Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:21:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: touchingcloth on August 09, 2019, 09:40:50 AM
I know TARDIS is in Dr Who (though seeing you type it in all caps makes me suspect that an obvious thing I've only just realised is that it is an acronym), but is Grade?

Grade is a cunt.  And he killed off Dr Who in the mid 80s.  But also pushed to get rid of Colin Baker, so it's not all bad.

Edit: New page Grade

gilbertharding

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 08, 2019, 07:17:02 PM
It's interesting that 150hp is a "decent" family car. Some of the fancy looking ones I've seen Jerry drive have been closer to (under, in fact) 50.

I've just googled and my small Suzuki has 64 horses powering it, and my 89 Renault 4 has 34. The idea of driving something 10 times their combined power frankly terrifies me.

When I said that, I'd just looked up the output of a Ford Focus (which I decided for the sake of argument was a standard family car) - and the source I looked up said it varied between about 60 and about 270bhp (I presume there's a Turbo Nutter Bastard option) - so I split the difference, cautiously.

Nothing should be inferred from my choice of the word 'decent'.

EBGB

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 08, 2019, 04:49:52 PM
You don't actually want answers to any of these, do you?

Horsepower is a pretty good thing to ask about. It means all kinds of things.

Between the wars, British (and French) cars were taxed on the basis of what they called Horsepower - but rather than basing this on the actual amount of work an engine was capable of, they used a mathematical formula based on the geometry of the engine's pistons - and so as technology improved the Rated Horsepower (which might be a number like '8' for a family car) would bear no relationship to the amount of power the engine could actually make...

...which brings us to Horsepower which in Britain equates to about 745Watts (a Watt is a unit of work, which is energy over time). 745W is supposed to equate to the power output of a horse - hence the name. Brake Horsepower is supposedly the amount of power available before you have allowed for all the inefficiencies and losses involved because of friction and such (but mainly, I suspect, used by people to make them sound more knowledgeable than because they know what they're talking about).

There are different standards for measuring this in different countries (predictably there are Imperial, Metric and American horse powers) so it's not that useful, except as a shorthand.

A decent modern family car gives about 150bhp. The top of the range Ferarri makes about 700bhp.

I've no idea if knowing (or even 'knowing') something about what's going on in there might make you a better driver (in terms of making your car perform more efficiently, rather than necessarily faster) than someone with no clue or interest. I mean, presumably you generally get where you want to, when you want to, and your cars last the usual 150k miles plus?

I'm not a mechanic or an engineer, or a petrol head (really) but I am interested in machines, and have fixed my own cars, and I like to think being able to visualise and 'feel' what's going on makes driving better, even if I'm not a better driver. But then, it won't be long before the only things which know how to drive will be the machines themselves.

Anyway - where is Buzby?

HP gives an idea of oomph, but it's torque that gives an idea of fun. 

Replies From View

Bird's Eye Potato Waffles and Dairylea Triangles are not the same product.

touchingcloth

Celtic and Rangers aren't rivals because they're from different Scotch cities. They're both Glasgow and it's somehow a prots/caths thing, like they're Irish or sutin.

petril

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 10, 2019, 07:15:21 PM
Celtic and Rangers aren't rivals because they're from different Scotch cities. They're both Glasgow and it's somehow a prots/caths thing, like they're Irish or sutin.

well, the Rangers lot are insistently very not Irish, which is a big part of the whole sectarian mess

Replies From View

What's the difference between Rangers and Jolly Ranchers?

petril

Quote from: Replies From View on August 10, 2019, 10:20:01 PM
What's the difference between Rangers and Jolly Ranchers?

Jolly Ranchers have the pricks on the outside

Johnboy

'They are all ..... by the time I've finished with them' which is often used here is from This Morning with Richard not Judy. A show I've not watched since it was aired.

...28 years old I was....Ahhh etc.

Replies From View

Quote from: petrilTanaka on August 11, 2019, 12:10:18 AM
Jolly Ranchers have the pricks on the outside

Hello I don't understand what this means ok cheers

Replies From View

Quote from: Special K on August 11, 2019, 10:21:43 AM
'They are all ..... by the time I've finished with them' which is often used here is from This Morning with Richard not Judy. A show I've not watched since it was aired.

...28 years old I was....Ahhh etc.

I think they may have been doing it in their earlier stuff too.

