Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,314
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:42:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on March 10, 2019, 10:15:10 PM
This one has apparently been massively obvious to many people for many many years, but I only just realised that Mary Poppins is giving the Bankses hallucinogens.

Even more dramatically, they are hallucinogens that have to be taken anally.  Hence all the chimney sweep stuff.

St_Eddie

Quote from: olliebean on March 10, 2019, 10:15:10 PM
This one has apparently been massively obvious to many people for many many years, but I only just realised that Mary Poppins is giving the Bankses hallucinogens.

Wait a moment... Mary?  Mary Jane!  Poppins?  Poppies!

My God!

gib

magval

Leonard is only an 'o' short of Leonardo.

Going to be hard to stop mentally pronouncing it as "Lennardo", now.

the

Icehaven

Cat Power and Bat For Lashes are different people.

touchingcloth

The Indiana Jones films weren't directed by George Lucas.

Twit 2

Of course not, that's why they're good. He didn't even write the scripts, just the stories. And even then, if you read into the pre-production histories Spielberg was constantly having to turn down his stupid ideas.

ToneLa

Quote from: Twit 2 on March 15, 2019, 01:00:23 AM
Of course not, that's why they're good.

I've just realised the reason I didn't post this - because I thought I'd be some lone wacko with a WRONG OPINION - is fuckin nonsense. Spot the fuck on!

St_Eddie

I think that we can all agree that George Lucas quite literally never did anything of note.  The man's a blagger.

THX; stumbled into it.

LucasArts; farted it out.

ILM; just a brain freeze.

Fucker tripped over a wire and reinvented cinema.  Clumsy bastard.

touchingcloth

Oh, come on now. It takes a special kind of man to bring us a single film featuring Jar Jar Binks, an intergalactic trade dispute and an anti-Semitic space wasp. Thrilling.

Icehaven

That Red Nose Day still exists, and that it's today.

momatt

Quote from: icehaven on March 15, 2019, 01:27:12 PM

What are they messing about at?  Surely Africa must be fixed by now?

gilbertharding

Stacey Dooley was trying, but David Lammy told her to stop.

St_Eddie

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 15, 2019, 08:32:07 AM
Oh, come on now. It takes a special kind of man to bring us a single film featuring Jar Jar Binks, an intergalactic trade dispute and an anti-Semitic space wasp. Thrilling.

I never said that he hadn't made some terrible movies but it's not right to dismiss him wholesale.  You'll all miss him when he's gone.

Sebastian Cobb

Missing it because I'm going the pub and seeing Tony Law. Get in.

Replies From View

Yeah I didn't realise this either until all the kids turned up to school wearing red noses.

Red noses have used the same basic idea now for a decade.  They're just latex foam balls in a range of different shapes and styles.  They are themed differently for each Red Nose Day, but apart from that nothing has changed about them since 2009.  They fit on the nose very comfortably, but they're pretty bloody boring really, compared to the days of the Stonker (with the arms), the Tomato, and that one with the tongue that rolled out and made a raspberry noise when you squeezed it.

touchingcloth

Replies is involved with schools in some capacity. This is only marginally less discomfiting than when I learned that Poo and Pijl are in academia.

Replies From View

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 15, 2019, 07:47:28 PM
Replies is involved with schools in some capacity. This is only marginally less discomfiting than when I learned that Poo and Pijl are in academia.

KINDA LIKE YOURS, LIBRARY LADY!

touchingcloth

ToneLa

Ah reckon people judge your posts by your avatar

So oot the short-lived hilariously creepy dude goes and in comes the beareded dead nutcase I admire who I feel represents me rather than my jokes!

-ALT ANSWER-

Ah need to git oot more

Head Gardener

gib

Quote from: ToneLa on March 15, 2019, 10:55:26 PM
Ah reckon people judge your posts by your avatar

So oot the short-lived hilariously creepy dude goes and in comes the beareded dead nutcase I admire who I feel represents me rather than my jokes!

-ALT ANSWER-

Ah need to git oot more

Yeah stay with the beardy guy.

gib

Quote from: Head Gardener on March 15, 2019, 11:22:43 PM
Quoteholding a pen correctly could save you energy

Even the kind folks at speedreading.com only gave this 2.7 out of a possible 5.

buzby

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 15, 2019, 04:08:42 AM
I think that we can all agree that George Lucas quite literally never did anything of note.  The man's a blagger.

THX; stumbled into it.

LucasArts; farted it out.

ILM; just a brain freeze.

