Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:22:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Quote from: olliebean on March 24, 2019, 09:28:00 PM
What comes out of the funnel of a steam train is not steam.
What comes out of  the chimney on a steam engine is a mixture of smoke from the firebox and steam. Some of the exhaust steam from the driving cylinders is ducted into the smokebox at the front of the boiler via a blastpipe under the chimney to help pull the draught of the fire through the boiler tubes from the firebox.

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 24, 2019, 10:24:30 PM
Don't they have a little bell towards the end of the engine that releases steam as well as making a "choo choo choooooo" sound?
The steam comes out of the cylinders at the front, which then turn the driving wheels via the pistons and connecting rods. The 'chuff-chuff' sound is the steam exiting the cylinders at the end of the piston's stroke.

On some smaller engines the cylinders are internal (i.e. under the boiler between the wheels) and so are not visible.

The 'choo choo' is from the steam whistle, used as a warning. On British locomotives it's usually mounted on top of the boiler in front of the cab:

St_Eddie

Not sure that I'm prepared to trust a chicken named buzby, to be honest.

the

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 25, 2019, 11:32:41 PMNot sure that I'm prepared to trust a chicken named buzby, to be honest.

It's not a chicken, it's a Buzby.

St_Eddie

Quote from: the on March 26, 2019, 12:57:23 AM
It's not a chicken, it's a Buzby.

Weeelllllll, excuuuuuse me!

One thing is for certain: there is no stopping them; the Buzbies will here soon and I for one welcome our new poultry overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted CaBer, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their above ground seed caves.

Please forgive me!  Don't aim your beak at me!  Nnnooooo!!! Please, dear Gawd, I beg of you!  Noooooo...

Replies From View

When I was a kid there was some kind of Buzby day at my primary school.  Maybe a school fete or something sponsored by it.

So I know all about Buzby, unlike St Eddie!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on March 26, 2019, 01:06:52 AM
So I know all about Buzby, unlike St Eddie!

I'd congratulate you but you know that kind of knowledge, really, as in completely, sucks!  I've researched 18th Century spoons!  I thought that I was a loser of epic porridge scooping proportions but you, Sir, have shown me the light.  My God, man.   You researched Buzby, for goodness sake!  Buzby!

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Replies From View on March 25, 2019, 07:15:34 PM
Oh I thought the term was older than that, rather than a comedy reference.

Yes I'm sure it's older than that, it's a euphemism for needing a shit really badly.  See also 'turtle's head' and Peter Griffin's 'I'm crowning here'.

What comes out the funnel of a fire engine isn't fire.

It's actually water.

imitationleather

Quote from: DistressedArea on March 26, 2019, 07:59:52 AM

It's actually water.

Someone should tell them that you're supposed to fight fire with fire.

touchingcloth

It's actually water.

And it's not really the engine that's the main affair with those things but rather the back that's all filled with water,, so a more accurate name would be a fire boot.

Replies From View

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 26, 2019, 02:15:44 AM
Yes I'm sure it's older than that, it's a euphemism for needing a shit really badly.  See also 'turtle's head' and Peter Griffin's 'I'm crowning here'.

Yeah I knew this; I just never associated it with Peep Show.

buzby

Quote from: Replies From View on March 26, 2019, 08:12:05 AM
Yeah I knew this; I just never associated it with Peep Show.
Yes, I'm sure the League Of Gentlemen, Chubby Brown and Viz had all used the term long before Mitchell & Webb did too.

St_Eddie

It's actually water.

No, it's pork rinds.

Quote from: buzby on March 26, 2019, 08:30:30 AM
Yes, I'm sure the League Of Gentlemen, Chubby Brown and Viz had all used the term long before Mitchell & Webb did too.

I'm sure I remember someone (maybe Frank Skinner) adapting the phrase to suit a robot when the movie below came out.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Better Midlands on March 26, 2019, 09:28:14 AM

Pfft!  That's not a real movie.  That's a fever dream I once had after eating some dodgy prawns.

Pancake

Just realised bog roll's got little perforations along it's length to help you tear it into more useable sections!

Pancake

Thanks to this terrible brexbarcle I've leaned that an MP can enter and leave government but still be an MP in their constituency

St_Eddie

Quote from: Pancake on March 26, 2019, 10:02:31 AM
Just realised bog roll's got little perforations along it's length to help you tear it into more useable sections!

Not the cheap sandpaper I buy!

Norton Canes

If I'm alert and quick off the mark I can skip Harry Redknapp a split-second before he completes the word 'roly-polies'

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: buzby on March 26, 2019, 08:30:30 AM

we were saying it on teesside before viz started appearing in my local, & the first issues I have (i.e. that escaped tyneside) are 8, 9 & 10.
as noted elsewhere, my sister swears that mr vasey was our babysitter on at least one occasion, & that he had piano lessons off me mam. so I likely heard him say it.
the dirty bollocks &c.

studpuppet

Quote from: Replies From View on March 26, 2019, 01:06:52 AM
When I was a kid there was some kind of Buzby day at my primary school.  Maybe a school fete or something sponsored by it.

There was one at my brother's secondary school - I won a soft toy Buzby AND a six inch tall scale model of the Post Office Tower.

Norton Canes

Used to go to the Norfolk Show when I was a younger. One year they had a British Telecom game where half a dozen kids at a time sat in front of a big map and had to light up locations by dialing the correct numbers in order. I won my round; the prize was a mug, which may or may not have featured Buzby, I can't remember.

Talulah, really!

Quote from: buzby on March 25, 2019, 11:23:30 PM
What comes out of  the chimney on a steam engine is a mixture of smoke from the firebox and steam. Some of the exhaust steam from the driving cylinders is ducted into the smokebox at the front of the boiler via a blastpipe under the chimney to help pull the draught of the fire through the boiler tubes from the firebox.

The steam comes out of the cylinders at the front, which then turn the driving wheels via the pistons and connecting rods. The 'chuff-chuff' sound is the steam exiting the cylinders at the end of the piston's stroke.

On some smaller engines the cylinders are internal (i.e. under the boiler between the wheels) and so are not visible.

The 'choo choo' is from the steam whistle, used as a warning. On British locomotives it's usually mounted on top of the boiler in front of the cab:

This was all pretty much set to music by Pete Atkin from words by Clive James in The Original Original Honky Tonk Night Train Blues.

https://youtu.be/wSG8ZJgTVaI

Johnboy

gilbertharding

I met Buzby in the foyer of the theatre when my Cub Scout pack were taken to see the Gang Show in London. He was handing out badges with 'Make Someone Happy' on them.

Ray Travez

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 26, 2019, 02:41:02 PM
I met Buzby in the foyer of the theatre when my Cub Scout pack were taken to see the Gang Show in London. He was handing out badges with 'Make Someone Happy' on them surprisingly down to earth, and VERY funny

the

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 26, 2019, 02:41:02 PM
I met Buzby in the foyer of the theatre when my Cub Scout pack were taken to see the Gang Show in London. He was handing out badges with 'Make Someone HappyFuck the Police' on them.

touchingcloth

I don't have a clue what those red on white licence plates you sometimes see people hitchiking with or stuck behind a car windscreen are.

Let's see if my googling is quicker than the arrival of the Buzby chicken.