Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 782
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:21:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Death List 2019

Started by solidified gruel merchant, January 01, 2019, 06:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Attila

Feeling sad about Peter Tork...although, it's amazing he hung on as long as he did, as he was pretty ill with a rare form of cancer about 10 years back. Mike is my favourite, and will be gutted when he goes, but readinig the obituaries about PT.

I knew he'd been an accommplished musician and frustrated by his role in the Monkees sometimes, but hadn't realised that he'd had such a struggle financially after the group disbanded and that -- considering all of the records and TV repeats, it makes me wonder about the state of their contracts. Probably abysmal, as so many were in the 60s when it came to giving artists and actors the shaft (I think, for example,only two of the cast of Gilligan's Island ever saw decent repeat fees because they were canny enough to negotiate decent contracts while the show was on the air).

SteveDave

paruses

Kim Taylor:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47473388

One of those people who I never really knew how I knew.

Alberon

I don't think I was aware of her relationship with Sigue Sigue Sputnik at the time. I think I was just aware of her from the Rough Guide shows.

Too many people uncomfortably close to my age have been dying recently. I don't like it. 61 is better than 49 or 52, but I'd much prefer it if they waited until their late seventies.

Jittlebags

Unlikely to have been on anyone's list, and not deserving of it's own thread, so...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/billionaire-diamond-trader-dies-during-14095551

Icehaven

Quote from: paruses on March 06, 2019, 04:38:16 PM
Kim Taylor:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47473388

One of those people who I never really knew how I knew.

I could have sword she was on The Clothes Show as well, but I've obviously misremembered.

paruses

Quote from: icehaven on March 06, 2019, 05:41:56 PM
I could have sword she was on The Clothes Show as well, but I've obviously misremembered.

Likewise - with Jeff Banks?

Blue Jam

Quote from: icehaven on March 06, 2019, 05:41:56 PM

Nah, that was... that other woman... you know the one.

It's been a bad week for 90's celebs alright.

kalowski

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 06, 2019, 10:04:14 PM
Nah, that was... that other woman... you know the one.

It's been a bad week for 90's celebs alright.
EDIT: Ignore me

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The Guardian have made quite the fuss about Magenta Devine, making prominent announcement of her death, publishing a 'Life In Pictures" piece, and an article by top old music journo David Stubbs about how great she was.
I have no wish to belittle Magenta Devine, she never did me any harm or anything,I never had any objections to her on that Newtwork Thingy tv show,and I just wonder if Jazzwinder Pencil or that likeable Irish feller who always seemed to be wearing a Cabaret Voltaire T-Shirt will get similar laudatory treatment when they cark it, but in not one of these articles was it mentioned that she wore sunglasses all the time  'cos , in common with her contemporary, Her Out Of Scarlet Fantastic, she looked like Miss Jones from "Rising Damp" without them.

SteveDave

2019 is turning out to be a great sequel to 2016.

Beagle 2

Quite gutted about Magenta Devine! When I was a kid I used to watch those shows and imagine that was what life was going to be like, being chic, travelling around, shooting up smack.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 07, 2019, 08:39:10 AM
The Guardian have made quite the fuss about Magenta Devine, making prominent announcement of her death, publishing a 'Life In Pictures" piece, and an article by top old music journo David Stubbs about how great she was

Quality piece (as ever) from the man Stubbs.

batwings

Norton Canes

batwings

Norton Canes

Hell, he copped it.

Remember Airwolf, your honour?

gilbertharding

Looks like they dug him back up again. Poor sod.

biggytitbo

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 08, 2019, 04:36:54 PM

Looks like they dug him back up again. Poor sod.

They didn't announce his death for a month as they were arranging to take his corpse up in Airwolf  one last time as per his dying wishes, but unfortunately it was mothballed in 1992.

phes

Quote from: batwings on March 08, 2019, 04:09:53 PM
RIP Stringfellow Hawk

https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/08/airwolf-star-jan-michael-vincent-dead/

I recall the first episode. I think The Dukes of Hazard had finished its run on UK TV and unbeknownst I tuned in to watch it (maybe 1984 ish). I literally cried when the announcer said 'and following on from the Dukes of Hazard ending last week...'

Took me about 20 seconds flat to stop crying

Screeching
*Helicopter engines and blades*
Baseline and four to the floor kick drum
SYNTH
Engineering schematics
Badass fucking helicopter blowing shit up
Handsome, cool pilot, playing the cello, obvs
Ernie Borgnine
Briefing

Dukes of who?

So long Stringfellow Hawke

kalowski

I'm amazed he made it to 74

QuoteVincent battled alcoholism and intravenous drug use for much of his life. In 1977, 1978 and 1979 he was arrested for possession of cocaine and in 1984 and 1985 he was arrested after two bar brawls. He also received a felony assault charge in 1986, of which he was acquitted, after his attorney argued that the woman tripped and fell on a telephone cord in his home. He then was arrested for drunk driving but avoided jail by entering rehab in 1988. In 2000 a $374,000 default judgment was made against him after his former girlfriend alleged he had physically assaulted her after their breakup and caused her to miscarry their child.

During the 1990s, he was involved in three severe automobile collisions, which he barely survived. In an accident in August 1996 Vincent broke three vertebrae in his neck. He also sustained a permanent injury to his vocal cords from an emergency medical procedure, leaving him with a permanently raspy voice. The first near fatal accident occurred in February 1992 and the third happened in September 1997.

Vincent was charged with drunk driving again after his 1996 accident and once again sentenced to rehab and placed on probation. In an interview on the TV program The Insider on September 18, 2007, when asked about his 1996 car accident, he answered, "Y'know, I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't remember being in an accident."

In 2000 Vincent violated probation for his prior alcohol-related arrests by appearing drunk in public three times and assaulting his fiancée. As a result, he was sentenced to 60 days in the Orange County Jail.

Vincent was involved in another automobile accident in 2008.

In an interview that took place on October 24, 2014, with National Enquirer, Vincent revealed that his right leg was amputated just below the knee in 2012 after he contracted a leg infection as a result of complications from peripheral artery disease. After that he walked with a prosthetic limb, although he was sometimes forced to use a wheelchair. He also revealed he had a tax debt in excess of $70,000.

Big Wednesday, is a masterpiece

biggytitbo

I wouldn't like to see his insurance premiums.

Twed

Dex Sawash

RIP JMV, didn't like you in The Mechanic

Don McLean tribute song not in the works for JMV

Keebleman

Someone - I think it may have been Pauline Kael - said of Mickey Rooney circa It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World that he had gone from adolescence to puffy middle age with no intervening period. Similar could be said of JMV, except for 'adolescence' read 'hunky early manhood' and for 'puffy middle age' read 'physical and mental decrepitude'.