Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:27:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petril

Quote from: sponk on September 16, 2019, 08:58:41 AM
How come they don't have adverts like that anymore? Do they just assume kids know how to cross roads these days?

adults these days are more concerned with keeping them trapped at home because of the paedo snatch squads so they can do more "they don't just disappear out all day like wot we had we they just let paedos get away with it" material

Icehaven

Quote from: sponk on September 16, 2019, 08:58:41 AM
How come they don't have adverts like that anymore? Do they just assume kids know how to cross roads these days?

They've had to spend all the PSA budget on signs and ads about not fucking about at level crossings, because apparently significant numbers of people, adults as well as children, need to be told not to go onto train tracks when there's a train coming. 

Ferris

Nobody knows where the Niña, the Pinta or the Santa Maria are, or really what happened to them. Discovered the new world, then slunk off into another dimension.

I'm amazed it hasn't been the subject of a TombRaider/Uncharted game tbh (unless it was, and I've forgotten it because I play too many video games and my mind is Swiss cheese).

paruses

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 20, 2019, 09:36:25 AM
Things I know about Cristiano Ronaldo:

• He is not the gap-toothed Brazilian famous during my youth*

Oh.*

*Good as that one seemed alright. Or a bit simple.

beanheadmcginty

Calling a venue The O2 isn't as weird and annoyingly modern as I thought it was after I realised that the London Palladium is similarly named after a chemical element and that's been around for donkey's years.

NoSleep

It's more likely named after the wooden statue of Pallas Athena that was believed to have protected Troy and then later Rome.

Paul Calf

Cerys

touchingcloth

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 20, 2019, 02:41:52 PM
Calling a venue The O2 isn't as weird and annoyingly modern as I thought it was after I realised that the London Palladium is similarly named after a chemical element and that's been around for donkey's years.

Isn't it called that because it's named after the mobile network?

Palladium telecoms.

touchingcloth

Phil Lynott's surname is pronounced with a short first syllable, like Linehan. Lynn-ut, not line-ott.

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 21, 2019, 07:48:02 AM
Johnny Marr and Andrew Marr have the same surname.

They do but the former's real name is Maher (but that's probably pronounced Marr anyway so...)

olliebean

Anneka Rice's real name is Anne Rice, like the vampire author.

Twed

Bread and Roses (2000) is a Ken Loach movie.

I found it pretty inspiring watching it 18 years ago before I really knew anything about unions and workers right and immigration.

Jockice

Johnny Marr plays guitar. Andy Crane has got no brain.

Icehaven

Replies From View

Quote from: icehaven on September 22, 2019, 12:50:41 PM
Thundercats is wordplay on Thunderclap.

Very shit wordplay if so.

THREE MUSKAHOUNDS; THERE THAT'LL DO

Quote from: Replies From View on September 22, 2019, 02:08:40 PM
THREE MUSKAHOUNDS; THERE THAT'LL DO

It was shit wordplay translated from Spanish though.  Originally it was mosqueteros / mosqueperros, which works better.

NoSleep

Quote from: olliebean on September 20, 2019, 09:30:57 PM
And that's called O2, is it?

Of course O2 isn't an element like Palladium. So they're not even similarly named.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Twed on September 21, 2019, 11:18:04 PM
Bread and Roses (2000) is a Ken Loach movie.

I found it pretty inspiring watching it 18 years ago before I really knew anything about unions and workers right and immigration.

Now go and see Land and Freedom.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 21, 2019, 08:42:43 AM
Isn't it called that because it's named after the mobile network?

Palladium telecoms.

It were named after the beer element carling in my day.

imitationleather

touchingcloth

Sodomy doesn't necessarily mean arse sex; it includes mouth and animal sex as well.

touchingcloth

From what I'm hearing even masturbation could be considered, or any other sexy act resulting in wasted seed.

Sebastian Cobb

So anything that isn't a legitimate attempt to make babby?

kalowski

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 22, 2019, 07:30:04 PM
So anything that isn't a legitimate attempt to make babby?

I guess more that it couldn't potentially turn into a wain. Sex on vadge for leisure is fine, as long as you're not strapping it up to catch the cummies. Maybe.

Icehaven

Until about 3 hours ago I'd never seen Peaky Blinders (almost a hanging offence in itself in Birmingham) and they really do all have those haircuts. I knew they were called Peaky Blinders haircuts but I thought it was just that a main character had it in one series or something. Coming from it the wrong way round as I have it's weird seeing these supposedly 1930s blokes with what to me look like anachronistic hairdos (and someone said scumbag too which I doubt was in common use in the 30s.)

buttgammon

Quote from: icehaven on September 22, 2019, 11:19:48 PM
Until about 3 hours ago I'd never seen Peaky Blinders (almost a hanging offence in itself in Birmingham) and they really do all have those haircuts. I knew they were called Peaky Blinders haircuts but I thought it was just that a main character had it in one series or something. Coming from it the wrong way round as I have it's weird seeing these supposedly 1930s blokes with what to me look like anachronistic hairdos (and someone said scumbag too which I doubt was in common use in the 30s.)

They're not always 100% with these things, but the OED's first recorded use is from the USA in 1967.

Was it in this thread that someone recently pointed out scumbag originally meant a condom? That was mindblowing!