Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:04:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on January 02, 2019, 01:37:04 PM
But with soaps being so fragrant now, who can resist a nibble? Mmm, coal tar...

Not if they can dry your hands.  Go with Dove.

Paul Calf

Mesopotamia.

Between rivers.

Tigris and Euphrates.

Obvs.

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 02, 2019, 07:32:32 PM
Mesopotamia.

Between rivers.

Tigris and Euphrates.

Obvs.

obvious, adjective - Easily perceived or understood; clear, self-evident, or apparent.

How is this in anyway obvious?

Paul Calf

Meso/mezzo/mezza = between (as in mezzanine, mezzo coffee size)

Potamus = river. (Hippopotamus = "river horse").

meso potamia = (thing) between rivers.

Dex Sawash

Captain Z

Quote from: The Lurker on January 01, 2019, 11:08:36 PM
Each letter on the front of the Celebrations tin is from the font of one of the chocolates inside

But the annoying thing is that all the letters actually come from one of the bars, except the C, which is mars font but obviously doesn't occur in the product. They could have used the C from Snickers or Galaxy Caramel.

Ferris

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 02, 2019, 02:13:06 AM
I saw a box of those in the supermarket last week.  About 4 quid for a plastic "tin".  I was going to get one until I picked it up and it weighed as light as a feather.  Rip off.

Cost me 18 quid to ship a "tin" to Canada. Fucking disgrace.

Twed

Most hits by The Kinks are unacceptable.

Lola (transphobic)
Sunny Afternoon (boo hoo I'm a heavily taxed multi-millionaire)
Apeman (Apeman)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Captain Z on January 03, 2019, 01:52:10 AM
But the annoying thing is that all the letters actually come from one of the bars, except the C, which is mars font but obviously doesn't occur in the product. They could have used the C from Snickers or Galaxy Caramel.

Symmetry, innit ? So the " C" and " s" have the same font.

madhair60

Quote from: Twed on January 03, 2019, 03:46:50 AM

Lola (transphobic)
Apeman (Apeman)

You Really Got Me (AIDS)

Nowhere Man

Maybe youre just being tongue in cheek, but Lola wasn't written intentionally to be anti trans or anything.

The titular character's gender is never really questioned, they're treated like a woman and their transgender status doesn't diminish their attractiveness. Considering it came out in 1970 it's pretty damn progressive.

I would have mentioned Taxman above Sunny Afternoon for rich peoples gripes with er.. the Taxman.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Nowhere Man on January 03, 2019, 09:19:58 AM
Maybe youre just being tongue in cheek, but Lola wasn't written intentionally to be anti trans or anything.

The titular character's gender is never really questioned, they're treated like a woman and their transgender status doesn't diminish their attractiveness. Considering it came out in 1970 it's pretty damn progressive.

I would have mentioned Taxman above Sunny Afternoon for rich peoples gripes with er.. the Taxman.

TBF the top rate of tax was 95% at that point so I can kinda sympathise a little with their gripe.

pancreas

Can I bring this back to the discussion about rhubarb briefly?

It is a celery.

olliebean

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 03, 2019, 09:55:11 AM
TBF the top rate of tax was 95% at that point so I can kinda sympathise a little with their gripe.

You can sympathise with having enough money to have been liable for a 95% tax rate? Lucky you...

(To be fair I think the issue with the Beatles was that they had been over-taxed due to some confusion between income and advances.)

madhair60

Lola (transphobic)
Apeman (Apeman)

Kink shaming

Replies From View

Quote from: pancreas on January 03, 2019, 10:46:27 AM

It is a celery.

Incorrect; celery is in fact a rhubarb.  A savoury one of it.

Unfortunately rhubarbs are not suitable for vegans or one would be able to subsist on nothing but savoury and sweet rhubarbs between now and dusk if they so wanted.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: pancreas on January 03, 2019, 10:46:27 AM

It is a celery.

Vindicated. There's no fruits growing in the ground Gib, mate.

hummingofevil

Quote from: olliebean on January 03, 2019, 10:49:43 AM
You can sympathise with having enough money to have been liable for a 95% tax rate? Lucky you...

(To be fair I think the issue with the Beatles was that they had been over-taxed due to some confusion between income and advances.)

Call me a Think Tank Wanker if you wish but it does seem a touch high. In reality it was 83% income tax + 15% on investments and dividends. It was covered in that Sharon Osborne documentary a few weeks back. The Stones fucked off abroad and The Beatles turned themselves into a corporation with the overall effect of them paying quite a lot less that 98% tax.

Replies From View

There was also some resentment around the lost money from merchandise with the Seltaeb contract.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Are we not talking about " Celebrations " anymore, then ? I was just getting into that.

Great Satan

Maybe not that obvious, but I've only just realised the vocalist on Massive Attack's 'Angel' isn't a woman after listening to '(Exchange)' a couple of times and thinking, "Hang on, is this a bloke?"

Now I know who Horace Andy is. Curse me for not knowing reggae.

One for the "F*ck my hat, I didn't know that" thread too, perhaps.

Lola (transphobic)
Apeman (Apeman)

Dedicated Follower Of Fashion (homophobic)
All Day And All Of The Night (contravenes working time regulations)

Replies From View

Waterloo Sunset (advocates an austere holiday in a shitty railway station environment)

Great Satan

Quote from: Great Satan on January 03, 2019, 01:33:46 PM
Maybe not that obvious, but I've only just realised the vocalist on Massive Attack's 'Angel' isn't a woman after listening to '(Exchange)' a couple of times and thinking, "Hang on, is this a bloke?"

Now I know who Horace Andy is. Curse me for not knowing reggae.

One for the "F*ck my hat, I didn't know that" thread too, perhaps.

Going through the personnel for Blue Lines for the first time on Wikipedia and chalk the singer on "Be Thankful for What You've Got" up as another I wrongly assumed was female.

kalowski

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 03, 2019, 12:05:04 PM
Call me a Think Tank Wanker if you wish but it does seem a touch high. In reality it was 83% income tax + 15% on investments and dividends. It was covered in that Sharon Osborne documentary a few weeks back. The Stones fucked off abroad and The Beatles turned themselves into a corporation with the overall effect of them paying quite a lot less that 98% tax.
I'm no mathematician but I reckon that's not a 98% tax.

Replies From View

Funeral and urinal are suspiciously similar words and things.

Norton Canes

mothman

Quote from: Replies From View on January 03, 2019, 01:42:44 PM
Waterloo Sunset (advocates an austere holiday in a shitty railway station environment)

The Village Green Preservation Society (Countryside Alliance manifesto)

QDRPHNC