Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:49:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Gulftastic on November 29, 2019, 06:21:47 AM
In the sitcom 'Ellen' her bookshop's name 'Buy The Book' was a play on the phrase 'by the book'
I thought it was as in "you've seen the movie, now buy the book" but I guess "now read the book" is how it usually goes, so yours makes more sense. Although maybe bookshops don't care if you read it as long as you buy it?

Norton Canes

It's December - therefore it's not unlucky to sing carols

So I don't have to quickly think of 'I Should Be So Lucky' or any other catchy yet shite song every time I get a Christmas carol earworm

Icehaven

The cyclist woman is called Victoria Pendleton, not Victoria Peloton, and therefore she has nothing to do with the Peloton exercise bike they're advertising to death at the moment (and landing in trouble for being sexist https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/dec/04/peloton-backlash-sexist-dystopian-exercise-bike-christmas-advert)

bgmnts

Quote from: icehaven on December 04, 2019, 05:40:06 PM
The cyclist woman is called Victoria Pendleton, not Victoria Peloton, and therefore she has nothing to do with the Peloton exercise bike they're advertising to death at the moment (and landing in trouble for being sexist https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/dec/04/peloton-backlash-sexist-dystopian-exercise-bike-christmas-advert)

QuoteCritics have pointed out that the woman in the advert is already slim at the start, and that the implication that her partner thinks she needs to get fitter and lose weight is patronising and damaging.

There is so much wrong here.

Ferris

Quote from: icehaven on December 04, 2019, 05:40:06 PM

A peloton is the main group of cyclists in a road race. You typically have one main peloton, a breakaway group some way ahead, and a couple of grupettos made up of stragglers trying to avoid automatic disqualification via the time cutoff. All depends on the stage profile and the various teams' tactics/target for the day though.

Replies From View

Ferris

Quote from: Replies From View on December 04, 2019, 06:05:45 PM
Alright clever clogs what are pantyloons then

The lads in lycra desperately cheering from the sidelines

Norton Canes

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 04, 2019, 05:49:21 PM
A peloton is the main group of cyclists in a road race

From the French 'small ball'. Stop laughing

Icehaven

All fair enough it's just I heard/saw the ads and thought it was the Olympic(?) cyclist lady's surname and she must be endorsing it or something. Well now I know what a peloton is anyway (not a surname).

kalowski

Dex Sawash

NoSleep

Icehaven

Just saw this on the BBC website
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-gloucestershire-50094576/glastonbury-festival-footage-from-1983-rediscovered

Footage of Glastonbury from 1983, and was surprised how similar it looked to how I remembered it, but then realised that the years I went, in the mid-late 90s, are much closer to 1983 than they are to now.

Cerys

Replies From View

olliebean

Quote from: NoSleep on December 06, 2019, 09:13:25 AM
Is Colm short for Malcolm?

I don't think so. According to Wikipedia, it's Irish for "dove." Also thanks to Wikipedia, I now know that "It is not an Irish version of Colon," as if anybody ever thought it was.

Replies From View

Malcolm is a malcontented version of Colm.

Colm is a type of comb, and it is a boy's name that means comb.

'Chester is not short for Manchester. Thought that was just what the cool kids were calling it.
Also, 'Bury is not the hip name for Canterbury. They are different places.

Replies From View

petril

'Boro is not the cool nickname for Middlesbrough. It is the nickname, the place is just a shitehole

NoSleep

Replies From View

Quote from: NoSleep on December 07, 2019, 07:23:15 PM
Is Colm short for column?

No I think it is something to do with a non-malcontented Malcolm of some kind

Etymologically it stems from comb, as in "This six year old prick is named Comb".

FredNurke

It's the Irish for 'Columba' (Latin for dove), after the saint of that name who spread Christianity to Scotland in the 6th century. 'Malcolm' means 'follower of (St) Columba'.

touchingcloth

Quote from: olliebean on December 06, 2019, 07:12:04 PM
I don't think so. According to Wikipedia, it's Irish for "dove." Also thanks to Wikipedia, I now know that "It is not an Irish version of Colon," as if anybody ever thought it was.

So it's mal dove? Bad dove? Is that what you're saying?

NoSleep

touchingcloth

I was at university with an Irish lad called Colm and he pronounced it "column". Hope that helps. His nan lived nextdoor to Morrissey.

NoSleep

touchingcloth

I've heard it pronounced more as a single syllable as well. Seems to be the way people pronounce Colm  Meany's name.

Lordofthefiles

Paul Calf