Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:27:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Death List 2019

Started by solidified gruel merchant, January 01, 2019, 06:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Keebleman on March 09, 2019, 05:38:33 PM
Someone - I think it may have been Pauline Kael - said of Mickey Rooney circa It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World that he had gone from adolescence to puffy middle age with no intervening period. Similar could be said of JMV, except for 'adolescence' read 'hunky early manhood' and for 'puffy middle age' read 'physical and mental decrepitude'.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Also, 74 ?? Despite the decrepitude, I thought he was about 10 years younger than that.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on March 09, 2019, 02:42:46 PM
Don McLean tribute song not in the works for JMV

But then Airwolf was fine

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: SteveDave on March 17, 2019, 08:31:23 PM
Dick Dale!

http://californiarocker.com/2019/03/17/rip-dick-dale-king-of-the-surf-guitar-passes-away-at-82/

oh fucking no. went to see him at the very height of the post-tarantino interest in his music, thinking that after a couple of reverb-drenched loud twangy numbers, the novelty would wear off & we could retire to the bar for the rest of the show. but no- he turned out to be a hell of a showman (no fender puns intended) & regaled us with anecdotes as well as astonishing upside-down strat dexterity, even getting the other members of his band to play the instrument with drumsticks & so forth while he solo'd. magnificent. throughout the show, his prodigious use of picks meant that they were pretty much raining on the front row, chipped & worn on his 13-gauge strings. at the end of the show (enforced by the curfew at the T&C2 as it then was), he sat on the edge of the stage talking to people & signing things. somehow I'd missed out on getting a pick off the floor, & they were all gone, but I wanted one, & so I asked. "I'm not quite done with this one yet", he said, fishing one out of his pocket, "but hey what the heck- here!" & signed it with a sharpie.
surf's up.

Small Man Big Horse

Alberon

Seems to have been missed but Scott Tracey from Thunderbirds died last week.

Shane Rimmer was 89 and appears to have been in everything.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-47750524

Can we do a side bet on who is gonna die first - Jagger or Ozzy?

Alberon

I think Ozzy died a year or two back but hasn't realised it yet.

Ian Drunken Smurf

"It's a ruddy disgrace" opening remark at our "Quarterly Wake" held the last Saturday of each quarter. We collectively celebrated the lack of life/death of exactly ZERO of our chosen charges. It was compared by another player to "a Grand National where none of the horses die". Heads need to start rolling.

hermitical

Shawn Smith (Brad, Satchel, Pigeonhed etc etc) died in his sleep on the 5th, he was 53.
He seemed a very gentle person with a wonderful voice and created some beautiful music that has stayed with me for the last 25 years.

The Lurker

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on April 05, 2019, 07:41:41 PM
Can we do a side bet on who is gonna die first - Jagger or Ozzy?

I have Ozzy on my list, so that means he'll live for another 20 years.

Gulftastic

Quote from: SteveDave on April 25, 2019, 05:03:19 PM
Cliff Barnes is dead!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48046872

He at least outlived JR, so in the end, he sort of finally won!

Great character. JR = ultimate soap villain, Cliff Barnes = ultimate soap loser.

Dex Sawash

SteveDave

Boon Gould from Level 42

Weirdly I just read the Level 42 Hall Of Mediocrity thing from the Fist Of Fun book on the weekend. I was trying to find his quote about Madonna online but it's nowhere to be found.

Malcy

Nnnuurrrrlllll!!!

(Wookie for 'RIP, big hairy man').

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Gulftastic on May 03, 2019, 05:38:25 AM
Rrrrrrrrrip, Chewie.

That just sounds like Tony the Tiger ( from offa the " Frosties" adverts) is paying his respects .

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

(Can I just make it absolutely clear that I had to look that one up? Thanks)

Norton Canes

Didn't know he played the Minoton in Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger. Cool.

willpurry

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 03, 2019, 02:08:15 PM
Didn't know he played the Minoton in Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger. Cool.

Played The Tall Knight in 'Dark Towers' - even cooler.

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 03, 2019, 11:32:01 AM
(Can I just make it absolutely clear that I had to look that one up? Thanks)

Sure you did.

Ferris

Has nobody done "Peter Mayhewestinpeace" yet? Come on

Malcy

kalowski

In the name of the father, the son, and into the (wookie) hole he goes

Blue Jam

First Boo, now Grumpy Cat:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48308638

This is the 2016 of the celebrity animal kingdom.

Cerys

So young.  So, so young.  RIP Tardar.