Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:19:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Hugh Grant's role in creating the environment that allows Boris Johnson to become Prime Minister remains entirely unexamined.

zomgmouse

ROZZERS
ROBBERS

same thing really, if you think about it

olliebean

Not a recent realisation, but I never realised when I was watching it as a kid that Vision On was intended for deaf kids.

imitationleather

It's a recent realisation that a lot of the bands I listened to when I was a kid would have been better if I was deaf.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on July 10, 2019, 11:31:10 AM
Not a recent realisation, but I never realised when I was watching it as a kid that Vision On was intended for deaf kids.

I always saw it as a kind of gloat against blind kids.

Cerys

Same here!  When I found that out, some time in my teens, suddenly everything made sense.  And I mean everything.  Even quantum theory.  And why our next door neighbour's poodle was such a cunt.  Happy times.

touchingcloth

Also Zzzzzzzap! was, and I had a similar moment of realisation far too late into my life.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 10, 2019, 01:42:12 PM
Also Zzzzzzzap! was, and I had a similar moment of realisation far too late into my life.

Wait, what the fuck?

Gerald Fjord

Yes, the Zzzzzzap thing blew my mind, mainly cos it seems so obvious in retrospect.

In fact the scene where Cuthbert Lilly covers his kitchen in cum was designed specifically to appeal to deaf kids, who are all rancid cumlords.

Sebastian Cobb

Imagine if they remade it, but with Viz characters, it'd be amazing.

Gerald Fjord

Fuckin 'ell, fixed the link in my previous post so my stupid shit joke makes stupid sense.

Trying to think of what Viz characters would work best in the format... Biffa Bacon?

Sebastian Cobb

Biffa Bacon would definitely have to be in there. Drunken Bakers could work.

We'd need to know how much of an effects budget we could get before considering Buster Gonads or Johnny Fartpants.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: kittens on July 10, 2019, 08:10:43 AM
i was thinking about brer rabbit yesterday and came to the conclusion that, far from being a load of nonsense like everyone assumes, 'brer' is actually short for 'brother'. in that bizarre way they would shorten things in the past by taking a bunch of stuff out the middle. i have not checked this and am not going to.

You don't need to, for you are correct.

Replies From View

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 10, 2019, 03:12:15 PM
Biffa Bacon would definitely have to be in there. Drunken Bakers could work.

We'd need to know how much of an effects budget we could get before considering Buster Gonads or Johnny Fartpants.

Has anyone ever done deep faking with a cartoon character?  I'd like to see it.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 10, 2019, 01:42:59 PM
Wait, what the fuck?

Good, innit? I think what makes you not realise is it's just a show for kids which happens to be suitable for deaf people, but doesn't signpost it as such. The heartbreaking thing is that, while I enjoyed it as a kid, I'm not sure I'd even have given it a chance if I had an inkling it was designed with the deaf in mind. Not because I've got anything against deaf people, but that's just the stupid way school kids can operate.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 10, 2019, 06:32:26 PMThe heartbreaking thing is that, while I enjoyed it as a kid, I'm not sure I'd even have given it a chance if I had an inkling it was designed with the deaf in mind. Not because I've got anything against deaf people, but that's just the stupid way school kids can operate.

Zzzzzzzap! was after my time (in fact had never heard of it until now) but for a while I was always worried about watching Vision On in case I wasn't allowed to because it was for deaf kids only.  Mum had to reassure me that it was fine for me to watch too, which I was glad about as it was one of my very favourite TV shows.

St_Eddie

petril

Quote from: Gerald Fjord on July 10, 2019, 03:08:37 PM
Fuckin 'ell, fixed the link in my previous post so my stupid shit joke makes stupid sense.

Trying to think of what Viz characters would work best in the format... Biffa Bacon?

George Bestial

Icehaven

Diary of a Teenage Health Freak and The Diary of Adrian Mole were two completely separate TV shows (based on books) that my brain has combined, with THF being subsumed by the far more famous TDOAM (of which it was a partial lift anyway) and left me wondering why I had memories of certain characters and scenes that I was sure were from Adrian Mole but didn't quite fit. Even thought Daniel Peacock was Mole's dad for years.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 10, 2019, 07:12:48 PM
It's ZZZap!, not 'Zzzzzzzap!'.

Like I said, I hadn't heard of it before, so I just copied what the original mentioner typed.

Yes, I could have looked it up, but posting via phone is enough of a pain already, thanks.

I thought ZZZap! was an old Commodore 64 magazine but that was probably spelt differently again (and had a "64").  Yup, it was: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zzap!64

St_Eddie

touchingcloth

Ferris

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: icehaven on July 10, 2019, 08:13:00 PM
Diary of a Teenage Health Freak and The Diary of Adrian Mole were two completely separate TV shows (based on books) that my brain has combined, with THF being subsumed by the far more famous TDOAM (of which it was a partial lift anyway) and left me wondering why I had memories of certain characters and scenes that I was sure were from Adrian Mole but didn't quite fit. Even thought Daniel Peacock was Mole's dad for years.

Before Adrian Mole had become hugely popular a girl at school plagiarised the part about the red socks society (culminating in them being banned from wearing them but wearing them under their other socks as a protest), submitting it as an essay.  The teacher was so impressed she read it out to the whole class.  I didn't realise she'd ripped it off until I read the book some time later.

I guess she must have got the hardback when it first came out, or some sort of pre-release copy.  To pull that kind of stunt I guess it was quite an obscure little book for a brief time before it became massive.

zomgmouse

People in Antarctica use freezers to keep their food warm

Replies From View

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on July 11, 2019, 07:59:13 AM
And the irony is that neither of the guys with beards is a drummer.

That's good because drums are like an office shredder when they are being played.

That must be why they removed all the drum kits from our workplace. Health and safety audit probably.

jobotic

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on July 11, 2019, 07:59:13 AM
And the irony is that neither of the guys with beards is a drummer.

Who? Billy Hihat and Dusty Snare? Amazing.