
"in the pod"
???

we've got these in the park now. there's one of these things barely twenty feet from my desk. fuck's sake. it's because everyone's given up smoking- now you have to arrange your informal chats, & nothing's spontaneous any more.

Sebastian Cobb

people who send meeting requests for one-to-one meetings when they could simply go 'do you have a minute?' need graving.

seepage

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on June 13, 2019, 01:42:44 PM
we've got these in the park now. there's one of these things barely twenty feet from my desk. fuck's sake. it's because everyone's given up smoking- now you have to arrange your informal chats, & nothing's spontaneous any more.

I bet after paying for those there was no money left over for desk chairs i.e. the ones that you'll use most of the time:
"where's the Herman Miller order?"
"had to cancel it, get the school chairs back out the skip"

olliebean

City Hall > Town Hall > Village Hall > Church Hall > Stuart Hall

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 13, 2019, 09:30:55 AM
For some reason I'd imagined there was an extra A in there, "Chick-A-Fil-A", and was therefore pronounced "Chicker Filler"

I didn't know you were Italian.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 13, 2019, 03:48:52 PM
What are they?  Is it supposed to be art?

Quote from: seepage on June 13, 2019, 02:35:35 PM
I bet after paying for those there was no money left over for desk chairs i.e. the ones that you'll use most of the time:
"where's the Herman Miller order?"
"had to cancel it, get the school chairs back out the skip"

agile working here too, which means yes, there are fewer chairs in the office than there are people.
in fact, unless you're in technology & in the business of occasionally giving some recalcitrant hardware a "50Hz nap", wanking at working from home is now mandated at least one day a week.

I think people like the pods, though, because they can have a canny tab in there when it's raining.

Twed

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on June 13, 2019, 05:27:44 PM
agile working here too, which means yes, there are fewer chairs in the office than there are people
I'm sorry but what management fucko has decided that the term "agile" now applies to physical working arrangements?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Twed on June 13, 2019, 05:55:40 PM
I'm sorry but what management fucko has decided that the term "agile" now applies to physical working arrangements?

yanks, innit? it's the corporation that's becoming 'agile'.... I'm staring at the word now, & trying to think how taking up less office space with your employees by depriving them of the camaraderie & sense of common endeavour can be even remotely productive, but hell, what do I know?

the sign outside now says "inc" under the name of the company, where it used to say "networks europe". I missed that change, I was on my week off.

Twed

Did they just not know that the word was already heavily used in business environments to mean something else?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Twed on June 13, 2019, 06:02:16 PM
Did they just not know that the word was already heavily used in business environments to mean something else?

the way I deal with our colleagues & friends over the pond is to act as though they're speaking a different language that has some of the same words in it, but that don't mean the same thing. ever.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Twed on June 13, 2019, 05:55:40 PM

I've heard of sadistic call centre staff taking chairs and only giving them back when they've made sales.

Seeing banks and big corporations attempt agile is weird, the whole methodology was bourne out of them putting in too much bullshit process. From what I've heard they still haven't cut process, just started using wank names and tacking on scrum ceremony.

touchingcloth

"no, the town hall"
'where?'
"in the pod"
???

I like that the two people use different speech marks.

That's an obvious thing I've just realised. "Speech marks", because they were invented by Mark Speight.