Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:27:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 25, 2019, 12:33:11 AM
Harvey Keitel is recreating a character he played TWENTY FIVE YEARS AGO in those shit adverts.

Bad Lieutenant? are they ads for crack cocaine?

zomgmouse

Icehaven

Once a bottle of squash gets down to a certain level, you can fill it back up with water and put it in the fridge.

touchingcloth

Flappy Birds is a real video game, not just my dad getting confused when trying to talk about Angry Birds.

Quote from: icehaven on August 26, 2019, 07:57:11 PM
Once a bottle of squash gets down to a certain level, you can fill it back up with water and put it in the fridge.

People still drink squash?

Ambient Sheep

Yes, yes I do.

Sainsbury's No Added Sugar Double Strength Orange, Lemon and Pineapple.

Apart from one double-sized coffee first thing in the morning, I seldom drink anything else.  Perhaps I should, in case the additives are cancerous, although Sainsbury's version seems to have less of them than other people's, which is one of the main reasons I buy it.

Andy147

Gwyneth Paltrow came up with the name "goop" (partly) from her initials.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 26, 2019, 09:28:38 PM
Yes, yes I do.

Sainsbury's No Added Sugar Double Strength Orange, Lemon and Pineapple.

Apart from one double-sized coffee first thing in the morning, I seldom drink anything else.  Perhaps I should, in case the additives are cancerous, although Sainsbury's version seems to have less of them than other people's, which is one of the main reasons I buy it.

Not even... water?

kittens

touchingcloth

Tumbleweeds grow like that. They aren't random collections of weeds which build up over time like a snowball.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 27, 2019, 08:03:38 AM
Not even... water?

Only with the squash. :-)

I also have water (and even milk) with the coffee; it's a bit crunchy otherwise.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 27, 2019, 11:58:56 AM
Tumbleweeds grow like that. They aren't random collections of weeds which build up over time like a snowball.

Yeah, I only found that one out myself a year or three back, after that town somewhere got buried in them and I googled to find out more.

touchingcloth

Following on the Western vibe: Sam Elliott's moustache in The Big Lebowski is real.

idunnosomename

Cheryl Baker was in Buck's Fizz not just Record Breakers and that cooking show on Saturday mornings

Pseudopath

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 27, 2019, 07:00:41 PM
Cheryl Baker was in Buck's Fizz not just Record Breakers and that cooking show on Saturday mornings

Mate. You've got some serious retrospective wanking to be doing.

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 27, 2019, 07:00:41 PM

Quote from: Pseudopath on August 27, 2019, 07:12:06 PM
Mate. You've got some serious retrospective wanking to be doing.

...not to mention, serious surprise when you find out her real name

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheryl_Baker

touchingcloth

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen had come up a couple of times in the steampunk thread. For some reason I thought it was something like the (British) Avengers, but it's actually some steampunk comic which features as characters - and this is just the Bs - James Bond, Baldrick, and Babar the elephant. Well I never. In so many ways did I never.

kalowski

Quote from: Special K on August 27, 2019, 08:33:28 PM
...not to mention, serious surprise when you find out her real name

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheryl_Baker
And, I'd course, she was in Co-Co.

QuoteCo-Co was a six-piece British band who represented the United Kingdom in the Eurovision Song Contest 1978, staged at the Palais de Congrès in Paris, France, on 22 April 1978, with the song "The Bad Old Days". The song was written by husband-and-wife team Stephanie de Sykes and Stuart Slater. It was finally placed eleventh of the 20 entries, which at the time was the worst showing ever for a UK entry. It would not be until 1987 that any British song fared worse in Eurovision. The group were originally called Mother's Pride.

Icehaven

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 26, 2019, 08:06:29 PM
Flappy Birds is a real video game, not just my dad getting confused when trying to talk about Angry Birds.

For a long time I thought netmums was just people getting mumsnet wrong for comic effect, in the same way people say myface, bookface etc, but then I realised it's an actual site.

touchingcloth

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on August 28, 2019, 02:30:42 AM
For a long time I thought netmums was just people getting mumsnet wrong for comic effect, in the same way people say myface, bookface etc, but then I realised it's an actual site.

Yeah, I had that as well. Bombdandcookd.

Icehaven

That's not a typo in the Parliamentary suspension thread title, 'prorogue' is a word.

touchingcloth

Quote from: icehaven on August 28, 2019, 03:07:00 PM
That's not a typo in the Parliamentary suspension thread title, 'prorogue' is a word.

It's what Jeffrey Epstein was.

Sebastian Cobb

Gloria's white mate in Desmond's was Polly from The Bill.

touchingcloth

Reading about Ned Kelly, I have several.

"The Bush" doesn't refer to a particular type of geography, just to undeveloped, non-urban land. A desert or quarry could be referred to as "bush".

In spite of the fact that there aren't a great number of films about him, Ned was the subject of the world's first ever feature film.

Said film was released closer to the incidents it depicted than this year's Chernobyl.

Ferris

The alumni of my school who were at university and came back over summer to volunteer and help out with our orienteering week (and would crash us smokes and booze) weren't super cool dudes at all. They were the kind of nerds who pissed away a summer week of undergraduate life to go back to school and hang out with teachers and some children in rural North Wales.

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 29, 2019, 01:59:37 AM
The alumni of my school who were at university and came back over summer to volunteer and help out with our orienteering week (and would crash us smokes and booze) weren't super cool dudes at all. They were the kind of nerds who pissed away a summer week of undergraduate life to go back to school and hang out with teachers and some children in rural North Wales.

Says the nerd who went through a week of orienteering during the summer break without the wherewithal to buy drink.

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 29, 2019, 02:03:50 AM
Says the nerd who went through a week of orienteering during the summer break without the wherewithal to buy drink.

Used to get 2 tins of beer a week off the cool college kids, didn't I? I was the real-deal of cool, the first year guy at the university of Southampton (member of the Soton Uni Muay Thai club with the hoodie to prove it) who gave me cigarettes said so.

Checkmate, mate.

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 29, 2019, 02:14:30 AM
Used to get 2 tins of beer a week off the cool college kids, didn't I? I was the real-deal of cool, the first year guy at the university of Southampton (member of the Soton Uni Muay Thai club with the hoodie to prove it) who gave me cigarettes said so.

Checkmate, mate.

2 tins a week? Without even paying for it?

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 29, 2019, 02:16:35 AM
2 tins a week? Without even paying for it?

Might have paid for it. Probably did, looking back.

Listen - no one at the orienteering club's summer holiday week getaway in Snowdonia is coming out of this looking cool. I seem to remember playing chess in the evenings. I guess that is all part of the "obvious things" revelations.