Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:59:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Plus, the main fuselage is a triangle. A fucking triangle. Sort yourself out.

Endicott

And finally, a helicopter is hardy a simple machine.

magval

I've only paid for streaming copies of things you can't buy in HD on disc (Saxondale and Mid Morning Matters, for example).

olliebean

Quote from: Endicott on January 17, 2019, 01:15:30 PM
And finally, a helicopter is hardy a simple machine.

Those little ones that fall off the trees are.

kalowski

a duncandisorderly

I'm late. been away.

Quote from: olliebean on January 05, 2019, 05:46:28 PM
I was listening to something about language the other day, I forget what it was, but I listened with horror as they claimed the word "specific" was probably going to die out, as more and more people are saying "pacific" instead. On the one hand, I know this is the way language develops and a great many of the words we use today have gone through a similar process in the past and left their original forms behind - but on the other hand, fuck people who can't get a simple common word right.

blame the folks (including erich 'love story' segal) for starting this- one of the actors pretending to be a beatle in 'yellow submarine' clearly says 'be pacific' during their journey to pepperland, presumably as a maritime pun.

Quote from: studpuppet on January 05, 2019, 11:45:19 PM
An apple was originally a napple and a butterfly was a flutterby, so there you go.

& 'orange'. an orange. it came from the spanish 'naranja'.

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on January 08, 2019, 03:48:59 PM
The O in the thread title is actually a 0.

the '0' in 'morris' is actually an 'au'.

also, it's peg PLUS cat, not peg & cat.

olliebean

Another word that a specific/pacific type change has, I think, already happened to is "tenet." I can't remember the last time I actually heard the word "tenet," as opposed to the word "tenant" when "tenet" was meant. Even from quite learned people who really ought to know better.

Icehaven

OK here's a wrong-word related (possibly) obvious thing I haven't yet realised; My band is currently in the process of getting a new singer, and we've had a few practices with one we found on join-my-band but our guitarist has also exchanged a few messages with another who he just happened to have spotted when he went on the site to get the first one's email address. When he was telling me about how he'd ended up speaking to the second singer he kept saying ''It just happened by proxy.'' He obviously means ''it just happened by chance'', but I can't work out if there's an actual word he's thinking of that means chance and is similar to proxy or if he just has completely the wrong definition of proxy.

jobotic

He meant to say happenstance. It happened by happenstance.

Icehaven

I think his Dad was Polish actually so maybe in Polish happenstance and proxy are really similar words. He doesn't speak any Polish himself and has never been to Poland but DNA is a strange thing.

Sebastian Cobb

I just realised you can sing 'gone for a pint [of tennants]' to the chorus of Rainbow's Since You've Been Gone. I love busy days like this.

hedgehog90

olliebean

"Landed Gentry" doesn't mean people who have "landed" in a privileged position by fortune of birth, as opposed to those who worked to get there. It just means people who own a lot of land.

St_Eddie

Quote from: hedgehog90 on January 21, 2019, 08:37:02 PM
Footage = a length of tape/film-stock measured in feet.

Courtesy of Techmoan.

Coo.  I never knew that!

I'm a big fan of Techmoan.  Great YouTube channel.  I love his little puppet skits that he sometimes puts on the end of his videos.

Icehaven

Tom Rosenthal wasn't an Inbetweener. He looks like he should have been, but he isn't.

touchingcloth

Quote from: icehaven on January 22, 2019, 09:18:26 AM
Tom Rosenthal wasn't an Inbetweener. He looks like he should have been, but he isn't.

His dad, Jim, on the other hand, was.

Paul Calf

QuoteThomas Roar Smith Rosenthal is an English comedian and actor. He is the son of television sports presenter Jim Rosenthal. His television roles include Marcus Gallo in Plebs and Jonny Goodman in Friday Night Dinner. He currently resides in London. Wikipedia
Born: 14 January 1988 (age 31 years), Hammersmith, London
Height: 1.8 m
Education: King's College London

Wonder where he got his big break?

touchingcloth

phantom_power

He was in Friday Night Dinner with an Inbetweener, which is where the confusion might lie

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Icehaven

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 22, 2019, 09:23:46 AM
His dad, Jim, on the other hand, was.

That's weird then.

Quote from: phantom_power on January 22, 2019, 09:34:09 AM
He was in Friday Night Dinner with an Inbetweener, which is where the confusion might lie

That's even weirder.

So close to Inbetweenerism, but not quite there.

studpuppet

petril

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 22, 2019, 09:29:50 AM
Wonder where he got his big break?

I'm just shocked his middle names aren't Live and Exclusive

touchingcloth

Quote from: icehaven on January 22, 2019, 09:45:18 AM
That's weird then.

He played Jay and used to talk about cumming in socks and lobbing jizz off balconies. Pancreas-level stuff.

Icehaven

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 22, 2019, 01:11:04 PM
He played Jay and used to talk about cumming in socks and lobbing jizz off balconies. Pancreas-level stuff.

I've never seen it (obviously, as I thought Tom Rosenthal was in it) but it sounds delightful. Also his father must look very good for his age.

studpuppet

Quote from: icehaven on January 22, 2019, 01:25:47 PM
I've never seen it (obviously, as I thought Tom Rosenthal was in it) but it sounds delightful. Also his father must look very good for his age.

Tom maybe Jack's son, but I've only just realised that he OUGHT to be Jack Klaff's.