Poobum

Phoenix Down from the Final Fantasies refers to feathery down and isn't to do with you having fallen down and being able to get up.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Poobum on August 11, 2019, 11:07:17 AM
Phoenix Down from the Final Fantasies refers to feathery down and isn't to do with you having fallen down and being able to get up.

Oh yes! I never used to read it in the way you did about the character being down, but I think I used to read it as a bit of an exclamation - Phoenix Down! - with down essentially being a nonsense word in the same way as materia.

I wonder if it's a quirky translation and the original is closer to feather than to down specifically? In FF7 that would certainly fit a pattern of...ropey translations.

I enjoyed that observation, Poobum.

EBGB

Quote from: Poobum on August 11, 2019, 11:07:17 AM
I had a similar problem with 'Black Hawk Down' for years.  Where was it?

NoSleep

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 11, 2019, 12:00:22 PM
I wonder if it's a quirky translation and the original is closer to feather than to down specifically? In FF7 that would certainly fit a pattern of...ropey translations.

The original Japanese literally translates to Phoenix Tail.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: EBGB on August 11, 2019, 12:13:19 PM

Inside puffy jackets

EBGB

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 11, 2019, 12:35:01 PM
Inside puffy jackets
Oh, that makes more sense.  I'd been thinking Sussex or similar.  Ta.  ;)

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 11, 2019, 12:35:01 PM
Inside puffy jackets

Homophobia directed at coats now?

It doesn't surprise me, this place is on it arse.

touchingcloth

I've never seen the film, but I always assumed it was about a helicopter - Black Hawk - which crashed. Down. I think my brain only really assigns the word feathery connotations if it follows "duck", and yet surely of all the phrases "duck down" must be one of the easiest to misinterpret.

Quote from: NoSleep on August 11, 2019, 12:16:10 PM
The original Japanese literally translates to Phoenix Tail.

Nice, thanks.

Icehaven

The new banks Monzo and Metro are two separate things.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm conflicted about Monzo. On the one hand big banks are pricks. On the other, they're basically just freeloading on the banking infrastructure built by the big banks. A recent example is them fucking up and putting pins in log files and forcing people to reset them at atms, none of which are theirs. In fairness they acted responsibly with the actual breach and disclosure, which is more than a lot of banks would've done.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 11, 2019, 04:32:09 PM
On the one hand big banks are pricks. On the other, they're basically just freeloading on the banking infrastructure built by the big banks.

Yeah but mugging off big banks is completely fine by me. Who cares, they're robbing cunts who freeload off the taxpayer when they go tits up. We paid for those ATMs, I'm not fussed who gets to own them

EBGB

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 11, 2019, 06:37:51 PM
We paid for those ATMs, I'm not fussed who gets to own them
I'm seriously fussed who pays to use them, though.

petril

Northern Ireland, clue's in the name

magval

Replies From View

Quote from: magval on August 11, 2019, 09:01:27 PM
'Creature of Havoc' is a pun.

Yes it was the working title for the first Nuns on the Run film.

Cuellar

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 11, 2019, 04:32:09 PM
I'm conflicted about Monzo. On the one hand big banks are pricks. On the other, they're basically just freeloading on the banking infrastructure built by the big banks. A recent example is them fucking up and putting pins in log files and forcing people to reset them at atms, none of which are theirs. In fairness they acted responsibly with the actual breach and disclosure, which is more than a lot of banks would've done.

I was halfway through signing up for a Monzo account and then they said 'Hey cool, almost done, just send us a video of you saying, into the camera, "Hi, I'm Cuellar and I want to open a Monzo account!"'

I immediately closed the app and didn't go any further. Is that mad of me? It felt wrong. Is it different to going into a bank branch and saying the same thing to a cashier? I suppose Monzo would have the footage for ever and could use it to create some sort of deepfake of me sucking them off.

EBGB

Quote from: Cuellar on August 12, 2019, 10:06:48 AM
I was halfway through signing up for a Monzo account and then they said 'Hey cool, almost done, just send us a video of you saying, into the camera, "Hi, I'm Cuellar and I want to open a Monzo account!"'

I immediately closed the app and didn't go any further. Is that mad of me? It felt wrong. Is it different to going into a bank branch and saying the same thing to a cashier? I suppose Monzo would have the footage for ever and could use it to create some sort of deepfake of me sucking them off.
I get your point.  I never have & never will understand the urge to take selfies, so when Revolut needed a pic of me recently to do the security check to open an a/c, I was completely weirded out.  But I wanted their services, so complied.  A video, though, would have been a step too far.  Oof.