Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:08:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: Twed on October 17, 2019, 10:18:24 PM
You are underestimating the shell options at Taco Bell. There is for example, a taco shell made out of Dorito.

I know. I posted about it.

It doesn't solve my problem. Chilli served in a big Dorito would splat all over you the moment you bit into it.

Replies From View

You are underestimating the shell options at Taco Bell. There is for example, a taco shell made out of Dorito. It comes in three flavours.

So those are minuscule yes?  Or some kind of oversized Doritos for craven fatties?

touchingcloth

Paul Calf

Quote from: Replies From View on October 17, 2019, 10:51:35 PM
So those are minuscule yes?  Or some kind of oversized Doritos for craven fatties?

Perhaps surprisingly, they're 'only' 500 calories a pop.

touchingcloth

Tim Robbins is a tall man. When Morgan Freeman calls him a "tall drink of water", the emphasis is on "tall", not "drink of water".

Sebastian Cobb

You are underestimating the shell options at Taco Bell. There is for example, a taco shell made out of Dorito. It comes in three flavours.

I'm not advocating for Taco Bell, but the world will literally burn down if I don't transfer this knowledge to you.

I like their Quesadilla and Crunchwrap, as a casing, I've not had it beaten in Britain, because we really don't do Mexican food very well. 'Cheap Goop' is right and our hipsterish 'street versions' are soggier and lumpier but ultimately still quite bland.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: buzby on October 17, 2019, 09:47:23 PM
Pizza Hut and Taco Bell are both part of Yum! Brands (as are KFC). It was originally the fast food division of PepsiCo, but was spun off as a separate company in 1997 (though they have a lifetime contractual obligation to exclusively supply PepsiCo drinks in their restaurants). It was PepsiCo who did the product placement deal with Warners and Joel Silver for Demolition Man and they decided to have the Taco Bell references redubbed and the logos replaced in post for non-US releases as Taco Bell had virtually no presence outside the US at the time.

I can't think of a film where the dubbing's far more conspicuous than the logo replacement (presumably, given it was '93 it was a matte).

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 17, 2019, 10:09:50 PM
I've learned today that The Cable Guy and Demolition Man are different films (I've never seen either). I will never go to Taco Bell, cos tacos are shit. Fajitas are the same basic idea but with a case which doesn't collapse into a million pieces the moment you take a bite.

The Cable Guy is a great film. And just to close the loop - I thought Medieval Times (the mad restaurant where you eat fried chicken while volunteers pretend to hit each other with swords) was made up for that one bonkers scene in the film, but the fucker exists. There's one in Toronto, which blew my fucking mind.

Sebastian Cobb

A guy at work lent us a loyalty card for the pub we were in and the mugshot had a photo of him in battle reenactment gear and I'm finding it difficult to take him seriously.

imitationleather

I patronised the Taco Bell in Glasgow (as in I went there, I didn't sneer at it for not being as good as Wahaca or anything). It was okay for McDonalds-level fast food. One has since opened in Newcastle and I've not been but looked at the menu and saw that they feature Doritos in the tacos now, which I thought sounded just utterly revolting.

It apparently serves beer, which I found a bit weird.

Twed

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 17, 2019, 11:45:06 PM
I like their Quesadilla and Crunchwrap, as a casing, I've not had it beaten in Britain, because we really don't do Mexican food very well.
Taco Bell isn't doing Mexican food, and certainly not well! The UK Taco Bell I've been to is identical to the US one.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Twed on October 18, 2019, 01:22:02 AM
Taco Bell isn't doing Mexican food, and certainly not well! The UK Taco Bell I've been to is identical to the US one.

What is it pretending to be then?

I certainly never suggested it was doing 'it' well.

My point about the UK not doing Mexican food still stands.

Twed

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2009-02-07-0902060466-story.html

But the main point is that it doesn't matter if the UK does it well (I agree, it doesn't). Taco Bell is too far removed from Mexican food for that to apply. All they need is the same food paste mixture and caulking gun used to fill the shells and wraps and it will (and does) taste the same.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 17, 2019, 11:12:25 PM
Perhaps surprisingly, they're 'only' 500 calories a pop.

It's good job they don't serve them in giant Pringles then!

touchingcloth

Quote from: Twed on October 18, 2019, 01:46:30 AM
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2009-02-07-0902060466-story.html

But the main point is that it doesn't matter if the UK does it well (I agree, it doesn't). Taco Bell is too far removed from Mexican food for that to apply. All they need is the same food paste mixture and caulking gun used to fill the shells and wraps and it will (and does) taste the same.

My Mexican mate says Taco Bell makes authentic Mexican food that's just like his mama used to make, and he says it in an Italian accent like a proper Mexican.

Dex Sawash

Thought about maybe getting a Taco Bell seven layer burrito at lunch today. Didn't go.

Replies From View

touchingcloth

Dunkirk and the Battle off Britain happened early on in WWII.

Replies From View

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 20, 2019, 08:58:26 PM

I hope this was deliberate; it's a much better name.

gilbertharding

gilbertharding

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 20, 2019, 08:58:26 PM

We know that now, but they didn't at the time.

Twed

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 21, 2019, 03:57:38 PM
This is:

When did they change the letter style on the seal?

They had a weird Asian theme on the second to last series

Paul Calf

Ahhhhhhh...the C&A logo was intended to resemble a wax seal.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: olliebean on October 18, 2019, 12:28:36 PM
It's "sealing wax," not "ceiling wax."

As a kid I once found a stick of sealing wax in a box of stuff in in a cupboard and asked what it was.  I heard the answer as "ceiling wax" and wondered how you'd get it on the ceiling.  I think at a later date I asked and received clarification.

Sherman Krank

I've just realised that Boris Johnson is literally a big fat liar.
Yet you rarely see him with his pants on fire.

I suppose it could be that his bodyguards all carry little fire extinguishers under their jackets and are constantly putting his arse out just off camera.

Sherman Krank

I've just realised that Donald Trump is literally a big fat liar.
Yet you rarely see him with his pants on fire.

I suppose it could be that his bodyguards all carry little fire extinguishers under their jackets and are constantly putting his ass out just off camera.

Sherman Krank

Does anyone perchance know a commonly used North Korean slang word for one's posterior?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Twed on October 21, 2019, 04:24:01 PM
They had a weird Asian theme on the second to last series

An unexplained theme, wasn't it? I wonder if they meant to make something of it that never came to fruition.

Quote from: Sherman Krank on October 21, 2019, 07:57:52 PM
Does anyone perchance know a commonly used North Korean slang word for one's posterior?

You need the North Korean slang for "pants", surely?

touchingcloth