Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:09:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inbetweeners 10 yer reunion programme

Started by paruses, January 01, 2019, 09:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mango Chimes

I hate Twitter, but looking this up is refreshing – it sounds like an amazing car crash, everyone saying the main cast look like they don't want to be there, and everyone slagging Jimmy Carr brings warmth to my 2019 heart.

Utter Shit

I don't really get the car crash comments. It was bad but in a boring way rather than anything notably terrible.

Epic Bisto

Quote from: the science eel on January 02, 2019, 05:42:47 PM
You might be a bunch of mean-spirited cunts here but wishing these lads hard times doesn't translate to anything much, you know. They're probably doing OK.

I'm not wishing that on them. I hope they have long productive careers. The trouble is that the average lump in the street will always associate them with Inbetweeners and it may hurt them. Let's hope not.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Epic Bisto on January 02, 2019, 05:34:44 PM
Mrs Bisto was watching bits of it and all I could think of is the fact that the leads are pretty much typecast for life, no matter how much facial hair they grow.

Blimey, they're only in their mid-thirties, let's not write them off yet. The cast of The Young Ones did alright. Although, The Fenn Street Gang? Not so much.

Shit business.

BritishHobo

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 02, 2019, 08:38:54 PM
James Buckley apologises https://twitter.com/james_buckley/status/1080502231378599937?s=21

Nah fuck the fans, James. It was well-publicised for people who supposedly give a shit that this was a retrospective thing, and as Utter Shit said, it really was not car crash TV. I'm not seeing the AWKWARD and EXCRUCIATING programme everyone on Twitter seemed to.

Quote from: imitationleather on January 02, 2019, 02:46:03 PM
I can also see another film happening. American Pie got back together years later and The Inbetweeners has basically become the British American Pie. Also apart from Will (dunno whether to use their Inbetweener name or actual name) they don't really seem to be having great careers.

I haven't seen The Festival because the trailers make it look absolute dogshite. Admittedly, the trailers for The Inbetweeners made it look pretty woeful until I watched an episode and realised it was quite different from how it was being advertised. But The Festival just looked like The Inbetweeners with three of them missing and Simon in his thirties apparently going to a festival for the first time. It didn't look very inspired.

He's meant to have just finished uni so is presumably supposed to be 21 lol. Do you know what though it genuinely wasn't that bad! You just have to be willing to take it for what it is; a bit of daft comedy fun. I hated the second Inbetweeners film; just felt really unnecessary and was clearly only released as the first one did so well. Was surprised that I enjoyed the Festival as.much as I did.

Utter Shit

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 02, 2019, 09:16:54 PM
Nah fuck the fans, James. It was well-publicised for people who supposedly give a shit that this was a retrospective thing, and as Utter Shit said, it really was not car crash TV. I'm not seeing the AWKWARD and EXCRUCIATING programme everyone on Twitter seemed to.

I'm really struggling to understand why people thought it was a new episode. Everything I saw about it clearly marked it as a retrospective. Anyone who is annoyed about the show because it wasn't a new episode is being pretty unreasonable.

imitationleather

They probably very rarely watch TV and get all of their information about everything from Twitter.

Bobtoo

The idea that it was a new episode seems to have come from some misinformed articles that were doing the rounds a while back, judging from some of the comments on James Buckley's tweet.

up_the_hampipe

Even those who knew what the show was supposed to be were upset because Jimmy Carr ruined it.

MattD

Does anyone actually think Jimmy Carr is funny? Seems that only the bosses at Channel 4 think he's talented.

Give it twenty years and we'll be wondering how on earth he was able to carve a career as a broadcaster ala Jim Davidson.

DrGreggles

Quote from: MattD on January 02, 2019, 10:30:53 PM
Does anyone actually think Jimmy Carr is funny?

