Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:16:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 14, 2019, 05:35:23 PM
There's a thing in tennis called a break point, which is probably where the film Point Break got its name.

It was the existence of the tennis term I've only just realised rather than the link with the film.

Point Break got its name from the surfing term.

NoSleep

TC thought he was surfing in Wimblewrong incidentally.

a duncandisorderly

touchingcloth

Quote from: Cerys on July 15, 2019, 01:27:43 AM
Point Break got its name from the surfing term.

Having learned about the tennis term yesterday, I'm going with that as the source of the film title. Why would they name it after something to do with surfing, idiot?

Ferris

St Helens is a town near Liverpool, not a town near Newcastle.

I don't know why I thought this, but there you go.

NoSleep

zomgmouse

seepage

A Phillips PH screw isn't the same as a Pozidriv screw. And it's spelt Pozidriv, not posidrive.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: seepage on July 15, 2019, 12:39:43 PM
A Phillips PH screw isn't the same as a Pozidriv screw. And it's spelt Pozidriv, not posidrive.

had a boss once who was obsessive about using the right sort of crosshead screwdriver. he referred to them collectively as 'cruciform' & would go apoplectic if he saw someone using a pozi where a phillips was required. there is at least one other sort, plus we had loads of sony gear, so there were totsu bolts to deal with too. these are somewhere between slotted & crosshead... a short slot across a long slot... & the drivers are slot looking but with a sprung steel part that would engage with the short slot & keep the bolt on the end of the driver when it eventually came out of the mixed-metal-interference-fit that its thoughtless creators had created for it.

[edit] far more than I thought, though no sign of the totsu variant on this page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw#Types_of_screw_drives

Replies From View

There is only one kind of screwdriver, and if any screw doesn't fit it then it is wrong.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Replies From View on July 15, 2019, 03:40:25 PM
There is only one kind of screwdriver, and if any screw doesn't fit it then it is wrong.

phillips-tine

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: seepage on July 15, 2019, 12:39:43 PM

I just assumed people used the names interchangeably, and Googling now I can't see much difference.  Perhaps the Pozidriv ones have a slightly smaller X??  When I encounter one I've always managed the get the bugger out using a normal screwdriver, and only on rare occasions had to resort to using a hacksaw to cut a slot to give the screwdriver enough purchase.

a duncandisorderly

Ferris

Pozi has the extra grooves to (allegedly) increase surface area and deliver more torque to the screwhead.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 15, 2019, 04:25:20 PM
Pozi has the extra grooves to (allegedly) increase surface area and deliver more torque to the screwhead.

I thought that was supadrive or however it's spell't. the angle of the flangey pointy bits is steeper too, so if the head has been painted over, you've still got a fighting chance even if you don't manage to pick out every last molecule of emulsion.

Sebastian Cobb

I had to buy a whole new tool kit recently to replace the screen in my nook, because although I had several tool sets (and bought another  31 piece cheap and nasty set from poundland) none of them seemed to go lower than t6 torx.

Anyway the tool set, which was quite nice and came with a load of spudgers and suckers for pulling screens of phones arrived with a busted up corner so now I've fixed me thing I'm going to send it back.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 15, 2019, 05:14:25 PM
I had to buy a whole new tool kit recently to replace the screen in my nook, because although I had several tool sets (and bought another  31 piece cheap and nasty set from poundland) none of them seemed to go lower than t6 torx.

Anyway the tool set, which was quite nice and came with a load of spudgers and suckers for pulling screens of phones arrived with a busted up corner so now I've fixed me thing I'm going to send it back.

Mind those torx fittings with the extra pin in the centre so you needed a torx driver with a hole in 'em? They were bastards. Anyone who used them was bastards. Bastards all the way down.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 15, 2019, 05:37:46 PM
Mind those torx fittings with the extra pin in the centre so you needed a torx driver with a hole in 'em? They were bastards. Anyone who used them was bastards. Bastards all the way down.

I bought summat from maplin (don't look for it now &c) for about twenty quid that has dozens of bits & a nice ratchetty handle thing with an extension option, & this set has all the security fittings too, including tri-lobes & things with pins/holes, & that one that's just two holes ('snake eyes' WP says). once, & once only, I needed a hex key with a hole in it, & there it was, in this set. bargain.

Ferris

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 15, 2019, 05:44:02 PM
I bought summat from maplin (don't look for it now &c) for about twenty quid that has dozens of bits & a nice ratchetty handle thing with an extension option, & this set has all the security fittings too, including tri-lobes & things with pins/holes, & that one that's just two holes ('snake eyes' WP says). once, & once only, I needed a hex key with a hole in it, & there it was, in this set. bargain.

That specific type of torx head would always be the end of my "take everything to pieces to see how it works" adventures.

Paul Calf

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 15, 2019, 05:37:46 PM

Even worse, they change the design slightly every time the patent runs out. For security, of course; nothing to do with cornering a high-margin niche market.

Ferris

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 15, 2019, 06:46:14 PM
Even worse, they change the design slightly every time the patent runs out. For security, of course; nothing to do with cornering a high-margin niche market.

...bastards

touchingcloth

Apple use pentalobe screws on a lot of their devices, which is genius because there isn't a single kind of bit besides the true thing that will open them.

Zetetic

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on June 28, 2019, 01:30:46 PM
It does seem weird though that the [edit] glitch came in with what was presumably a newer version of software.
Picking this up from a few pages back - it's a bug that I've introduced while trying to (quickly) workaround a different bug (see here).

touchingcloth

Avenue Q and Visitor Q are different things. Quite, quite different.

bgmnts

There is a dog on the boat in The Usual Suspects. So a dog gets blowed up :(.

Bit of a downer ending now.

Cerys

The dog was a complete bastard in its spare time.  Hope this helps.

Replies From View

Also it brought some high-end VHS sales to the team at Exploding Critters dot com.

kittens

Replies From View

Quote from: kittens on July 18, 2019, 03:32:38 PM
maria is female mario

No she isn't she is called Princess Veronica Plum

or in the spectrum version she is called Daisy The Egg

Replies From View

By the way Nintendo have until midnight tonight to invent a plumber with red clothes for one of their computer games and if they don't manage I reckon CaB should copyright it and name it something along the lines of MARIO.