Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:11:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

A little twofer for me today. First I only just realised that a lot of doors in public spaces have a "Fire door - keep locked sign" on, which is MENTAL. Then I immediately realised that the signs don't mean "fire exit - keep locked" so it's FINE.

gilbertharding

Yeah - you'll also see 'Fire Door Keep Shut' signs, or perhaps fire doors which are held open with special catches which release so the door closes when the fire alarm goes off. Fire doors are designed to stop fire spreading within buildings, especially into stairways.

The 'Keep Locked' signs are likely on cupboards or plant rooms, which wouldn't help you escape.

touchingcloth

They'd help if I wanted to escape a paedophile with a cupboard phobia.

mrpupkin

Discreet as in secret and discrete as in separate are two different words.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: mrpupkin on February 08, 2019, 01:31:29 PM

See also loathe (verb) and loath/loth (adjective).  Losing the battle on the internet though.

Dex Sawash

I don't think you've made an accurate pronunciation guide there

Captain Z

The 'O' of Obvious in the name of this thread is actually a zero.

gmoney

Quote from: Captain Z on February 08, 2019, 02:08:51 PM
The 'O' of Obvious in the name of this thread is actually a zero.

Something which has haunted me ever since I noticed.

olliebean

They used to be the same word, though, approximately meaning discerning.

mothman

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 08, 2019, 09:20:35 AM
A little twofer for me today. First I only just realised that a lot of doors in public spaces have a "Fire door - keep locked sign" on, which is MENTAL. Then I immediately realised that the signs don't mean "fire exit - keep locked" so it's FINE.

There's a fire door at work which has suddenly been left open despite having a sign on saying it should be locked. It is locked, but open so it can't be closed. But it is an obvious thing, in that nobody had ever noticed there was even a door there previously.

Replies From View

I mean just have a wall if that's what you want.  It's not fucking hard to put the right thing there.

Ferris

Quote from: Replies From View on February 08, 2019, 09:52:29 PM
I mean just have a wall if that's what you want.  It's not fucking hard to put the right thing there.

This fire exit is just painted on!

kittens

the connection between the words decipher and cipher

Paul Calf

Replies From View

shiftwork2

Replies From View

Quote from: shiftwork2 on February 09, 2019, 08:37:40 AM
Collaborate, work together.

MORE filthy gopher talk?

I personally think we should aim to keep gophers and humans at a sensible distance from one another at all times.

kittens

kalowski

Quote from: kittens on February 09, 2019, 08:40:39 AM
co - labor - ation
oh yeah cool nice 1
How about conspire? Con-spire: breath together. Because conspirators have to get so close to plot their actions their breath intermingles.

Replies From View

Quote from: kalowski on February 09, 2019, 08:43:11 AM
How about conspire? Con-spire: breath together. Because conspirators have to get so close to plot their actions their breath intermingles.

The meaning of 'conspire' has changed over the years to mean they don't flinch when they smell each other's farts.

gib

Quote from: kalowski on February 09, 2019, 08:43:11 AM

combat - everyone gets together for a battering

Icehaven

Recognise - to again (re) become aware/conscious (cognise/cognisant) of something.

Cuellar

touchingcloth

The true head fuck for me is that "discretion" is related to discreet rather than discrete, when it feels like it should be the other way around due to where the "t" falls.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on February 08, 2019, 01:37:31 PM
See also loathe (verb) and loath/loth (adjective).  Losing the battle on the internet though.

Not to me. Whenever someone says "I'm loathe to..." I kick them into the fucking grave.

Cuellar