Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:44:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on March 16, 2019, 08:45:15 PM
I'm not having that.
That's how a nonce holds a pen... and I know that because I heard someone say it at school once.

I'm not having that either.  The page says it's effortless but I just tried it and it took more effort than the non-weird way.

I've just remembered once seeing someone write in a very stupid way that I've never seen before or since.  Now to try and explain it... ah yes... hold your hand in the heavy metal 'devil horns' pose.  Now lay the pen down across the two outstretched fingers.  Now curl the two outstretched fingers around the pen like you're trying to make a fist.

New page writers cramp.

holyzombiejesus

Despite watching it dozens of times, I only realised last night that part of the QI title sequence isn't distorted because of a bad signal but is actually supposed to look like that.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 17, 2019, 08:32:49 PM
Despite watching it dozens of times, I only realised last night that part of the QI title sequence isn't distorted because of a bad signal but is actually supposed to look like that.

I always skip right over it because of that fucking horrible music. they had him on the show once, too, out of desperation one assumes. howard something. not shore. not kendall. twat.

Gregory Torso

"February" must be a fuck up, a historical mistake. It follows "January", "Febuary", some monk getting arseholed on communion wine probably wrote an extra r to stick it to the future sex-havers.

Ferris

The word "option" describes possible things one might "opt" for.

Gregory Torso

"Cowardice" means someone who won't be "co"erced into going to "war" because that would be "dice"ing with death. The fascists have won.

gib

Quote from: Gregory Torso on March 17, 2019, 10:31:05 PM
"Cowardice" means someone who won't be "co"erced into going to "war" because that would be "dice"ing with death. The fascists have won.

That's not quite right. It's more likely they were 'cowered' into going, which derives it's meaning from the kneeling position that cows adopt when they are afraid of going to war.

Captain Z

Quote from: Gregory Torso on March 17, 2019, 09:49:02 PM
"February" must be a fuck up, a historical mistake. It follows "January", "Febuary", some monk getting arseholed on communion wine probably wrote an extra r to stick it to the future sex-havers.

It's named after the Roman god of spring cleaning, Febreze.

Replies From View

Dex Sawash

zomgmouse

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 16, 2019, 09:01:04 PM
I simply stated a fact; that George Lucas had a huge impact on cinema.

That's kind of like saying that Margaret Thatcher had a huge impact on the UK. She did, but it was atrocious.

St_Eddie

Quote from: zomgmouse on March 18, 2019, 02:15:27 AM
That's kind of like saying that Margaret Thatcher had a huge impact on the UK. She did, but it was atrocious.

I largely agree.  As you say though, he still had a huge impact, which was the only point I was making.  My own feelings on the matter are completely irrelevant.

olliebean

The name "Topher" is an abbreviation of "Christopher."

garnish

Quote from: olliebean on March 18, 2019, 09:01:43 PM
The name "Topher" is an abbreviation of "Christopher."

Which itself is short for "St Christopher".

machotrouts

Quote from: garnish on March 18, 2019, 09:26:42 PMWhich itself is short for "St Christopher".

Which itself is short for "Street Christopher".

garnish

Quote from: machotrouts on March 18, 2019, 09:30:02 PM
Which itself is short for "Street Christopher".

Which itself is short for "You're streets ahead Christopher, and we're all so proud"

Replies From View

Quote from: garnish on March 18, 2019, 09:26:42 PM
Which itself is short for "St Christopher".

"Saintsbury's Christopher", we called him.  (He always hung around in Tesco.)

Ferris

mothman

Macaroons and Macarons are completely different things.

St_Eddie

Twed

I've been doing "tl; dr" wrong. For some reason I write "tldr;", which is pretty stupid. Just putting the semicolon in there arbitrarily, like a bad surgeon who cuts costs on organs.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Twed on March 20, 2019, 05:14:45 PM
I've been doing "tl; dr" wrong. For some reason I write "tldr;", which is pretty stupid. Just putting the semicolon in there arbitrarily, like a bad surgeon who cuts costs on organs.

'tldr' can also be written '~'

Twed

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on March 20, 2019, 05:14:45 PM
I've been doing "tl; dr" wrong. For some reason I write "tldr;", which is pretty stupid.

Using that abbreviation in any form is pretty stupid.  Why are you offering lazy people a condescend summary of what you have to say?  If they can't be bothered to read an informed and elegantly written opinion, simply because 'durs too many wordz', then they don't deserve to acquire any sort of knowledge or thought from you.

Anyone who encounters a lengthy written piece and says to themselves 'nah, that's too long.  There are too many words to read, so I'm not gonna read it', does not warrant any kind of consideration.  Don't pander to these people.  Don't enable them to live a life of lazy ignorance, I implore you.

Paul Calf

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 20, 2019, 07:02:08 PM
Using that abbreviation in any form is pretty stupid.  Why are you offering lazy people a condescend summary of what you have to say?  If they can't be bothered to read an informed and elegantly written opinion, simply because 'durs too many wordz', then they don't deserve to acquire any sort of knowledge or thought from you.

Anyone who encounters a lengthy written piece and says to themselves 'nah, that's too long.  There are too many words to read, so I'm not gonna read it', does not warrant any kind of consideration.  Don't pander to these people.  Don't enable them to live a life of lazy ignorance.

tl;dr: Don't tl;dr.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 20, 2019, 07:02:08 PM
Why are you offering morons a condescend summary of what you have to say?  If they can't be bothered to read an informed and elegantly written opinion, simply because 'durs too many wordz',

I only discovered that other usage of TL;DR last year on reddit.  Before that I only ever saw it used where someone would quote someone else's long post and their reply would consist only of those 4 letters with the semicolon, taken to mean "If you think I'm reading all that text you've got another thing(!) coming."

touchingcloth

I haven't a clue how to spell the word pronounced "cocoa" in "I should cocoa!", or even how to type the way I pronounce another word which I don't know how to spell and which sounds like "zyuzsh", as in to zyuzsh something up a bit. The kind of nonsense which up I will not zyuzsh.