Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:16:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 08, 2019, 03:21:26 PM
I've heard it pronounced more as a single syllable as well. Seems to be the way people pronounce Colm  Meany's name.

He probably just got fed up correcting people.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 08, 2019, 12:14:54 PM
I was at university with an Irish lad called Colm and he pronounced it "column".

Does it rhyme with volume?

NoSleep

Quote from: olliebean on December 08, 2019, 09:44:28 PM
He probably just got fed up correcting people.

The same people who pronounce "film" as fillum?

Icehaven

All the decade round-ups I keep seeing are because a new one is about to start.
In my defence I thought we weren't really bothering with decades as a thing anymore since the 2000s and the 2010s had so little to distinguish themselves.

NoSleep

Icehaven

Quote from: NoSleep on December 09, 2019, 02:19:04 PM
The size of phones?

Reminds me of that meme showing how phones started off huge and got smaller and smaller until the moment it became possible to watch pron on them, at which point they started growing rapidly (fnar) again.

touchingcloth

The ranking system is a name - Elo - not an acronym - ELO; the shared capital E is not a shared initial of "Échecs".

buttgammon

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 11, 2019, 12:11:31 AM
The ranking system is a name - Elo - not an acronym - ELO; the shared capital E is not a shared initial of "Échecs".

Bloody hell! Never thought about it enough to get as far as figuring out what the letters were supposed to stand for, but still surprising.

touchingcloth

Quote from: buttgammon on December 11, 2019, 12:20:24 AM
Bloody hell! Never thought about it enough to get as far as figuring out what the letters were supposed to stand for, but still surprising.

What's worse is that I've long known that both FIDE and what I thought was ELO had a link to chess, and even though I've known what it stands for in FIDE for ages, I'd never bothered to look up what the L and the O stood for. Ranking Option said by a Chinee, is what I thought.

Paul Calf

I'm sure I've been pronouncing it as an initialism (the letters individually).

Oops. What a bell.

Cuellar

Loads of games use Elo rankings, too. Like Overwatch.

All the games.

olliebean

I have absolutely no idea what you're all on about, so chalk that up as far from fucking obvious.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 11, 2019, 12:11:31 AM

I didn't even know how to parse that sentence until I googled ELO ranking system.  I'd assumed you were talking about the band ELO.

Dex Sawash

Dewt

Adventurer, surely you have a mind that would rival the great wizard Alexuntabrahsizo if you were able to solve this riddle unaided! What manner of goblin informed you of my identity? Their treachery will not go unpunished. Speak, knave!

Dex Sawash

I started off mad about the stolen avatar of a beloved poster and then slowly, a spark of some feeling of a thought happened.

Endicott

Endicott

It's upside down text, not Russian.

To get us back on track.

touchingcloth

"Princess" Margaret is the "queen"'s sister, not daughter.

Icehaven

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 11, 2019, 11:32:00 PM
"Princess" Margaret is the "queen"'s sister, not daughter.

I've always got her and Princess Anne mixed up. Between them they're a promiscuous alcoholic that likes horses but is rude to wellwishers and is alive and dead, but I neither know nor care which one is or was which.

kittens

americans pronounce the words 'feudal' and 'futile' in the exact same way

Replies From View

Quote from: icehaven on December 12, 2019, 10:35:19 AM
I've always got her and Princess Anne mixed up. Between them they're a promiscuous alcoholic that likes horses but is rude to wellwishers and is alive and dead, but I neither know nor care which one is or was which.

I was like that with the McWhirters for a while.  Eventually they were both dead and a weight was lifted from my shoulders.

touchingcloth

Australia's seasons are backwards. I do know this, but it always surprises me when it crops up. I'm watching Muriel's Wedding, and there's a bit where she's browsing wedding dresses and a conversation goes like this:

"When's the big day?"

"September."

"Ah - spring!"

touchingcloth

Hot on the heels of that ^ but that was my first time watching Muriel's Wedding, and when the credits rolled I realised it's not the film parodied in Wayne's World (among others) with the banging on the glass during the vows.

That's The Graduate, future equally ignorant lurkers. 

NoSleep

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 13, 2019, 12:48:29 AM
Australia's seasons are backwards. I do know this, but it always surprises me when it crops up.

One of the standout memories of my time in Australia was having christmas dinner on the beach.

touchingcloth

Quote from: NoSleep on December 13, 2019, 11:40:34 AM
One of the standout memories of my time in Australia was having christmas dinner on the beach.

Throw another shrimp up the turkey?

NoSleep

Dex Sawash