Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:10:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

Quote from: Replies From View on June 24, 2019, 10:58:04 PM
Maybe this will put us on the right track?.....

That dry stone wall looks identical to the one I drove my Peugeot 206 into.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bazooka on June 24, 2019, 11:01:26 PM
That dry stone wall looks identical to the one I drove my Peugeot 206 into.

Do the kids also look identical to the ones who were laying dead underneath your Peugeot's chassis?

Icehaven

That picture of a couple sitting at a picnic table that I keep seeing everywhere is Boris Johnson and his missus.

olliebean

It takes only one short line in an AutoHotKey script to completely disable my Caps Lock key, a key which I've never in my whole life used deliberately except to turn it off after accidentally turning it on.

St_Eddie

Thinking about it, I reckon the only times that I've ever used my CAPS LOCK key is to enable and disable auto-run in games.

Replies From View

Imagine never starting a thread with an excited all caps title.  What a life some people lead.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on June 27, 2019, 12:45:21 PM
Imagine never starting a thread with an excited all caps title.  What a life some people lead.

There's such a thing as the SHIFT key, you know?  I've held it down on three separate occasions within this post alone.

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 27, 2019, 12:50:59 PM
There's such a thing as the SHIFT key, you know?  I've held it down on three separate occasions within this post alone.

Well no there isn't such a thing, and no you have never held it down on any occasion, not least because it doesn't exist.

Dex Sawash

There's such a thing as the SHIT key, you know?  I've held it down on three separate occasions within this post alone.

FTFYWITHCAPLOCK

samadriel

Four, surely?

St_Eddie

Twed

Quote from: olliebean on June 27, 2019, 11:19:43 AM
It takes only one short line in an AutoHotKey script to completely disable my Caps Lock key, a key which I've never in my whole life used deliberately except to turn it off after accidentally turning it on.
I map it to escape.

Twed

I am glad somebody picked up on what is in hindsight an absolute horror of a sentence.

touchingcloth

Nick Frost has never decreased.

If Albert was the fifth musketeer, who in flip was the fourth?

Colmans mustard has an actual connection to Norwich, that wasn't a Partridge invention.

Vauxhall is British.

EditGlitch Removal Person

Hi everyone, I'm back from my self-imposed hiatus and ready to start removing the edit glitch once more. It's been a revealing time for me, stepping back and thinking about what's been achieved so far. I feel I've really learned a lot in my time off, and I'm very ready to start removing the edit glitch wherever it may appear in the Cook'd and Bomb'd forums! So, all together -

Happy to help!

See you next time an edit glitch pops up! Buh-bye!

Gerald Fjord

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 27, 2019, 09:11:24 PM
Nick Frost has never decreased.

If Albert was the fifth musketeer, who in flip was the fourth?

Colmans mustard has an actual connection to Norwich, that wasn't a Partridge invention.

Vauxhall is British.

D'artagnan is the fourth innit. He meets the other three, proves himself becomes numero four-o.

I'm still waiting for the moment i realise what the edit glitch actually is.

gib

Quote from: Gerald Fjord on June 27, 2019, 10:28:41 PMI'm still waiting for the moment i realise what the edit glitch actually is.

You know when a thread has new replies then an orange 'NEW' shows next to it? For examples, see here https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=unreadreplies

Well, when you post a reply you have a couple of minutes to correct any errors. After that time you can still edit your post but the system grasses you up by adding a little message at the foot of your post saying when you modified it. With me so far? What happens now is that the thread always has the orange 'NEW' next to it until someone makes a new reply. The Edit Glitch Person simply makes a reply which adds no content to speak of but because their reply is not edited then anyone who now clicks the thread won't keep seeing the orange 'NEW'.

Gerald Fjord

Fuck me, I would never have put that together. Cheers.

gib

Quote from: Gerald Fjord on June 27, 2019, 10:38:29 PM
Fuck me, I would never have put that together. Cheers.

