Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:03:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBGB

Free parking.  Between the hours of 8:00 - 6:00. Two hours max.  No return within 1 hour.

I've only actually *understood* that last sentence in the embarrassingly recent past.  Prior to which I felt genuinely guilty at arriving back at the car within an hour of parking.  I'm 46.

kalowski

Quote from: EBGB on August 12, 2019, 12:16:06 PM
Free parking.  Between the hours of 8:00 - 6:00. Two hours max.  No return within 1 hour.

I've only actually *understood* that last sentence in the embarrassingly recent past.  Prior to which I felt genuinely guilty at arriving back at the car within an hour of parking.  I'm 46.
Brilliant. I love it.

"Why have you bought all these boxes of cereal?"
"I had another thirty minutes spare before I was allowed back to the car. I had to do something."

NoSleep

Quote from: Cuellar on August 12, 2019, 10:06:48 AM
I was halfway through signing up for a Monzo account and then they said 'Hey cool, almost done, just send us a video of you saying, into the camera, "Hi, I'm Cuellar and I want to open a Monzo account!"'

I immediately closed the app and didn't go any further. Is that mad of me? It felt wrong. Is it different to going into a bank branch and saying the same thing to a cashier? I suppose Monzo would have the footage for ever and could use it to create some sort of deepfake of me sucking them off.

Do you think they would have doublechecked the content of any video you posted? You could have either sent one of your floor or left them a more elaborately inappropriate message.

Sebastian Cobb

I imagine it's not a legal thing, more for marketing bullshit (perhaps they may use you in an ad in the future?). The reason you say that to a cashier is so they know what forms to give you, forms you've presumably just filled out online. Besides, you don't need to do this bullshit to apply for a credit card online do you?

EBGB

Quote from: kalowski on August 12, 2019, 12:32:20 PM
Brilliant. I love it.

"Why have you bought all these boxes of cereal?"
"I had another thirty minutes spare before I was allowed back to the car. I had to do something."
It had been to explained to me, it just didn't make sense ... yet I like your version better.

Replies From View

Quote from: NoSleep on August 12, 2019, 12:39:48 PM
Do you think they would have doublechecked the content of any video you posted? You could have either sent one of your floor or left them a more elaborately inappropriate message.

And yet more appropriate at the same time.

Ferris

Bollocks I had a really good one of these but wasn't near wifi and now I've forgotten it.

Dex Sawash

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 13, 2019, 02:09:37 AM
ftfy

From a Canadian cell phone provider?! I'd need very deep pockets.

Also, British wifi is a bit mad isn't it? Very invasive - "give us your email and cell phone number and your name and then we'll monitor everything you do" nah you're alright Ember Inns (or whatever shit company is trying it on today)

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 13, 2019, 02:18:14 AM

Also, British wifi is a bit mad isn't it? Very invasive - "give us your email and cell phone number and your name and then we'll monitor everything you do" nah you're alright Ember Inns (or whatever shit company is trying it on today)

Pro tip: those things are almost always designed with the sensible assumption in mind that you won't have access to email to be able to verify your sign up, so although they ask you for your email they have no way of checking it actually belongs to you before setting you free on the internet. I always sign up as adolf@hitlerfamily.com

Norton Canes

Mostly when people say 'anal' they actually mean 'anally retentive'

Mostly

NoSleep

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 13, 2019, 09:01:41 AM
Pro tip: those things are almost always designed with the sensible assumption in mind that you won't have access to email to be able to verify your sign up, so although they ask you for your email they have no way of checking it actually belongs to you before setting you free on the internet. I always sign up as adolf@hitlerfamily.com

I tried that - I was handing out joke email accounts like they were going out of style but they still wanted me to give them my shoe size and what I had for breakfast before they'd let me join. In fact, most asked for a phone number if the email didn't work. I gave them one I made up, and it keeps texting that number access codes whenever I go into one of those shit chain pubs (but I don't remember which chain).

If your UK cell starts with 07962 and you keep getting texts asking to connect DrCluefarter@monsterturds.com on the wifi to a pub you've never been to, I am sorry.

