Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:35:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inbetweeners 10 yer reunion programme

Started by paruses, January 01, 2019, 09:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

Anybody watching / watched this?

Personally I didn't think the series stood up to repeat viewings and the first film was disappointing. I haven't seen the second but it's supposed to be better.

So far it seems to be a clip show hung around a fake awards show Everyone looks very awkward and Jimmy Carr already seems to have misjudged his bantz calling Emily Head a slag to her dad.

Your opinions are welcome.

big egg

It's not good is it. Very interesting that it has been heavily advertised on 4 but with no indication that it would be an awkward Jimmy Carr fronted affair. Looks like they haven't even been bothered to disguise the 8 out of 10 cats studio.

I'd say it deserves a lot better, but I never got the sense that the 4 of them are particularly good friends (fwends!! Hahahaha!!) so the whole reunion angle never actually appealed. A documentary or talking heads thing like they had for Father Ted or that recent Partridge one would have been my preference. Jimmy Carr is so shit in this sort of thing, he's in proper "going through the motions corporate appearance" mode.

Utter Shit

Seems a bit redundant and definitely doesn't justify two hours, but I think it's been alright, it's a show that there hasn't been a huge amount of background about over the years and I've found a lot of it interesting, plus that history section was pretty funny. The awards stuff is bollocks though.

Also there are a lot of notable cast absences...No Emily Atack? No Alexander MacQueen? Most baffingly no Hannah Tointon even thought she is engaged to Joe Thomas?

BritishHobo

Trying to watch this on All4 and remembering what fucking gash All4 is.

paruses

Will's mum is stupidly hot though.

The interviews with them seem a bit like a boy band who no longer get on or ever did.

Greg Davies is a joy though.

Given that they keep doing an ariel shot over  what is basically the extended cast it's annoying how they've turned up the applause and laughter to 11 to make it seem like a proper Audience With affair.

imitationleather

I've been watching this for about twenty minutes and they've shown a clip of Will getting hit in the face with shit three times. It's not even a very funny scene.

BritishHobo

People on Twitter are PISSED. OFF. because they all thought it was going to be a new, two-hour episode. Can see why this would be properly disappointing if you thought that.

BritishHobo

Who wrote the history documentary stuff? The cinema bit is the funniest thing in the whole show but it feels like they've forgotten they're doing an Inbetweeners show, and are just going all-in on a spoof documentary.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 01, 2019, 11:11:35 PM
People on Twitter are PISSED. OFF. because they all thought it was going to be a new, two-hour episode. Can see why this would be properly disappointing if you thought that.

Clearly they didn't see any of the adverts or promotional material or anything about it. Silly sods.

paruses

The cinema bit was quite funny but could have been about anything. The talking heads are jarring.

Got the impression no-one was quite sure if they should whoop and cheer after the paedo school trip clip.

Will watch the episodes to see if they've stood the test of time.

BritishHobo

Quote from: paruses on January 01, 2019, 11:45:49 PM
The cinema bit was quite funny but could have been about anything. The talking heads are jarring.

That's what I thought. It was like they were just really enjoying writing that bit and forgot it was supposed to be an Inbetweeners thing.

BritishHobo

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 01, 2019, 11:39:59 PM
Clearly they didn't see any of the adverts or promotional material or anything about it. Silly sods.

What's funny is a lot of them are angrily claiming that Channel 4 had been pitching it as a new episode up until literally tonight, and that it's a big, deliberate trick, which has no basis in reality.

Ted_Dibiase

I enjoyed it, nothing groundbreaking but nice enough to fill an evening before the harsh realities of going back to work tomorrow.

Tikwid

Quote from: paruses on January 01, 2019, 11:45:49 PM
Will watch the episodes to see if they've stood the test of time.
[tag]Inbetweeners special researchers unaware Simon Bird played a fictional character[/tag]

Mobius

I rewatch The Inbetweeners all the time. It's still really funny. Jay is my favourite Inbetweener.

They should do another movie where one of them is getting married or something so they have a stag or holiday and they get up to some mishaps whilst on said holiday I'd love that.

undeliberated

It peaked in its second episode. 10th anniversary should be happening one week later to commemorate that episode. Then shut up about the rest of it forever.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: undeliberated on January 02, 2019, 04:11:19 AM
It peaked in its second episode. 10th anniversary should be happening one week later to commemorate that episode. Then shut up about the rest of it forever.

Haha, the type of opinion you'd only find on CaB!

madhair60

I thought Inbetweeners would be the worst thing ever but I found it quite charming really.

Also the final episode where Jay and Neil mutually agree to let Simon's car roll into the lake is fucking genius.

Utter Shit

Hahaha yes the casual indifference was so good, "the way I see it, this car is gonna end up in the water so we might as well let go"

madhair60

Then Neil smashing the window.

Now I'm thinking about Jay on the moped.

Inbetweeners was great fun.

