Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:26:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Yeah my hamster has recently developed a cyst on his chest and one on his eye, as well as losing most of his fur, and I literally cannot afford even the £25 consultation. So I don't know if it's that big a scam.

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 09, 2019, 06:47:21 PM
You were this close to getting an invite to the next Ferris Family BBQ BonanzaTM!

Unfortunately, that offer is now rescinded.

I wasn't calling you a cunt, I don't think. I assumed you were dropping "reverse sear" in there with at least a touch of irony, and it struck me that people who casually talk about reverse searing things without any irony* are cunts. Consider this an apology is you were being ironic, or a doubling down if not.

*Or at least without knowing that it's a bit wank

imitationleather

Quote from: bgmnts on September 09, 2019, 07:56:59 PM
Yeah my hamster has recently developed a cyst on his chest and one on his eye, as well as losing most of his fur, and I literally cannot afford even the £25 consultation. So I don't know if it's that big a scam.

Can't you get twenty-five new hamsters for that much?

paruses

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 09, 2019, 12:04:51 PM
Yep, pet insurance is a total scam, and serves the function of pushing costs up for the rest of us for some treatments.

We did some quick calculations for the animals, and the only situations where insurance would be cost effective would be for major be breaks, as most smaller things the treatment costs would be less than the excess.

There are properly nasty things like cancer as well, but unless you pay massive premiums the treatment costs are capped at an amount which probably wouldn't touch the sides of the bills. If our animals get properly sick it'll be goodnight time.

I  sure it does push up the costs but I have not found it to be a scam on the whole. Two of mine are on expensive Petplan policies and I have made the premium back every year only through minor-ish scraps and scrapes they have had and needed stitching up.
The old boy had the start of a heart issue and so with an ECG, some vetmedalin, couple of consults, and lab work for a blood test I would be £500+ down and counting.

The lurcher, a stray who was picked up off the streets after a car hit him, is insured with a lesser company and they exclude bits after each claim. That's much more of a scam.

But aside from the medical cover there is the public liability that's included on those £5/month policies if you're worried about that side of things.

As for the cancer treatments - they just seem more cruel than kind (as already mentioned).

kalowski

Quote from: bgmnts on September 09, 2019, 07:56:59 PM
Like Jack Dee said on I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue recently, the cost of veterinary care depends on how much you're willing to spend on your bag and bricks.

kalowski

"let me try a canine-human mind-meld. It's an incredibly rare psychic power possessed only by me and three other clerks at this store. ok..ruff! ruff! oh, I'm bored! I'm restless! need change in life! ruff! like imported leather leash, ruff! blue contact lenses, ruff! 200-volt shock training collar"

Ferris

Quote from: buzby on September 09, 2019, 07:45:24 PM
I expect you know all this though - not trying to be picky or arsey, I hope you understand.

Regarding .44 in rimless for use in automatic pistol magazines, the AutoMag was developed around the .44 AMP cartridge standard, which used .44 bullets with rimless 'Magnum'-length cartridge cases, manufactured by shortening .308 Winchester rifle cases to the same length as a .44 Magnum case:

Not at all! I did know that, but I'd never heard of .44AMP. I see the pistol designed to chamber it has a rotating bolt and rear locking lugs in order to cope with (presumably?) the chamber pressure which is amusing in and of itself.

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 09, 2019, 08:02:31 PM
I wasn't calling you a cunt, I don't think. I assumed you were dropping "reverse sear" in there with at least a touch of irony, and it struck me that people who casually talk about reverse searing things without any irony* are cunts. Consider this an apology is you were being ironic, or a doubling down if not.

*Or at least without knowing that it's a bit wank

You've changed my mind. I'll send out that invite. Please come. There will be no one else there if you don't.

gib

Quote from: buzby on September 09, 2019, 07:45:24 PMTechnically .44 Magnum is a cartridge standard. The .44 refers to to the barrel/bullet diameter or 'calibre' (though for .44  the bullets are actually 0.429")

Why did they bloody well call it .44 then?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: gib on September 09, 2019, 09:07:49 PM

Cos 1 to 43 had already been taken.

