Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:37:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

I used to wonder why the Adidas trefoil logo only had two stripes in it when Adidas is "The Brand With The Three Stripes"

Negative space innit? Ahhhhhh:

Twed

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 13, 2019, 06:48:19 PM
I like that the two people use different speech marks.

That's an obvious thing I've just realised. "Speech marks", because they were invented by Mark Speight.
Can you cut it out please? I can't keep putting your stuff in the GUFFAW thread.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 13, 2019, 06:48:19 PM
I like that the two people use different speech marks.

That's an obvious thing I've just realised. "Speech marks", because they were invented by Mark Speight.

That's true, he used them extensively in his suicide note.
Pretty hard to make out from the image but they're definitely there.

Replies From View

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on June 13, 2019, 10:17:06 AM
town hall town hall town hall town hall town hall is a legal & legitimate sentence in english.

It's also a legal and legitimate address.

touchingcloth

When you italicise stuff, even the full stops go slanty. Same goes for bold, but that's less surprising.

Replies From View

I have never once needed a slanty full stop ever, so they have wasted their time coming up with it.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Replies From View on June 14, 2019, 05:13:59 PM
I have never once needed a slanty full stop ever, so they have wasted their time coming up with it.

Neil? Neil, mate, he's slagging the shit out of your slanty dots. Ban him. BAN HIM IMMEDIATELY.

mjwilson

town hall town hall town hall town hall town hall is a legal & legitimate sentence in english.

How?

Replies From View

Quote from: mjwilson on June 14, 2019, 09:03:24 PM
How?

The sentence employs three distinct meanings of the words town hall:

as a proper noun to refer to a specific place named Town Hall;
as a verb (uncommon in regular usage) to town hall, meaning "to skirt, pontificate" or "to debate in circles"; and
as a noun to refer to a town hall.  The plural is also town hall.

An expanded form of the sentence which preserves the original word order is: "Town Hall halls, that other town hall halls pontificate, also engage in circular debate with town hall halls."

Gregory Torso

Deodorant = de - odour - in't.

Also "Charmin" toilet paper really should be called "Chandin" because no one sticks their entire arm up their arse when they wipe it.

NoSleep

Quote from: Gregory Torso on June 15, 2019, 09:44:38 AMAlso "Charmin" toilet paper really should be called "Chandin" because no one sticks their entire arm up their arse when they wipe it.

Nor does anyone stick an "and" up their arse, entirely or even partially.

touchingcloth

Quote from: NoSleep on June 15, 2019, 09:55:05 AM
Nor does anyone stick an "and" up their arse, entirely or even partially.

Amateur.

NoSleep

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 15, 2019, 10:25:41 AM
Amateurs.

FTFY

So somebody is getting paid to do this and it's even their chosen career path. Meanwhile, people like myself, who should be doing this just as a hobby, aren't.

olliebean

Furthermore, Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

This works because the plural of buffalo is also buffalo. However, regarding your version, I dispute this:

Quote from: Replies From View on June 15, 2019, 09:38:52 AMas a noun to refer to a town hall.  The plural is also town hall.

How is the plural of "town hall" also "town hall?" It's "town halls," surely?

touchingcloth

Quote from: olliebean on June 15, 2019, 10:19:59 PM
Furthermore, Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

This works because the plural of buffalo is also buffalo. However, regarding your version, I dispute this:

How is the plural of "town hall" also "town hall?" It's "town halls," surely?

No, it's "town hall", hence "town hall town hall town hall town hall town hall town hall town hall town hall town hall".

kalowski

Cerys

touchingcloth

The Facebooks use facial recognition to apply cat ears and whiskers to live videos of people's faces:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48663289

"Hey, human people! We've given you the kind of technology your parents' generation wouldn't have imagined was ever possible ever, let alone in their lifetimes.  Oh, and because we're feeling nice we'll make it so it runs on something which can fit in your pocket!"

"Hey again, human people! Remember that pocket-sized yet powerful tech we gave you a little while back? Just thought we'd check in and see what you did with it, if that's OK? Catching criminals with ease, I'd imagine? Or making money transfers simultaneously easier and more secure? We know, we know, there were always going to be privacy concerns about this sort of tech, but we had full confidence that you'd be able to address them, and with the time you've had them available to you those concerns must be squarely in the past by now!

Oh. You did what with it?

Why?"

kittens

not obvious out really interesting but i just realised netherlands is one missed keystroke away from being an anagram of neanderthal. if the s was a a. pretty amazing

touchingcloth

Quote from: kittens on June 18, 2019, 04:44:35 PM
not obvious out really interesting but i just realised netherlands is one missed keystroke away from being an anagram of neanderthal. if the s was a a. pretty amazing

I remember the day when I realised that "Fukushima Blow Up" is an anagram of "Pikachu has balls". So apropos.

Sebastian Cobb

Just watching the film His Girl Friday and a poet says he needs to get his rhyming dictionary.

I suppose they would be a thing, now you mention it.

zomgmouse

Replies From View

I bet he also has a special dictionary to help him win I Spy.  They always do.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 18, 2019, 11:19:06 PM
Just watching the film His Girl Friday and a poet says he needs to get his rhyming dictionary.

I suppose they would be a thing, now you mention it.
I thought of the idea for a 'thesaurus of rhymes' when I was in school and I started making one. It was called 'The Rhymenocerous'. First I discovered that rhyming dictionaries already exist, and then years later Flight of the Conchords stole the name. If it wasn't for those two things I'd be rich by now.

Replies From View

Your version would make more sense as "Rhymnosaurus" - a kind of dinosaur.