Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:42:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

The Grand National isn't held in Ascot, or even the Home Counties, but Liverpool.

petril

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 22, 2019, 09:53:01 PM
I just tried to mentally compile a list of Paul Simon's Fifty Ways. There aren't even close to that many.

and getting Chevy Chase to lip sync it isn't even one of them. utter shambles

Mr_Simnock

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 22, 2019, 03:49:54 PM
With probably the most famous soundbite in Canadian political history.

It's a bit sad, watching that, to realise how rare a calm, articulate disagreement discussed for 5 or more minutes has become in our media.

I've never seen that before, thanks for posting. I doubt either the press or politicians of 2019 are able to maintain that level of dialogue.

Look up the FLQ for anyone who's interested - they were a load of bastards.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on August 23, 2019, 01:14:05 AM
Malcolm Rifkind is Scottish

That's Sir Malcolm Leslie Rifkind KCMG QC to you, laddie.

My OBTYOJR is: KCMG just means "Sir", so the sobriqueted Caledonian Cunt may as well style himself "Sir Malcolm Leslie Rifkind Sir QC, cunt".

touchingcloth

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 23, 2019, 01:18:52 AM
That's Sir Malcolm Leslie Rifkind KCMG QC to you, laddie

No, to me he is, and always will be, malcolm cunt

Dex Sawash

touchingcloth

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 22, 2019, 03:49:54 PM
With probably the most famous soundbite in Canadian political history.

It's a bit sad, watching that, to realise how rare a calm, articulate disagreement discussed for 5 or more minutes has become in our media.

That link doesn't work for me. Is it the same as this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bCxp9JYdOQ? If so, is there a single sentence in it which forms the soundbite? Guy sounds like Trump. "Week-kneed bleeding hearts" is pretty much the Urquhart-ian equivalent of a modern snowflake.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 23, 2019, 01:33:31 AM
That link doesn't work for me. Is it the same as this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bCxp9JYdOQ? If so, is there a single sentence in it which forms the soundbite? Guy sounds like Trump. "Week-kneed bleeding hearts" is pretty much the Urquhart-ian equivalent of a modern snowflake.

That's the one. "Just watch me" is the famous part.

Paul Calf

I don't think that was a 'calm, articulate disagreement'. I think that was a senior politician deploying rhetorical tricks to browbeat a journalist questioning someone giving himself a load more power.

Cuellar

Norton Canes

'Askance', as in 'took look askance' doesn't mean 'sideways' but 'with an attitude or look of suspicion or disapproval'.

I must have been confusing it with 'askew' 

Cerys

FredNurke

It's both, but more common in the figurative sense these days.

touchingcloth

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 23, 2019, 02:49:05 AM
That's the one. "Just watch me" is the famous part.

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 23, 2019, 08:06:13 AM
I don't think that was a 'calm, articulate disagreement'. I think that was a senior politician deploying rhetorical tricks to browbeat a journalist questioning someone giving himself a load more power.

That was my reaction. "Just watch me" was perhaps the most horrifying bit. It's scarily close to Trump saying his popularity would be unaffected by shooting someone.

QDRPHNC

I don't want to get into a political discussion, but it should go without saying that context matters. He was no Trump, and I say that with no particular affinity for the man (Trudeau).

Paul Calf

Fair enough. For the record, I didn't think it was Trumpish, but was standard slippery-bastard-polit manoeuvring.

touchingcloth

Yes context is everything, but it's quite easy to interpret "just watch me" as "who's going to stop me?"

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 23, 2019, 03:11:18 PM
Fair enough. For the record, I didn't think it was Trumpish, but was standard slippery-bastard-polit manoeuvring.

Yes and no. I liked the honesty of the reporter (paraphrasing, "I'm ok living in a free society if the price is someone like you occasionally gets kidnapped"), but I also understand Trudeau's position - how can the leader of the country be seen to not be taking steps to protect potential victims of the FLQ, a full-on paramilitary group? His point, that he needed to takes steps against people who were trying to overthrow the government elected by the people was a fair one, I thought. For the record, he did invoke the War Measures Act against the FLQ, the one and only time it has been used in Canada during peacetime.

I can see how his language about the weak-kneed and the bleeding hearts could rub people the wrong way, especially in the fug of what passes for political discourse these days. But Trudeau was a liberal - he was pro immigration and multiculturalism, and greatly expanded welfare and social programs. My take on his comments was that he was referring to those people for whom even the idea of a militarised police force scares them into thinking their civil liberties were being taken away, whereas I think Trudeau saw it as a possibly distasteful but necessary action.

All that being said, he wasn't perfect, and continues to be a polarizing figure here in Canada. Although... if I'm being honest, it's mostly the kind of Canadian who likes Trump that hates Trudeau, so take that for what it's worth.

touchingcloth

I'm going to change topic now and raise another Obvious Thing. Just watch me.

The Dr Who thread in Picture Box does not have a subtitle of "Chinball's Revenge".

Ferris

Cursor is Latin for runner. So a "precursor" is a fancy way of saying "forerunner"

H-O-W-L

petril

Yes, Minister is a pure eighties sitcom. Always thought it started in the seventies for some reason. The sets and gloomy lighting always make me think of the seventies for some reason

beanheadmcginty

The name Obi Wan Kenobi quite blatantly contains the word "wank". Just sitting there in broad daylight. And the word "nob" now I've looked again.

kalowski

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 24, 2019, 08:58:28 PM
The name Obi Wan Kenobi quite blatantly contains the word "wank". Just sitting there in broad daylight. And the word "nob" now I've looked again.
Obviously I wank me nob, I do.

olliebean

Mervyn Peake and Melvyn Bragg are not the same person.

beanheadmcginty

Harvey Keitel is recreating a character he played TWENTY FIVE YEARS AGO in those shit adverts.

Ferris

Ambient Sheep

Well when the film first came out we made "wank nob" jokes at school about it.  2813 years old, we were.  So it's not new to me.

The "Ob I" bit is, though. :-)