Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:30:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

Mothercare shops (or stores as shops in the UK now seem to be called) still exist (depending on how long it takes me to press post).

Thought they went about the same time as Woolies

Ferris

The theme music for the radio versions of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is an actual song by the Eagles. I thought it was specially-crafted ludicrous BBC space banjo music.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wZdZKolMIl0

20 years of nerdery and I never realized. For shame.

Loads of Beeb shows back in those days just used actual commercial music (presumably an option due to the unique way the BBC is funded!)

As a kid, I never realised any of these were just actual songs:

Wildtrack: something or other from Midnight Cowboy
The Really Wild Show: Tony Sherman - ELLOVEE-EE
Take Two: Shakatak - Livin' in the U.K.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Darles Chickens on November 07, 2019, 09:28:39 PM
Loads of Beeb shows back in those days just used actual commercial music (presumably an option due to the unique way the BBC is funded!)

The Beeb have/had a blanket deal for a lot of music. There's a bit where Brooker illustrates it in (I think) Screenwipe, where he plays something off of Sgt Pepper, and pulls the album cover out of a brown envelope, which had to be pixellated because they'd not paid for the image rights.

Replies From View

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 08, 2019, 08:27:04 PM
The Beeb have/had a blanket deal for a lot of music. There's a bit where Brooker illustrates it in (I think) Screenwipe, where he plays something off of Sgt Pepper, and pulls the album cover out of a brown envelope, which had to be pixellated because they'd not paid for the image rights.

The image rights for a brown envelope?

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 07, 2019, 09:24:13 PM
The theme music for the radio versions of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is an actual song by the Eagles. I thought it was specially-crafted ludicrous BBC space banjo music.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wZdZKolMIl0

20 years of nerdery and I never realized. For shame.

RIP Oscillations.  https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,65433.msg3401246.html#msg3401246

Replies From View

The later radio series used a cover of the Eagles song rather than the original, and if I'm not mistaken all the newest releases of the Primary and Secondary Phases now use the cover as well.  Which I think is a great shame, as the Eagles original was always a crucial part of the fabric of those series for me.

The LP re-recording and the TV series use cover versions too, though I'm not sure whether they are all different recordings or the same one.

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on November 09, 2019, 08:41:01 AM
The later radio series used a cover of the Eagles song rather than the original, and if I'm not mistaken all the newest releases of the Primary and Secondary Phases now use the cover as well.  Which I think is a great shame, as the Eagles original was always a crucial part of the fabric of those series for me.

This is because the BBC's blanket deal only covers broadcast music. They had to cut the line about Marvin humming like Pink Floyd from the CD releases too, for the same reason.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on November 09, 2019, 11:00:05 AM
This is because the BBC's blanket deal only covers broadcast music. They had to cut the line about Marvin humming like Pink Floyd from the CD releases too, for the same reason.

The original Eagles version is on all the original CD releases of Hitchhiker's though.  It's only since the 'special editions' of 2008 that you get the cover version of the theme applied to the earlier 'phases' to match them up with the later radio series, and this was so that they'd be suitable for a worldwide release.  Part of the reason these sound 'off' is that John Marsh also had to re-record his announcements.

This is from the wikipedia page:

QuoteSpecial editions

Special editions of the Primary and Secondary Phases were released in November 2008. These have, according to the BBC, been given "a thorough clean-up and remaster" by Dirk Maggs. This includes using the new Philip Pope signature tune, so the material can be released worldwide, which has required John Marsh to re-record his announcements so they could be mixed in. Cleaning up the recordings aims to reduce the hiss produced by the overdubbing in the original and also re-levelling the episodes to produce a greater clarity in the sound.

According to the inlay which comes with the Special Edition, all previous CD editions of the Primary & Secondary Phases played back slightly fast due to capstan wear on the mastering tape machine, with the result that the audio was pitch-shifted up by half a semitone. That was corrected for the special editions and has the effect of making the episodes nearly a minute longer.

Ambient Sheep

Great, so one of the most famous radio series in history, yet there's no official version that plays at both the correct speed AND has the original music on it.

It's enough to make you wonder if you're on the right planet.

petril

think that's absolutely perfect for ver 'Guide, though

touchingcloth

This is like when the Peep Show theme changed and altered the whole tone of the thing.

Replies From View

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 10, 2019, 10:26:15 AM
This is like when the Peep Show theme changed and altered the whole tone of the thing.

