Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:17:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgehog90

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 04, 2019, 12:37:29 PM
She has mashed up her motorbike with her homeplace, Wigan

Not quite.

Buell hooligan. Buelligan.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Buelligan

'That curb-hopping, wheelie riding Buelligan is at it, causing trouble, once again!'

Replies From View

The pronunciation (which shiftwork supplied me with at a previous meet) is weird to me since the spelling isn't "Beulligan".

BEEOO

garnish

Quote from: FredNurke on March 03, 2019, 06:07:53 PM
'nip in the bud' is attested in 1607, with slightly earlier instances of 'nip in the bloom' and 'nip in the blade' (with the same meaning, 'stop something at an early stage'). The other explanation sounds like a folk-etymology to me.

No, this is wrong

a duncandisorderly

garnish

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on March 04, 2019, 10:04:55 PM
the origin is horticultural. move along.

The origin is from 5,000 BC when match stick sellers would attach warnings to their packaging following too many house fires caused by out of control match fires.

Bennett Brauer

I'm an etymologist with an honours degree in English and Classics from Magdalen, Oxford, and - believe it or not - garnish is right in saying it derives from "nip it in the buth", buth being the lightable end of a match. http://www.oed.com/search?searchType=dictionary&w=buth&&searchBtn=Search

EDIT Weird, can't get link to work properly

Replies From View

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on March 05, 2019, 12:16:30 AM
I'm an etymologist with an honours degree in English and Classics from Magdalen, Oxford, and - believe it or not - garnish is right in saying it derives from "nip it in the buth", buth being the lightable end of a match. http://www.oed.com/search?searchType=dictionary&w=buth&&searchBtn=Search

bollocks the lot of y's.

idunnosomename

1590   T. Lodge Rosalynde: Euphues Golden Legacie f. 24   Nature hath prodigally inricht thee with her fauours..and now..to haue all these good partes nipped in the blade, and blemisht by the inconstancie of Fortune.
1595   H. Chettle Piers Plainnes Prentiship sig. E3v   Extinguish these fond loues with minds labour, and nip thy affections in the bloome, that they may neuer bee of power to budde.

Bennett Brauer

Don't give up on the truth, garnish. Some people laughed at Columbus, even though Keith Allen was in it.

idunnosomename

I've just realised vintage primarily refers to wine. You know, because it has "vin" in it. Any other use is secondary.

St_Eddie

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 05, 2019, 06:03:08 PM
I've just realised vintage primarily refers to wine. You know, because it has "vin" in it. Any other use is secondary.

So, if 'vin' is 'vineyard' and 'age' is... well, 'age'.  Then what's the 't' all about?

mothman

It's, how long did it take the vin t'age, isn't it? Duh.

idunnosomename

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 05, 2019, 06:10:57 PM
So, if 'vin' is 'vineyard' and 'age' is... well, 'age'.  Then what's the 't' all about?
Anglo-Norman corruption of vendage which comes from Latin vindēmia.

Bennett Brauer

Micky Flanagan is apparently unable to say the 'th' in "thing", but has no problem with "another".

Replies From View

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on March 05, 2019, 06:31:06 PM
Micky Flanagan is apparently unable to say the 'th' in "thing", but has no problem with "another".

A very shit man will do very shit things.  It is nature's way.

gib

Well of course one 'th' is a voiced dental fricative and other a voiceless dental fricative.

St_Eddie

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 05, 2019, 06:24:08 PM
Anglo-Norman corruption of vendage which comes from Latin vindēmia.

No, that doesn't sound credible at all.

Quote from: mothman on March 05, 2019, 06:21:42 PM
It's, how long did it take the vin t'age, isn't it? Duh.

Ah, yes.  Of course!

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: gib on March 05, 2019, 06:39:57 PM
Well of course one 'th' is a voiced dental fricative and other a voiceless dental fricative.

Don't gimme vat teef malarkey.

seepage

when people say 'vintage wine' they seem to mean wine from an exceptional year's harvest. But how rare is that now for table? They probably only skip some years for Port or Barca Velha now. I know vintage Champagne is from a single year's harvest, but they never seem to skip a year - they even made some in 2001! 

St_Eddie

Quote from: seepage on March 05, 2019, 07:08:02 PM
when people say 'vintage wine' they seem to mean wine from an exceptional year's harvest. But how rare is that now for table? They probably only skip some years for Port or Barca Velha now. I know vintage Champagne is from a single year's harvest, but they never seem to skip a year - they even made some in 2001!

No matter the vintage, leave an opened bottle for too long and you'll wind up with vinegar, or worse yet, Lambrini.

idunnosomename

Leave an unopened bottle for too long? Never happens to me

I'm an alcoholic, you see

mothman

Quote from: gib on March 05, 2019, 06:39:57 PM

"Fricative" just makes me think of "fricassee."

garnish

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 05, 2019, 09:28:09 AM
1590   T. Lodge Rosalynde: Euphues Golden Legacie f. 24   Nature hath prodigally inricht thee with her fauours..and now..to haue all these good partes nipped in the blade, and blemisht by the inconstancie of Fortune.
1595   H. Chettle Piers Plainnes Prentiship sig. E3v   Extinguish these fond loues with minds labour, and nip thy affections in the bloome, that they may neuer bee of power to budde.

None of those records are from 5,000 BC when the word 'buth' was first used, I appreciate the effort you are going to to prove yourself deadly wrong.

garnish

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on March 05, 2019, 12:16:30 AM

I'm a classical librarian and we say 'buth' all the time.

idunnosomename

Quote from: garnish on March 05, 2019, 11:04:19 PM
None of those records are from 5,000 BC when the word 'buth' was first used, I appreciate the effort you are going to to prove yourself deadly wrong.
what about the idiom "nip it in the bud"

Do realise, being an alcoholic, I'm pissed, you see.

touchingcloth

Has he been lined up for a cancelling yet?

That Bilko in The Phil Silvers Show's name is a play on the word Bilk which means to 1.
a. To defraud, cheat, or swindle: made millions bilking wealthy clients on art sales.
b. To evade payment of: bilk one's debts.