Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:06:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

IT’S BLADE RUNNER O’CLOCK

Started by mothman, January 01, 2019, 02:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

It's the year of darkness! Oh, no wait, that's 2029, according to The Terminator. But yeah! 2019! When Blade Runner is set. And also Zardoz, apparently.

St_Eddie

Alternate universe, perchance?  Why is that such a difficult concept to grasp?  Maybe any given film is set in a universe that's alternate to our own.  In fact, I'd say that's a fact.  Presumably there wasn't an actual man/replicant named Deckard within our own reality.  It's fiction.  The course of that universe was not the same as our own and therefore, events and history would not align with our own.  Everything depicted on film is factual?  No, it's fictional.  What a silly thought it would be, to think that films are rooted in fact (unless your name's Mike Leigh).  Yes, very silly indeed.

greenman

Honestly though I don't really view Blade Runner as looking to make an exact prediction either, its as much interested in creating a noirish exotic world as anything rather than 2001 like attempts at realism.

That's one area I think the sequel obviously differed in style attempting to be a bit more down to earth.

St_Eddie

My previous post was nubbins and I am a great big gubbins.  The best course of action is to ignore me, I generally find.

This post is nonexistent.

St_Eddie

greenman

New US trade deal in place sometime this year....

buzby

Quote from: greenman on January 01, 2019, 06:14:50 AM
Honestly though I don't really view Blade Runner as looking to make an exact prediction either, its as much interested in creating a noirish exotic world as anything rather than 2001 like attempts at realism.
Syd Mead's designs for the film were very detailed and extensively thought through, based on his earlier career as an industrial designer and projections of existing technology.That's one of the reasons the world the film inhabits is so believable, despite having flying cars and bio-engineered slaves.

It's November when the film is set, so there's still 11 months for Elon to knock out a flying car.

greenman

Quote from: buzby on January 01, 2019, 10:29:09 AM
Syd Mead's designs for the film were very detailed and extensively thought through, based on his earlier career as an industrial designer and projections of existing technology.That's one of the reasons the world the film inhabits is so believable, despite having flying cars and bio-engineered slaves.

It's November when the film is set, so there's still 11 months for Elon to knock out a flying car.

Its believable and more down to earth than something such as say Dark City but I think beyond Meads designs the film is also aiming at a kind of romantic noirish clutter(didn't Scott use a Moebius book as an influence?) rather than only making a realistic prediction of the future.

That does as said I think make it easier to view the film as a kind of alternative future.

Mister Six

Or, terrifyingly, alternative present.

Alberon

Quote from: buzby on January 01, 2019, 10:29:09 AM

But they're leaving it a bit late for off-world colonies and sentient android slaves.

Sebastian Cobb

mothman

Another one.

QuoteIn 2019 the world has been devastated by nuclear war. The resulting radiation prevents humans from procreating. A group of survivors are sent in to New York, which is now under control by a band of savages conducting cruel human experiments on survivors, to rescue a woman who has mysteriously remained fertile.

Crikey!

buzby

Quote from: Alberon on January 01, 2019, 09:30:43 PM
But they're leaving it a bit late for off-world colonies and sentient android slaves.
I'm sure Elon's working on those too - retasking his submarine team to fitting Siri into a RealDoll.
Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 01, 2019, 09:31:21 PM
brb off to buy a robot owl.
Artificial owl - It's Blade Runner, not Clash Of The Titans!

Dropshadow

The main difference between "our" 2019 reality and Blade Runner's is that in ours Vangelis is a completely spent force while in Blade Runner's he's writing great soundtrack music.

BlodwynPig

St_Eddie

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 02, 2019, 07:49:03 AM
What time is it?

Time to die.

Pimm's new advert receives record number of Ofcom complaints.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: mothman on January 01, 2019, 02:59:31 AM
2019! When Blade Runner is set.

Ah thanks, that explains a picture I saw on facebook earlier - 3 images of 3 films with 2019 written in the corner of each.  I assumed they were sequels that were coming out this year, thought "those are gonna be shit I reckon", and carried on scrolling.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Shouldn't it be "Blade Runner o'calendar"?

mothman

Glebe

Quote from: buzby on January 01, 2019, 10:29:09 AMSyd Mead's designs for the film were very detailed and extensively thought through

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 01, 2019, 09:31:21 PMbrb off to buy a robot owl.

St_Eddie

Glebe

Sebastian Cobb

If you can't handle me at my Bubo you don't deserve me at my Tyrell, etc.

touchingcloth

If Blade Runner is now, shouldn't Ryan Gosling not be yet?

buzby

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 09, 2019, 08:38:54 PM
If Blade Runner is now, shouldn't Ryan Gosling not be yet?
That would also mean Sylvia Hoeks, Ana de Armas, Mackenzie Davis and Carla Juri wouldn't be yet either, which wouldn't be fair on anyone.

touchingcloth

touchingcloth

Recite your baseline.

To meet with his Jumbly Girl again;
Lonely and wild — all night he goes, —
The Dong with a luminous Nose!

Jumbly.

Jumbly.

Does your tumbly ever get rumbly? Jumbly.

Jumbly.

Does gumbly make you go dumbly? Jumbly.

Jumbly.

When they say you make no sense mumbly frumbly. Jumbly.

Jumbly.

Lonely.

Lonely.

Do you feel alone right now? Lonely.

Lonely.

Do people ever take advantage of you? Lonely.

Lonely.

We're the same, you and I. Do you ever feel more together? Lonely.

Lonely.

You're not that attractive you know. Lonely.

Lonely.

But I think you're alright. For a replicant. Lonely.

Lonely.

Would you hold it against me if I talked about genitals? Lonely.

Lonely.

Dong.

Dong.

I've seen your robot wife. Dong.

Dong.

Do you ever experiment? Dong.

Dong.

Have you ever played with artificial dong? Dong.

Dong.

Big fat dong.

Big fat dong.

Say that three times, big fat dong.

Big fat dong, big fat dong, big fat dong.

Say it again while touching yourself.

Big fat dong, big fat dong, big fat dong.

I'm done. I mean, we're done.

ToneLa

Quote from: Mister Six on January 01, 2019, 01:23:03 PM
Or, terrifyingly, alternative present.

Alternative superior present. I don't remember anyone moaning about politics and feminists and foreigns in the Blade Runner fillums.