B'boom, etc.

Magnum just means bigger, so the casing is longer than the standard .44

kalowski

The bullets are actually shaped like champagne bottles.

touchingcloth

Because they probably took them all themselves.

buzby

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 09, 2019, 08:52:15 PM
Not at all! I did know that, but I'd never heard of .44AMP. I see the pistol designed to chamber it has a rotating bolt and rear locking lugs in order to cope with (presumably?) the chamber pressure which is amusing in and of itself.
All those episodes of Forgotten Weapons I've watched haven't been in vain!
Yes the rotating bolt was a necessary feature to contain the chamber pressure from the Magnum cartridge. Also, I expect the people who bought them were probably the types who would do their own heavy handloads.

It's not the only large-calibre semiauto pistol with a rotating bolt either - the Desert Eagle has a rotating bolt too.

in the late 19th-early 20th century when the .44 Special cartridge standard was developed (and it's forefather .44 S&W Russian), the calibre of the bullet was measured on the outside of where it's pressed into the case. The extra thickness of the brass case took it up to .44 inches. Subsequently the standard method for measuring bullet calibres was changed to the inner diameter of the neck of the case (where it's pressed in), which for .44 calibre is .429 inches. By that time the .44 name had already long settled into standard usage, and .44 Magnum inherited it, being a development of .44 Special.

Mr_Simnock

I learned today that Tess Daley is 50, FUCKING 50! I know people are looking younger/better for far longer now but that's mental

Replies From View

"All of a sudden her entire left buttock went."

Only just realised that this common saying is a euphemism for somebody having a stroke.

touchingcloth

This one post:

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 09, 2019, 07:57:20 AM
Yeah. They used to be called 'Toot Sweets' but now they're 'Melody Pops' and made by Chupa-Chups.

One note does not a melody make! but what do your Spanish know about music, eh?

Made me realise that Chupa Chups are Spanish, but also after googling that their logo was designed by Salvador Dalí. ¡Es rodondo y dura mucho, Chupa Chups!

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 10, 2019, 12:15:59 AM
This one post:

Made me realise that Chupa Chups are Spanish, but also after googling that their logo was designed by Salvador Dalí. ¡Es rodondo y dura mucho, Chupa Chups!

Fucking hell thats mental

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 10, 2019, 12:28:56 AM
Fucking hell thats mental

Isn't it just. I'm planning to bring a firkin or two to the Ferris Family Farbecue.

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 10, 2019, 12:33:03 AM
Isn't it just. I'm planning to bring a firkin or two to the Ferris Family Farbecue.

Bring two, god knows we'll need them. Then it'll be one each!

Replies From View

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 10, 2019, 12:41:29 AM
Bring two, god knows we'll need them. Then it'll be one each!

I'll bring four or five. The only place you can get them these days is a pharmacy, and they just eat them all themselves.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Dunno if I've mentioned this before, but the name of popular CaBtributor Tallulah, Really! is a play on the words of the name of that fit actress bird Tallulah Reilly ( isn't it? ) 

Replies From View

Oh I thought it was from that Bugsy Malone song "My name is really Tallulah, my very first rule of thumb".

Icehaven

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 10, 2019, 11:16:46 AMDunno if I've mentioned this before, but the name of popular CaBtributor Tallulah, Really! is a play on the words of the name of that fit actress bird Tallulah Reilly ( isn't it? )

Quote from: Replies From View on September 10, 2019, 03:49:58 PM
Oh I thought it was from that Bugsy Malone song "My name is really Tallulah, my very first rule of thumb".

I'd always assumed it was a riff on a notorious incident on here many years ago that featured someone's very upset female relative.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on September 10, 2019, 07:37:39 PM
I'd always assumed it was a riff on a notorious incident on here many years ago that featured someone's very upset female relative.

Marrison Lord, her name was.

kalowski

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 10, 2019, 11:16:46 AM
Dunno if I've mentioned this before, but the name of popular CaBtributor Tallulah, Really! is a play on the words of the name of that fit actress bird Tallulah Reilly ( isn't it? )
Oh, really?
No, sir, O'Reilly!

Replies From View