Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:16:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Quote from: QDRPHNC on January 03, 2019, 06:43:39 PM
The O in the title of this thread is actually a 0.

Just realised that people are going to be realising that all bloody year, aren't they?

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on December 31, 2018, 08:28:09 PM
That the "O" in the thread title is a 0

Not trying to steal anybody's thunder but some pedantic twat pointed that out thirty minutes after the thread was started. What sort of sad life must he have, eh readers?

Replies From View

That's the thing with obvious things, though.  People keep noticing them.

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on January 03, 2019, 07:33:06 PM
Just realised that people are going to be realising that all bloody year, aren't they?

The very thought of it gives me arousal.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Replies From View on January 03, 2019, 04:50:43 PM
Funeral and urinal are suspiciously similar words and things.

Especially when you're pissing your life away.

mothman

Ferris

Quote from: Replies From View on January 03, 2019, 09:05:42 PM
That's the thing with obvious things, though.  People keep noticing them.

Yes, I've noticed that.

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on January 03, 2019, 11:36:01 PM
You say that like there's something which doesn't.

Well I say it because it is one of the many, many things that does, which is everything, yes.

But again, always worth mentioning.  Always worth getting it out there.

manticore

It's trompe l'oeil you utter cretins, not 'trompe d'oeil' as you've been witlessly thinking for the last 40+ bloody years despite having seen the ACTUAL PHRASE God knows how many hundreds of times.

And it took an episode of Pointless of all things to make you realise your imbecility. Honestly, you disgust me sometimes, all of you.

Sebastian Cobb

Wrong, I've not seen that phrase and don't know what it means.

kalowski

Quote from: manticore on January 04, 2019, 03:45:08 AM
It's trompe l'oeil you utter cretins, not 'trompe d'oeil' as you've been witlessly thinking for the last 40+ bloody years despite having seen the ACTUAL PHRASE God knows how many hundreds of times.

And it took an episode of Pointless of all things to make you realise your imbecility. Honestly, you disgust me sometimes, all of you.
Direct translation "the deceived eye" or similar?

Ferris

Quote from: kalowski on January 04, 2019, 09:00:12 AM
Direct translation "the deceived eye" or similar?

It's a carved fresco or something isn't it?

Edit: no it isn't.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

manticore

'Trompe d'oeil' just sounds right. Is it just that it's easier to say? It's just so strange to me that I went through my whole adult life thinking that.

I had a similar problem with 'thesaurus', thinking it was 'theasaurus' like a dinosaur or something for about 30 years until I was corrected with much ridicule by a girlfriend. Very odd, these points aveugle.

olliebean

I was listening to something about language the other day, I forget what it was, but I listened with horror as they claimed the word "specific" was probably going to die out, as more and more people are saying "pacific" instead. On the one hand, I know this is the way language develops and a great many of the words we use today have gone through a similar process in the past and left their original forms behind - but on the other hand, fuck people who can't get a simple common word right.

Icehaven

Quote from: olliebean on January 05, 2019, 05:46:28 PM
I was listening to something about language the other day, I forget what it was, but I listened with horror as they claimed the word "specific" was probably going to die out, as more and more people are saying "pacific" instead. On the one hand, I know this is the way language develops and a great many of the words we use today have gone through a similar process in the past and left their original forms behind - but on the other hand, fuck people who can't get a simple common word right.

And pacific is already an existing word with a completely different meaning, which really shouldn't be how language develops.

Quote from: icehaven on January 05, 2019, 07:08:37 PM
And pacific is already an existing word with a completely different meaning, which really shouldn't be how language develops.

Yes, it means something like clearly or precisely defined, doesn't it?

Icehaven

Oops! I shouldn't of made such a silly mistake. I think I'll go and make myself an expresso.

Hackles rising yet?

kalowski

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on January 05, 2019, 08:32:47 PM
Oops! I shouldn't of made such a silly mistake. I think I'll go and make myself an expresso.

Hackles rising yet?
Yes, defiantly.

studpuppet

Quote from: kalowski on January 05, 2019, 08:56:38 PM
Yes, defiantly.

An apple was originally a napple and a butterfly was a flutterby, so there you go.

studpuppet

Icehaven

Since bloody when has it been ukulele and not ukelele?

zomgmouse

In the Creedence Clearwater Revival song "Travelin' Band" the lyric "747 comin' out of the sky" refers to the 747 model of aeroplane and not in fact a flight that leaves at the time of 7:47.

Endicott

This reminds me that as a child I had a lot of trouble understanding this:

QuoteMr. Brown goes off to town on the eight twenty-one,

until eventually I realised it meant a bus.

kngen

Thomas Haden Church from Sideways is not Anthony Michael Hall from The Breakfast Club. To be fair, my brain only made this erroneous connection about a month or so ago, so I've hardly been labouring under the delusion for a lifetime, but still happy to have the scales fall from my eyes, nonetheless.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Endicott on January 07, 2019, 01:14:54 PM
This reminds me that as a child I had a lot of trouble understanding this:

until eventually I realised it meant a bus.

I thought it was a train that left at 8:21?

Endicott

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 07, 2019, 03:11:03 PM
I thought it was a train that left at 8:21?

Oh, it could be yes. It caused me a lot of confusion.

magval

The default message tone and ringtone on Samsung phones feature the same 5-note tune.