Fucker tripped over a wire and reinvented cinema.  Clumsy bastard.
Lucas financed all of the above groups and got them off the ground, but he was wasn't responsible for their developments and innovations
THX - Tomlinson Holman (who it is named after), who worked at Lucasfilm from 1982 to 1997 (though the bulk of the work on the THX standard was completed in 1987)
ILM - John Dykstra (who ran foul of Lucas late in production due to delays caused by the development of the Dykstraflex motion control system and was subsequently given the boot).
Lucasarts - created by Lucasfilm executive R. Douglas Norby in 1989 when he decided to refocus Lucasfilm Games. He served as LucasArts CEO until 1992 when he was fired  not long after the then head of ILM Scott Ross left the company. There is a good 2-part article on Scott Ross' blog from 2011 about his departure, and also highlights how little input Lucas actually had in the running of his company:
Part 1
Part 2

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: buzby on March 16, 2019, 01:04:37 AM

THX - Tomlinson Holman (who it is named after), who worked at Lucasfilm from 1982 to 1997 (though the bulk of the work on the THX standard was completed in 1987)

& not Lucas' much-earlier 'THX-1138'? or was that also named for Holman?

St_Eddie

Quote from: buzby on March 16, 2019, 01:04:37 AM
Lucas financed all of the above groups and got them off the ground, but he was wasn't responsible for their developments and innovations
ILM - John Dykstra (who ran foul of Lucas late in production due to delays caused by the development of the Dykstraflex motion control system and was subsequently given the boot).
Lucasarts - created by Lucasfilm executive R. Douglas Norby in 1989 when he decided to refocus Lucasfilm Games. He served as LucasArts CEO until 1992 when he was fired  not long after the then head of ILM Scott Ross left the company. There is a good 2-part article on Scott Ross' blog from 2011 about his departure, and also highlights how little input Lucas actually had in the running of his company:
Part 1
Part 2

It's not a question of subjective opinion.  George Lucas' influence upon the industry is undeniable.   Believe you, me, I'm the first person to say that the Star Wars prequels suck.  The less said about Kingdom of the Crystal Skull the better.  I'm not on the Lucas defence force (pun very much intended).  I'm simply acknowledging a man for his talents.  Credit where credit is due.

Naturally, great art is a collaborative process.  I never argued otherwise, your Honour.

buzby

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on March 16, 2019, 06:13:06 AM
& not Lucas' much-earlier 'THX-1138'? or was that also named for Holman?
Quote from: Droidmaker: George Lucas and the Digital Revolution by Michael Rubin
People have been asking the question for years: what does THX stand for? And this is was exactly Jim Kessler's marketing intent: keep 'em asking question after question, and they're taking about you!"
"It's gotta sound cool, high-tech, and I wanted a way to credit Tom Holman, the inventor," said Kessler. Doodling around, "I just wrote the initials for Tom Holman Crossover on my desk one day." "Crossover" was a reference to the way the speakers divide the treble and bass for ideal acoustics. Traditionally, the crossover is done passively, in a loudspeaker. Holman had designed an electronic crossover. Kessler wrote "crossover" with an X, as in "X-over." He smiled as he recognized the letters THX from George's film THX 1138. "George always seemed to like them, and had used them as a private joke on a license plate on Harrison Ford's roadster in American Graffiti." Kessler liked that the name was both very "Lucas" and still not immediately identifiable as Lucas. "THX, that's perfect!" So Kessler rushed down the stairs and into the cool dark mixing theater beneath him, where Lucas was sleeping on the couch during another marathon Jedi mixing session. Lucas woke up and watched in silence as Kessler waved the paper around and ranted about how perfect the name would be. "Great" was all he said, and that was the end of it.
(Jim Kessler was the VP of Sprockets Systems, Lucasfilm's post-production division)

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 16, 2019, 07:52:22 PM
It's not a question of subjective opinion.  George Lucas' influence upon the industry is undeniable... I'm simply acknowledging a man for his talents.  Credit where credit is due.

Naturally, great art is a collaborative process.  I never argued otherwise, your Honour.
His main talent appears to have been as a producer more than anything else, picking people who could achieve his goals and leaving them to get on with it (even when he was directing ANH & ROTJ, he was more concerned with technical aspects and would usually leave the actors to their own devices). From the mid-90s when the work on the Special Editions started and he wanted to be in control of everything (still rankling from the credit given to his collaborators on the original trilogy* and the Indy films) and was surrounded by yes men who relied on him for their livelihoods is when it started to unravel.

I really suggest you read those Scott Ross blog entries. They provide a fascinating insight into the inner workings and politics inside Lucasfilm just before the work on the Special Editions started. Lucas didn't even recognise the president of ILM or know Ross's name when he tried to have a conversation with him at the company picnic.

*his ex-wife Marcia and Dykstra both getting Oscars for Star Wars, and Irvin Kershner's ESB being regarded as the best of the Star Wars trilogy.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: Head Gardener on March 15, 2019, 11:22:43 PM

Taylor Swift holds her pen ergonomically! more info

I'm not having that.
That's how a nonce holds a pen... and I know that because I heard someone say it at school once.

St_Eddie

Quote from: buzby on March 16, 2019, 08:38:39 PM
From the mid-90s and the Special Editions onwards when he started to want to be in control of everything and was surrounded by yes men who relied on him for their livelihoods is when it started t unravel.

I never suggested otherwise.  I simply stated a fact; that George Lucas had a huge impact on cinema.  Note that I didn't comment upon his films.  There's not enough time in the world for me to bitch about Lucas' output.  However, that's irrelevant.  I'm being objective.