Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:48:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 20, 2019, 07:11:00 PM
I only discovered that second usage of TL;DR last year on reddit.  Before that I only ever saw it used where someone would quote someone else's long post and their reply would consist only of those 4 letters with the semicolon, taken to mean "If you think I'm reading all that text you've got another thing(!) coming."

That's even worse!  'This person simply must know that I refuse to read anything beyond a paragraph.  They simply must know that the entire world revolves around me and that everything must be tailored to my moronic specifications'.

Grave.  The lot of them.

kalowski

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 20, 2019, 07:13:31 PM
I haven't a clue how to spell the word pronounced "cocoa" in "I should cocoa!", or even how to type the way I pronounce another word which I don't know how to spell and which sounds like "zyuzsh", as in to zyuzsh something up a bit. The kind of nonsense which up I will not zyuzsh.
I'd say "I should coco"

kittens

like i should make some cocoa? i never need to say that anyway

Replies From View

Quote from: kittens on March 20, 2019, 07:22:16 PM
like i should make some cocoa? i never need to say that anyway

Yeah but you might need to one day.

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 20, 2019, 07:11:00 PM
I only discovered that other usage of TL;DR last year on reddit.  Before that I only ever saw it used where someone would quote someone else's long post and their reply would consist only of those 4 letters with the semicolon, taken to mean "If you think I'm reading all that text you've got another thing(!) coming."

It used to be called an executive summary, but that was too long to read.

kittens

Replies From View

Quote from: kittens on March 20, 2019, 07:35:24 PM
i don't like cocoa

You might not have a choice one day.  Think of the future and get these sayings learnt.

chocky909

I've recently been alerted to the reality that Tyrion Lannister (played by Peter Dinklage) on the TV series Game Of Thrones often sounds quite a lot like Victor 'I don't believe you!' Meldrew from the sitcom One Foot In The Grave.

Cuellar

I heard a posh person say Prometheus the other day and he pronounced the last bit like you or I would pronounce Zeus, and I thought well of course. No reason that we would pronounce the former ProME-thee-US and pronounce the latter Zyoos. Should be Promethyoos shouldn't it.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 20, 2019, 07:13:31 PM
I haven't a clue how to spell the word pronounced "cocoa" in "I should cocoa!", or even how to type the way I pronounce another word which I don't know how to spell and which sounds like "zyuzsh", as in to zyuzsh something up a bit. The kind of nonsense which up I will not zyuzsh.

Zhoosh or zhuzh seem to be the popular spellings, but there's also support for tszuj.

I didn't know there was a possible Polari connection. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/zhoosh

St_Eddie

Twed

Somebody get St_Eddie immediately outside of my field of view before I do something uncontrollable.

touchingcloth

Rainforests - forests, where it rains a lot.

I've always known that they were forests and when I think of the word a sense of dampness comes to mind, I just picture them without wet, falling rain. I think it's a compound word I've been familiar with for so long that my brain no longer wants to see it as two separate and very common words placed together, and it's just its own ineffable whole to me now. Like chinamen.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 20, 2019, 07:02:08 PM
Using that abbreviation in any form is pretty stupid.  Why are you offering lazy people a condescend summary of what you have to say?  If they can't be bothered to read an informed and elegantly written opinion, simply because 'durs too many wordz', then they don't deserve to acquire any sort of knowledge or thought from you.

Anyone who encounters a lengthy written piece and says to themselves 'nah, that's too long.  There are too many words to read, so I'm not gonna read it', does not warrant any kind of consideration.  Don't pander to these people.  Don't enable them to live a life of lazy ignorance, I implore you.

too long; started masturbating.

kalowski

zomgmouse

Quote from: kalowski on March 21, 2019, 07:15:28 PM
Misanthropic and philanthropic are antonyms.

Oh wow yeah they are too! Makes sense with the miso-(hate) (e.g. misogyny) and philo-(love) (e.g. cinephile) affixes.

kalowski

Quote from: zomgmouse on March 22, 2019, 03:48:26 PM
Oh wow yeah they are too! Makes sense with the miso-(hate) (e.g. misogyny) and philo-(love) (e.g. cinephile) affixes.
Yep. 0bvious really, but I'd never noticed before.

Ferris

Are they direct antonyms? I thought the opposite of -philia was -phobe, though "misanthrope vs philanthropy" was a very good 0bvious thing I'd never noticed.

zomgmouse

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 23, 2019, 12:57:17 AM
Are they direct antonyms? I thought the opposite of -philia was -phobe, though "misanthrope vs philanthropy" was a very good 0bvious thing I'd never noticed.

You may be right but purely semantically phobia is fear so love vs hate seems to be a more direct antonym. But phobia does seem to be used a lot as an antonym too.

Ferris

Quote from: zomgmouse on March 23, 2019, 02:56:47 AM
You may be right but purely semantically phobia is fear so love vs hate seems to be a more direct antonym. But phobia does seem to be used a lot as an antonym too.

I like the misanthrope/philanthropy thing enough that I'm going to say they are antonyms anyway.

kalowski

PS. I once saw a wonderful cryptic crossword clue along the lines of

The opposite of the friend of Caesar J? (7)

ANTONYM

Replies From View

The opposite of the friend of Caesar was called Fraser.

Cerys

Quote from: kalowski on March 23, 2019, 08:09:02 AM
PS. I once saw a wonderful cryptic crossword clue along the lines of

The opposite of the friend of Caesar J? (7)

ANTONYM

That is rather beautiful.

kalowski

Ferris

kalowski

Ferris

Quote from: kalowski on March 23, 2019, 08:32:14 AM
Yes.
The opposite of = Antonym

Friend of Caesar J = Antony M

I saw that after I asked and edited my post. Nice bit of wordplay!

(It is 4.30am and I'm not at my best...)