Norton Canes

NoSleep

Replies From View

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 13, 2019, 11:43:15 AM
If your UK cell starts with 07962 and you keep getting texts asking to connect DrCluefarter@monsterturds.com on the wifi to a pub you've never been to, I am sorry.

It's too obviously a fake email address - everyone knows that Cluefarter isn't a doctor.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 13, 2019, 02:18:14 AM

VPN

touchingcloth

Not all of Hong Kong is on an island, and none of it is very far from the mainland.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 13, 2019, 05:12:18 PM
VPN

Unless you've made your own, I'm not sure I trust a vpn provider any more than I do The Cloud; at least the latter is bound by GDPR.

touchingcloth

Icehaven

Vape juices are marketed at young people just the way candy cigarettes used to be, bright colours and silly names and fruity flavours etc.

kittens

meso - between
pot/potam(?) - river (like how hippopotamus is river horse)
amia/ia - i dunno they just do that for places dont they

mesopotamia. place between rivers. presumably mesopotamia is between some rivers. that's cool

kalowski

Quote from: kittens on August 13, 2019, 11:12:22 PM
meso - between
pot/potam(?) - river (like how hippopotamus is river horse)
amia/ia - i dunno they just do that for places dont they

mesopotamia. place between rivers. presumably mesopotamia is between some rivers. that's cool
Greek.
Potamos (ποτᾰμός) is river. Hippos (ἵππος) is horse. Meso(s) (μέσος) specifically means "middle".
Properly cool stuff, language.

Pseudopath

Quote from: kittens on August 13, 2019, 11:12:22 PM
presumably mesopotamia is between some rivers. that's cool

The Euphrates and the Tigris, if you're curious.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: EBGB on August 12, 2019, 12:16:06 PM

You are genuinely not alone. Self defense: I don't drive.

Ferris

Quote from: kalowski on August 13, 2019, 11:18:05 PM
Greek.
Potamos (ποτᾰμός) is river. Hippos (ἵππος) is horse. Meso(s) (μέσος) specifically means "middle".
Properly cool stuff, language.

This CaB thread has done a complete loop o' Ferris. My first post after a few months lurking

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 24, 2017, 02:56:05 AM
Mediterranean = medi ("middle") terra[nean] ("world/earth").

Because it was the middle of the known world for thousands of years.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 02, 2019, 07:32:32 PM
Mesopotamia.

Between rivers.

Tigris and Euphrates.

Obvs.

Quote from: Special K on January 02, 2019, 08:36:49 PM
obvious, adjective - Easily perceived or understood; clear, self-evident, or apparent.

How is this in anyway obvious?

NoSleep

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 13, 2019, 11:54:48 PM
This CaB thread has done a complete loop o' Ferris. My first post after a few months lurking

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 24, 2017, 02:56:05 AM
Mediterranean = medi ("middle") terra[nean] ("world/earth").

Middle Earth

touchingcloth

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 14, 2019, 06:00:20 AM
Quote from: Paul Calf on January 02, 2019, 07:32:32 PM
Mesopotamia.

Between rivers.

Tigris and Euphrates.

Obvs.

Quote from: Special K on January 02, 2019, 08:36:49 PM
obvious, adjective - Easily perceived or understood; clear, self-evident, or apparent.

How is this in anyway obvious?

So I am a break this down. It's obvious because in the Language of the Ancients "meso" means "river" and "potam" means "between" so "mesopotamia" quite literally means "between rivers" when you translate Ancient to Now.

Here's where it gets super interesting, though. Mesopotamia is between two rivers, and it is actually a real place. To be accurate I should probably say "it was a real place" and "it was between two rivers" because after the Battle of Arnhem Mark Antony and Enoch Powell decided that rivers should be banned.

That is an actual satellite photo which could have been taken by Antony himself but more likely by that Chinee who he knew. I've highlighted one of the rivers in pink - the Tay - and I believe the yellow one is The River Moon but no one knows for sure since it was demolished to make way for a new country - modern day The Gamiba.

Don't forget the word - Mesopotamia - also ends in "a" which means "a", which is another reason hence why it's obvious.

Cuellar

I don't know if you're joking but that post is riddled with inaccuracies.