I'd say the decision to replace all the practical effects with CGI may have had more of an impact!!!!

touchingcloth

Quote from: Replies From View on November 10, 2019, 10:59:42 AM
I'd say the decision to replace all the practical effects with CGI may have had more of an impact!!!!

Yes, it was very distracting when they replaced the Big Suze actor with animatronics halfway through series 2.

Replies From View

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 10, 2019, 11:14:06 AM
Yes, it was very distracting when they replaced the Big Suze actor with animatronics halfway through series 2.

I thought the animatronics version was wonderful.  But the test audiences complained that it looked "too 1980s" so it was covered over with cheap CGI.  :(

NJ Uncut

I much prefer the original version of Big Suze that was entirely practical effects. Some of that puppetry was dazzling, and clever lighting amongst other smoke and mirrors really brought "her" to life.

Replies From View

Quote from: NJ Uncut on November 10, 2019, 11:42:13 AM
I much prefer the original version of Big Suze that was entirely practical effects. Some of that puppetry was dazzling, and clever lighting amongst other smoke and mirrors really brought "her" to life.

I completely agree.

studpuppet

Quote from: Darles Chickens on November 07, 2019, 09:28:39 PM

As a kid, I never realised any of these were just actual songs:

Wildtrack: something or other from Midnight Cowboy
The Really Wild Show: Tony Sherman - ELLOVEE-EE
Take Two: Shakatak - Livin' in the U.K.

Likewise a 70s drama series about young gymnasts called Out Of Bounds, which had a bouncy, trampoline-y sounding theme that went 'BOW-BOW, TSCH-TSCH TSCH-TSCH'

Ferris

That girl in the shit office I worked in back in 2011 that kept trying to talk to me about Fifty Shades of Grey was trying to flirt with me.

Might have missed the boat on that one.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 12, 2019, 12:56:41 AM
That girl in the shit office I worked in back in 2011 that kept trying to talk to me about Fifty Shades of Grey was trying to flirt with me.

You could have had a film night date, stuck on Secretary and... Well, it's mind blowing if you like that Fifty Shades crap.

imitationleather

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 12, 2019, 12:56:41 AM

A girl tried to talk to me about Fifty Shades of Grey once. Was she trying to flirt with me? Ooh, I hope so. She was pretty!

Ferris

Quote from: NJ Uncut on November 12, 2019, 11:17:16 AM
You could have had a film night date, stuck on Secretary and... Well, it's mind blowing if you like that Fifty Shades crap.

Alas that I've left that job, worked 2 more since, forgotten her name, moved to a different continent, got married and had a child. Could have been quids in for mediocre bondage sex or whatever the book is about.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 13, 2019, 12:39:05 AM
Alas that I've left that job, worked 2 more since, forgotten her name, moved to a different continent, got married and had a child.

Good points one and all. Ah, but are you truly over her??

QuoteCould have been quids in for mediocre bondage sex or whatever the book is about.

Yes, basically. Yes you are!

NJ Uncut

I'm either still too weak to post here taking everything on the fucking chin every day while I exhaust myself fighting ethical fights, or too many people genuinely don't have sympathy for my sense of humour, me as a person and my battle through universal credit to find work. Again, those who care which is the majority but can't stop the minority, THANK YOU.

Bye, off to... I dunno at this point, I just don't, I've been insulted for everything, I hate it making me angry, I'm probably better keeping everything private. I'm always happier when I'm not on CaB, three times is enough to find out.

madhair60

There goes the greatest son of a bitch Cookdandbombd will ever see.

Twed

Quote from: NJ Uncut on November 13, 2019, 03:45:03 PM
I'm either still too weak to post here taking everything on the fucking chin every day while I exhaust myself fighting ethical fights, or too many people genuinely don't have sympathy for my sense of humour, me as a person and my battle through universal credit to find work. Again, those who care which is the majority but can't stop the minority, THANK YOU.

Bye, off to... I dunno at this point, I just don't, I've been insulted for everything, I hate it making me angry, I'm probably better keeping everything private. I'm always happier when I'm not on CaB, three times is enough to find out.
lol don't be a tit, just stay instead of going

chveik

Icehaven

Lived in this flat since February and since day one the doorstop for the kitchen door has been a bit shit and not worked very well, kept meaning to get a new one but forgetting. Anyway tonight Mr. Haven turned it upside down and it works perfectly.10 months.

Twed

You should check it's not your doors that are upside down.

touchingcloth

Check that it's not you and Mr Haven that are upside down.