Goldentony

yeah Jay going headfirst into the shop door on a fucking motorbike - fucking perfect

I was watching an episode of this last night presumably as part of the night with the French kid who just goes round being some French layabout and there's a line delivered by the Ladbrokes one where he says to nerd one

fuckin ell you really are a BOLLOCKLESS little TWAT aren't you

in the context of it being some dinner party no fuckers at, no women and the Kevin Bacon one is in a vest and blazer in his mums dining room with a table pulled up for the exchange kid. Or I think so anyway. The point is the delivery of the line YOU REALLY ARE A BOLLOCKLESS LITTLE TWAT captures how pathetic the whole thing is and has the same emotion as YOU FUCKING STUPID CUNT would

have the main four had a decent go at a career? I can only think of them as Ladbrokes, Kevin Bacon, In Betweeners One and the pissman who avoids a nickname because he hasn't ended up in any adverts and I cant remember if he was in that comedy about Romans or the World War 2 comedy where they all got back together except one of them

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'm assuming Kevin Bacon one is Will, because adverts, I Don't know who any of the others are supposed to be, sorry.

Jockice

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 01, 2019, 09:45:04 PM
Also there are a lot of notable cast absences...No Emily Atack? No Alexander MacQueen? Most baffingly no Hannah Tointon even thought she is engaged to Joe Thomas?

Apparently Emily Atack was originally invited but then the producers decided they didn't need her. Which is strange. The programme wasn't very good. I did like the Neil lookalike in that quiz though. The poor sod.

I loved The Inbetweeners but always found the small moments funnier than the large-scale stunts. They're very accurate and remind me of my own teens. Like when they're at that crap party, Simon plucks up courage to approach an attractive girl, she says: "Go away,'' and he spins round and returns to where he was before. Or in the fashion show episode when Charlotte says to Will that she wishes she could find a boyfriend like him and he replies: "What about me?" and she just laughs and says: "No, not you. Someone like you."

Been there in both cases. Boy, have I been there...

Quote from: imitationleather on January 01, 2019, 10:55:07 PM
I've been watching this for about twenty minutes and they've shown a clip of Will getting hit in the face with shit three times. It's not even a very funny scene.

Later on they showed all 18 takes. BANTZ.

Actually, I thought Carr's approach ("shit corporate do") was fine. I thought the history bits would have worked as a 1 hour thing, with a bit more sweary history guy and a few clips.

That said,

"They should do another movie where one of them is getting married or something so they have a stag or holiday and they get up to some mishaps whilst on said holiday I'd love that."

I can possibly see that happening. The Festival is clearly Inbetweeners 2 and a half.

imitationleather

I can also see another film happening. American Pie got back together years later and The Inbetweeners has basically become the British American Pie. Also apart from Will (dunno whether to use their Inbetweener name or actual name) they don't really seem to be having great careers.

I haven't seen The Festival because the trailers make it look absolute dogshite. Admittedly, the trailers for The Inbetweeners made it look pretty woeful until I watched an episode and realised it was quite different from how it was being advertised. But The Festival just looked like The Inbetweeners with three of them missing and Simon in his thirties apparently going to a festival for the first time. It didn't look very inspired.

paruses

Quote from: Jockice on January 02, 2019, 10:42:51 AM
I loved The Inbetweeners but always found the small moments funnier than the large-scale stunts. They're very accurate and remind me of my own teens. Like when they're at that crap party, Simon plucks up courage to approach an attractive girl, she says: "Go away,'' and he spins round and returns to where he was before. Or in the fashion show episode when Charlotte says to Will that she wishes she could find a boyfriend like him and he replies: "What about me?" and she just laughs and says: "No, not you. Someone like you."

Been there in both cases. Boy, have I been there...

Yes - I think that's why I found it very funny and painful and charming first time round - and I seem to remember I was breathless a few times. I've not really enjoyed repeat viewings because it's like hearing the same anecdote again from someone.

I am glad it exists.

The dancing at the end of the tribute programme was awful - so  at least it stuck to its guns. Jo Thomas and Paul Weller's Hair one closed it out nicely  I thought with a bit of sarcasm and some stifled laughter.

Emily Head should get more recognition for playing that sort of girl I knew at school - the episode where they go to Swanage and she is suddenly jealous that Simon might hook up with the new girl is really well played.

St_Eddie

I haven't watched this yet (Jimmy Carr's presence put me right off) but judging by the reaction, I'm all set to give this a watch later this evening.  I love a good bit of car crash telly, me.

Quote from: imitationleather on January 02, 2019, 02:46:03 PM
...apart from Will (dunno whether to use their Inbetweener name or actual name) they don't really seem to be having great careers.

Oh, I don't know about that.  James Buckley (Jay) is the main star of Zapped, which I enjoy and is clearly doing reasonably well, considering that it's already had three series.  He also cropped up in a recent episode of Red Dwarf.  Okay, so it's not an amazing career but all things considered and by British TV actor standards, it's far from a bad one.

Epic Bisto

Mrs Bisto was watching bits of it and all I could think of is the fact that the leads are pretty much typecast for life, no matter how much facial hair they grow.

I can imagine getting bored of it quickly if I decided to the buy the DVD sets, but when it's sprung on you at the right moment (ie. when you're casually flicking through the channels) it's still funny. Neil's ability to wander through life in a state of dumb awe will never get boring to me.

the science eel

The dopey one was in that BBC Jeremy Thorpe drama and played a completely different character - and he was pretty good. I think I've seen him in something else, too. He's going to be OK.

And the posh short one has been in loads of stuff, and he's always great.

So - you know, don't be daft. You might be a bunch of mean-spirited cunts here but wishing these lads hard times doesn't translate to anything much, you know. They're probably doing OK.