First saw him at a stand up night 15 or so years ago and he did a really funny 20 minutes of one liners.
Went to see his full show on the basis of that and it was a bit of a mixed bag. The 20 minutes I'd seen before represented the majority of the good stuff.
Never seen him doing stand up since, but I'm not a fan of his telly stuff. Seems pretty generic and lazy to me.
That good 20 minutes suggests that he knows (or knew) how to craft a decent joke though.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Bobtoo on January 02, 2019, 09:40:47 PM
The idea that it was a new episode seems to have come from some misinformed articles that were doing the rounds a while back, judging from some of the comments on James Buckley's tweet.

I notice this is more and more of a thing in internet news where a misunderstanding gets reported as fact - that a new film in a franchise is going to be a reboot, or that a show is coming back - and is picked up by many other news outlets who report what the headline says, ignoring an official quote in the article that demonstrates the entire thing is false.

paruses

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 02, 2019, 10:59:20 PM
First saw him at a stand up night 15 or so years ago and he did a really funny 20 minutes of one liners.
Went to see his full show on the basis of that and it was a bit of a mixed bag. The 20 minutes I'd seen before represented the majority of the good stuff.
Never seen him doing stand up since, but I'm not a fan of his telly stuff. Seems pretty generic and lazy to me.
That good 20 minutes suggests that he knows (or knew) how to craft a decent joke though.

Pretty much the same here. I went to see him as I thought he was quite funny when he first came around on the TV. It was when saying something outrageous or taboo was just about enough to get the laugh on mainstream programmes. Then saw his show a few years later and realised that was what propped it up. I'm not a big fan of one-liner shows so I should declare that but the mainstay of the show relied on him being heckled and having a deep well of putdowns to make the audience shriek with laughter.

I also realised I was getting old at that show - I blame him for that too.

magval

Anyone have a rip of this, would quite like to watch it now after all the discussion.

Quote from: magval on January 03, 2019, 05:15:28 PM
Anyone have a rip of this, would quite like to watch it now after all the discussion.

Must be on 4od or whatever it's called nowadays? X

St_Eddie

I watched this last night and yeah, it's not the car crash event that some have made it out to be.  Having said that it was awkward and the format was very ill-conceived.  Mostly boring though.

Quote from: Misspent Boners on January 03, 2019, 05:54:22 PM
Must be on 4od or whatever it's called nowadays? X

It is.  That's the means by which I watched it.  Waste of my precious Internet data to be honest.

magval

4OD doens't get on well with my PS3, you see. Crashes it utterly, in fact.

St_Eddie

Quote from: magval on January 03, 2019, 06:25:06 PM
4OD doens't get on well with my PS3, you see. Crashes it utterly, in fact.

Your PS3 has better taste than the rest of us, I guess.

madhair60

I went back for a look at the series and films after this and honestly it was even funnier than I remember.

Jockice

Quote from: imitationleather on January 02, 2019, 02:46:03 PM

I haven't seen The Festival because the trailers make it look absolute dogshite. Admittedly, the trailers for The Inbetweeners made it look pretty woeful until I watched an episode and realised it was quite different from how it was being advertised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWxNVbGFKJk

I really like this trailer. It was my first ever sighting of them, although I didn't watch the show itself until one Sunday I went round to a mate's place and he'd recorded that week's episode and said: 'You've got to watch this!" He'd only just discovered it himself. It was the one where Jay wanks over a picture of an old lady while she's in the room. I was hooked from that point onwards and after seeing Will shitting himself in an exam in the next week's episode, went back and watched all the old ones.

I don't think it was aimed at people in their early 40s (as I was at the time) but there was enough there to remind me of my own youth. Some people don't get it though. A friend of mine told me that she and her husband (I was at school with them both) had a similar experience to mine, except that they both sat stoney-faced through the thing while their host (I think it was her sister) ended up looking embarrassed. And a workmate of mine totally refused to watch it - even though he later watched Fresh Meat. Another female friend of mine asked me to go with her to the first film, even though she'd never seen the programme. I warned her it might not be to her taste but she insisted and loved it. So much so that I went to the second film with her. As far as I know she's still never seen it on TV though.

