Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:35:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

For years, I thought the headphone socket on the Playstation 4 controller was just for some specific headset. However, it turns out that you can plug in any old pair of headphones and it bluetooths all the sound over. No more playing games at night with the volume turned way down for me.

Ferris

Icehaven

Willem Dafoe and William H Macy aren't the same person.

Brundle-Fly

'Pinterest' is not pronounced (Harold) 'Pinter-rest' but 'Pin-trest', apparently.

Now, I'm going to really expose myself as a thicko.

I've just found out 'sonar and 'laser' are acronyms.

Ferris

Golden E. Pump

Replies From View

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 10, 2019, 07:41:03 PM
'Pinterest' is not pronounced (Harold) 'Pinter-rest' but 'Pin-trest', apparently.

That's shit for cunts.

olliebean

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 10, 2019, 07:41:03 PM

Presumably it's pronounced the same way you pronounce "interest" but with a "P" at the start. Which could go either way, I reckon. (Although according to the OED, which supposedly gives the RP pronounciation, it's "in-trist," which is bonko.)

petril

touchingcloth

"We Didn't Start the Fire" is not the same song as "Dancing in the Dark".

Icehaven

A 'loft apartment' is a style of flat, often in a converted factory, and isn't necessarily in the actual loft/attic/whatever you want to call the top floor or roof space of a building.

St_Eddie

Quote from: icehaven on February 11, 2019, 07:26:26 AM
A 'loft apartment' is a style of flat, often in a converted factory, and isn't necessarily in the actual loft/attic/whatever you want to call the top floor or roof space of a building.

Indeed.  I think that Seth Brundle's place of residence/lab in The Fly is a loft apartment.

seepage

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 09, 2019, 02:26:43 PM
For years, I thought the headphone socket on the Playstation 4 controller was just for some specific headset. However, it turns out that you can plug in any old pair of headphones and it bluetooths all the sound over. No more playing games at night with the volume turned way down for me.

Similarly, being able to plug headphones into a monitor and play sound through a graphics card seems like magic to me

Also, since a mains plug is supplied, I didn't know you could power a Fire TV just from a USB port.

AsparagusTrevor

The second 'v' in the thread title is a lower case Roman 5.

kalowski

Quote from: icehaven on February 11, 2019, 07:26:26 AM
Why not? That's silly. "Here's my loft apartment, not in the loft."

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 11, 2019, 09:06:19 AM
Indeed.  I think that Seth Brundle's place of residence/lab in The Fly is a loft apartment.

Yeh and that guy in Driller Killer.
A lot of New York artists have them, so the films lead us to believe.

Ferris

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on February 11, 2019, 06:47:40 PM
Yeh and that guy in Driller Killer.
A lot of New York artists have them, so the films lead us to believe.

They're quite common in North America. The Fly is set in Toronto and Brundle lives in one.

Bazooka

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 09, 2019, 02:26:43 PM

Fuck, yeah I thought the same, assumed a giant keyboard and dance mat could be connected.

gmoney

The lyrics for This Wheel's On Fire is:

Best notify my next of kin
This wheel shall explode!

Not:

There's no defying my next of kin

Icehaven

Quote from: kalowski on February 11, 2019, 06:37:30 PM
Why not? That's silly. "Here's my loft apartment, not in the loft."

I know, I thought the same, but I was watching something American the other day and there was an old building that had been converted into the kind of vast flats you only ever see in something American, and it was described as being ''all lofts now'', which didn't sound right to me as I believed a building could only have one loft, but I was wrong. It's just the term ''loft-style'' (large, open plan, vaguely industrial looking) has been shortened to loft, so you don't live in a loft-style apartment anymore, you live in a loft. Which probably isn't actually a loft.

touchingcloth

St_Eddie

Quote from: gmoney on February 12, 2019, 10:45:15 AM

Or "this will surely explode" as I had previously thought, up until this very moment.  Not too bright, me.

Quote from: icehaven on February 12, 2019, 10:55:37 AM
I know, I thought the same, but I was watching something American the other day and there was an old building that had been converted into the kind of vast flats you only ever see in something American, and it was described as being ''all lofts now'', which didn't sound right to me as I believed a building could only have one loft, but I was wrong. It's just the term ''loft-style'' (large, open plan, vaguely industrial looking) has been shortened to loft, so you don't live in a loft-style apartment anymore, you live in a loft. Which probably isn't actually a loft.

Americans also call the roofs of their buildings "the basement".

gmoney

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 12, 2019, 11:32:06 AM
Or "this will surely explode" as I had previously thought, up until this very moment.  Not too bright, me.

We should do a cover version based on both of our shite versions. 

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: gmoney on February 12, 2019, 10:45:15 AM
The lyrics for This Wheel's On Fire is:

Best notify my next of kin

Not:

There's no defying my next of kin

The first version of that song I heard was the Siouxsie and the Banshees version and I heard the lyric as "dismembered by my next of kin".

Norton Canes