Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:11:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: kittens on December 30, 2019, 10:04:59 AM
st petersburg and peterborough have essentially the same name

Leningrad and Leninton Spa.

MojoJojo

Quote from: jamiefairlie on December 30, 2019, 10:34:10 PM
Nah, you're right. They'd take the baby away to get cleaned, brought back to mum for feeding and then into the big ward at night with all the other babies. Not sure if they brought them to mum for night time feeding or if nurses fed from bottles.

From my sleep deprived memories of it, I don't really know how that works. Babies don't really feed well the first few days - they haven't learnt to suckle, mums haven't come into milk fully or whatever. They just don't sleep well enough away from mum to take them to a separate room for any meaningful amount of time.

Of course, the alternative that we had was a ward full of new babies and mums, so you were guaranteed at least two screaming babies at any point of the night (or day), so maybe it makes sense.

bgmnts

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on December 29, 2019, 11:12:06 PM
R2D2 and C3PO are a complete rip off of Sweep and Soo from the Sooty Show.

Aren't they literally a rip off of those two gimps in Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress?

imitationleather

No but they were heavily inspired by Sid James and Bernard Bresslaw's characters in Carry On Camping.

Icehaven

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 27, 2019, 10:52:32 PM
That the thing you see on telly where a woman gives birth and then the baby is taken away and installed in a room of babies can't be a real thing.

Quote from: jamiefairlie on December 30, 2019, 10:34:10 PM
Nah, you're right. They'd take the baby away to get cleaned, brought back to mum for feeding and then into the big ward at night with all the other babies. Not sure if they brought them to mum for night time feeding or if nurses fed from bottles.

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 30, 2019, 11:28:50 PM
From my sleep deprived memories of it, I don't really know how that works. Babies don't really feed well the first few days - they haven't learnt to suckle, mums haven't come into milk fully or whatever. They just don't sleep well enough away from mum to take them to a separate room for any meaningful amount of time.

Of course, the alternative that we had was a ward full of new babies and mums, so you were guaranteed at least two screaming babies at any point of the night (or day), so maybe it makes sense.

Did they maybe stop doing this so much partly because of mix-ups and children being raised by the wrong families etc.? Or did they always slap a bracelet on as soon as they emerged?

touchingcloth

Quote from: icehaven on December 31, 2019, 10:25:24 AM
Did they maybe stop doing this so much partly because of mix-ups and children being raised by the wrong families etc.? Or did they always slap a bracelet on as soon as they emerged?

I was about to say that that, surely, was an invention from fiction, but then I realised if the baby rooms are real and if a doctor can sew a scalpel inside you that, yep, it's definitely happened for real.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: icehaven on December 31, 2019, 10:25:24 AM

Someone had twins on my facebook and they had huge '1' and '2' markers slapped on them before they even got round to doing the bracelets.

touchingcloth

James Bond films don't have "James Bond" in the title. I saw a film called "Spectre" is on ITV tonight, and then found out that it's a James Bond. Then I looked on wiki and realised that "James Bond: GoldenEye" is actually just titled "GoldenEye".

Dewt

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 31, 2019, 07:35:34 PM
Someone had twins on my facebook and they had huge '1' and '2' markers slapped on them before they even got round to doing the bracelets.
Trying to figure out the information that they are trying to prevent losing...

...which one was born first? Cares mate.

touchingcloth

Facebook Live?

Barry Admin

Radioface (as made by Kelvin and Crease) was a pun on Radiohead! As well as the obvious "face for radio" reference, but jesus, never got the similarity to that band name until just now.

touchingcloth

The Handbags and Gladrags used as the theme for The Office isn't the version by The Stereophonics.

Bobtoo

The cunt in the orange puffa jacket that keeps showing up in memes is one of those rap singers they have now, and not just some random person.

touchingcloth

touchingcloth

Never seen the memes before, but, yep, that's a rap singer: Ian Puff.

studpuppet

I've got twins and one of them was bagged and tagged by the nurses before the other one even emerged out at the back of the scrum.

imitationleather

It was ages before I realised that the orange jacket meme was rapping pederast Drake as well.

Icehaven

Not sure how obvious this actually is but apparently there's a big parade in London on New Year's day every year. Never heard of it, although I don't live in London but I'm still surprised I didn't even know it existed.

Icehaven

Successful Biff in BTTF 2 is based on Donald Trump.

studpuppet

Quote from: icehaven on January 01, 2020, 04:34:11 PM
Not sure how obvious this actually is but apparently there's a big parade in London on New Year's day every year. Never heard of it, although I don't live in London but I'm still surprised I didn't even know it existed.

I was involved in the first ever one in around '93 or '94. They still owe me £150 for hiring a van to take paraphernalia back to Wales afterwards. If I hadn't been involved in the first one, I probably wouldn't be aware of its existence either.

Dex Sawash

Ferris

touchingcloth