I hope they don't bring it back though. I thought the end of the second film (which is better than the first) was a good way to end it. Unless they come up with some great idea for them to get together again in their mid-20s (not a wedding, please!), I reckon it'll be crap.

madhair60

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I didnae really carefor the second film as it ended by undoing the happy ending of the first film ( especially for Will, the poor old soul ) " no need for that " I did think, as the credits rolled at the end of that fated second film ( but then I was in hysterics at the hilarious pictures of our Modern Day Fenn Street  Gang lads getting involved with some jolly attractive ladies in Bangkok- but they actually had male genitalia ( the ladies I mean, obviously the Modern Day Fenn Street Gang lads did ) !!!!!!!!!!

Utter Shit

TBH I think the entire two hour documentary was justified by the mention that one of the working titles for the show was "Dickheads".

Jockice

Talking of the first film, when I was in my late teens I too went on holiday with three mates. To Majorca. You can probably guess what that would be like. But you'd be wrong. We went sightseeing, had a few drinks and just generally pissed about. Copping off was not on the agenda. None of us even tried (in fact I can't even remember any of us talking to a woman). It's not as if we were being loyal to girlfriends or anything. I think only one of us was paired up at the time. And it certainly wasn't me. We'd all gone to Catholic schools but I don't think even that was a factor. It was just that none of us were into copping off for copping off's sake, especially in front of friends. Not that I had much chance of copping off anyway, even if I had tried.

Anyway, on my return to work I went out on a job with a photographer probably in his late 30s/early 40s. He literally couldn't believe that four young blokes had gone to Majorca and didn't spend their entire time trying to get into young ladies' knickers. He went into full Simon's dad mode reminiscing about his (alleged - he wasn't the most attractive of men) antics on teenage holidays and kept on questioning me, refusing to believe that I hadn't been exactly the same. In the end I said: "I did alright,'' just to try and shut him up.

I do have other friends who went on foreign holidays and apparently behaved like sex-starved yobs abroad, but I don't think it would have been my sort of thing. So in that case my mates and I were the Anti-Inbetweeners.

Quote from: Jockice on January 04, 2019, 10:51:39 AM
Talking of the first film, when I was in my late teens I too went on holiday with three mates. To Majorca. You can probably guess what that would be like. But you'd be wrong. We went sightseeing, had a few drinks and just generally pissed about. Copping off was not on the agenda. None of us even tried (in fact I can't even remember any of us talking to a woman). It's not as if we were being loyal to girlfriends or anything. I think only one of us was paired up at the time. And I wasn't one of them. We'd all gone to Catholic schools but I don't think even that was a factor. It was just that none of us were into copping off for copping off's sake, especially in front of friends.

Anyway, on my return to work I went out on a job with a photographer probably in his late 30s/early 40s. He literally couldn't believe that four young blokes had gone to Majorca and didn't spend their entire time trying to get into young ladies' knickers. He went into full Simon's dad mode reminiscing about his (alleged - he wasn't the most attractive of men) antics on teenage holidays and kept on questioning me, refusing to believe that I hadn't been exactly the same. In the end I said: "I did alright,'' just to try and shut him up.

I do have other friends who went on foreign holidays and apparently behaved like sex-starved yobs abroad, but I don't think it would have been my sort of thing. So in that case my mates and I were the Anti-Inbetweeners.

If they do do a wedding movie, make it Big John's.

SteveDave

The second film should've been Simon's stag-do. Only Will, Jay and Neil turn up out of everyone he invites. It would've come out this year and then the third film could've been Mr Gilbert's funeral (released 2026). 

Jockice

Quote from: A Hat Like That on January 04, 2019, 11:35:04 AM
If they do do a wedding movie, make it Big John's.

Only if he marries Charlotte.