You're welcome. That link i posted is what i use as my CaB bookmark, so i often end up clicking on the same post over and over thinking there might be new stuff to read. As such it was hard for me to miss the way the glitch works.

machotrouts

I use the same link as my CaB bookmark, and I've known about that glitch and how it works for ages, and I've never once actually seen it. I'm frequently getting narked by clicking on a thread to read a new post and it's just a content-free post of someone "removing" the edit glitch, but I never, ever encounter the edit glitch itself. I've really been looking out for it. I've clicked on threads where the most recent post has definitely been edited after the 10-minute acceptability window, and then it's read, just as any other thread would be. It doesn't continue to haunt me. It's fine.

Does it somehow affect some users and not others? Or are you all just prone to madness?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Gerald Fjord on June 27, 2019, 10:28:41 PM
D'artagnan is the fourth innit. He meets the other three, proves himself becomes numero four-o.

I'm still waiting for the moment i realise what the edit glitch actually is.

WHAT! DOGTANIAN ISN'T ONE OF THE THREE?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!?!!?!!?!?!??!

touchingcloth

What is the glitch? For me the "new" thing disappears as soon as I read a thread.

Twed

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 27, 2019, 10:59:51 PM
WHAT! DOGTANIAN ISN'T ONE OF THE THREE?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!?!!?!!?!?!??!
Dogtanian is in the original Muskehounds, not this Musketeers spin-off that these uncultured swines are talking about.

gib

Quote from: machotrouts on June 27, 2019, 10:58:52 PM
I use the same link as my CaB bookmark, and I've known about that glitch and how it works for ages, and I've never once actually seen it. I'm frequently getting narked by clicking on a thread to read a new post and it's just a content-free post of someone "removing" the edit glitch, but I never, ever encounter the edit glitch itself. I've really been looking out for it. I've clicked on threads where the most recent post has definitely been edited after the 10-minute acceptability window, and then it's read, just as any other thread would be. It doesn't continue to haunt me. It's fine.

Does it somehow affect some users and not others? Or are you all just prone to madness?

We can conduct an experiment if no one else posts for a few minutes.

eta: hmm a few minutes more then..

eta: it seems this edit window goes on for ages, please stand by

eta: willy

eta: bum

FINALLY. now click your link before the do gooder shows up

click it again

machotrouts

Just posting to remove edit glitch :)

Okay so I can confirm – no edit glitch from the Updated Topics page, that you and I use to read CaB. Also disappears from All Unread Posts, just as it should.

BUT – after that, I tried going directly into General Bullshit and clicking this thread from there. And the NEW doesn't disappear from there! Not a problem for me, because what kind of DICK would read the forum like that, but I suppose that must be what normal edit glitch experiencers are going through, suckers and cunts the lot of them.

Doesn't explain why you'd have been seeing it though. But at least now I only have to attribute madness to the one person who is kindly helping me learn in this thread. Sorry

gib

It passes the time.

Looks like the edit window is 10 minutes, can you imagine taking that long to correct your typos, who are these people anyway.

Space ghost

biggytitbo's username is actually biggytitbo and not bigtittybo.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: gib on June 27, 2019, 10:37:33 PMWell, when you post a reply you have a couple of minutes to correct any errors. After that time you can still edit your post but the system grasses you up by adding a little message at the foot of your post saying when you modified it.

Just for the record, the time limits are ten minutes for an invisible edit and four hours for a visible one.  After that you can't edit at all, unless you ask Barry Admin very nicely to do it for you.

This is due to a chap many years ago who, when he flounced off the forum, edited every single one of his hundreds if not thousands of posts to be a (different!) picture of an owl.

The weird thing about the edit glitch is that it never used to happen.  It only started comparatively recently.

EDIT: Remember to refresh the thread before posting in it.  When I posted the above, I thought Gerald Fjord's last post was the latest in this thread.

Interesting to learn that the bug only affects those of us who are DICKs, suckers and cunts. :-)  The fact that it doesn't occur via those other two menus is very strange!