Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:02:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inbetweeners 10 yer reunion programme

Started by paruses, January 01, 2019, 09:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-O-W-L

Buckley's (AKA Ladbrokes/Jay/The Cockney Bloighter One) career is apparently doing well enough to keep him in decent straits. He shows up a bunch in Rooster Teeth (a Video Game Internet Show for anyone sane and normal) videos and talks about stuff he's doing, so he seems to be alright. He has a sizeable internet following too.

Nowhere Man

James Buckley's also been on a (absolutely terrible) show since September 2018 on NBC called I Feel Bad, which I must reiterate once again, is god awful, but still, its a prime time US sitcom!

I bet he gets payed more than he got for the Inbetweeners

arpster

Lasted 15 mins...Carr was fucking terrible

St_Eddie

Quote from: arpster on January 04, 2019, 01:20:18 PM
Lasted 15 mins...Carr was fucking terrible

I think that's the point.  It's supposed to be a shit car.

...Oh, Carr.  Yes, he's was fucking atrocious, as usual.

Cuellar

Quote from: the science eel on January 02, 2019, 05:42:47 PM
The dopey one was in that BBC Jeremy Thorpe drama and played a completely different character - and he was pretty good. I think I've seen him in something else, too. He's going to be OK.

And the posh short one has been in loads of stuff, and he's always great.

So - you know, don't be daft. You might be a bunch of mean-spirited cunts here but wishing these lads hard times doesn't translate to anything much, you know. They're probably doing OK.

Yeah I thought he was good in that Jeremy Thorpe thing. He popped up in a rather shit Agatha Christie 'The Truth of Murder' dramatisation of when she went missing, playing another sort of spiv character but was again quite good.

So good for him.

Sebastian Cobb

Neil was in that Todd Margaret thing with David Cross.

Custard

I pretty much hated the second film, too. The ending of the first was a really nice way to leave it. But it made so much money that a sequel pretty much had to happen, even if there was no great creative idea behind it

It was a very strange film. Weird decisions like Simon's girlfriend becoming a stalking, cheating nightmare, even though she was perfectly reasonable and lovely in the first film. Jay's dream. The swimming pool scene, which felt like it'd belong better in the Kevin and Perry film. And did

It was prize plops, and I pretend it doesn't exist

arpster

Loved Neil in 'Tripped' ...surprised there wasn't more of that ...

Jockice

Quote from: Shameless Custard on January 04, 2019, 04:26:48 PM

It was a very strange film. Weird decisions like Simon's girlfriend becoming a stalking, cheating nightmare, even though she was perfectly reasonable and lovely in the first film.

Yeah, that was a bit bizarre. But having said that, I have heard of relationships that started off well and ended up being a nightmare. A mate of mine had one in which his girlfriend basically tried to cut him off from almost everyone, including the person who had introduced them. Her cousin.

For some reason she thought I was ok but it got to the situation where half the times we had arranged to meet he had to cancel at short notice because she had decided that he wasn't allowed to go out. So it can happen.

Anyway, I still really enjoyed the film though. So there.

BritishHobo

What annoyed me about that is that Simon has always been shown to be the needy, full-on, stalker type - and they went back to that in The Festival, which was basically a film about Simon graduating uni. But for some reason in The Inbetweeners 2 they decided to make him a normal blahddy lad's lad, bantering about how awful his girlfriend is.

Joe Thomas is really funny as that pathetic needy character, too. My biggest laugh in The Festival was him on stage at graduation trying to talk to Hannah Tointon.

Also there's a bit in The Inbetweeners 2 where Jay tells some men that Simon is a paedophile, so they try to drown him, which, haha? Apart from that and the pool bit I love it though.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: big egg on January 01, 2019, 09:34:17 PM
It's not good is it. Very interesting that it has been heavily advertised on 4 but with no indication that it would be an awkward Jimmy Carr fronted affair. Looks like they haven't even been bothered to disguise the 8 out of 10 cats studio.

I'd say it deserves a lot better, but I never got the sense that the 4 of them are particularly good friends (fwends!! Hahahaha!!) so the whole reunion angle never actually appealed. A documentary or talking heads thing like they had for Father Ted or that recent Partridge one would have been my preference. Jimmy Carr is so shit in this sort of thing, he's in proper "going through the motions corporate appearance" mode.

Christ, that reminds me that i havent seen the partridge chat show yet.

It baffles me why Morris fans would like this inbetweeners rubbish

Jockice

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 04, 2019, 05:37:19 PM
What annoyed me about that is that Simon has always been shown to be the needy, full-on, stalker type - and they went back to that in The Festival, which was basically a film about Simon graduating uni. But for some reason in The Inbetweeners 2 they decided to make him a normal blahddy lad's lad, bantering about how awful his girlfriend is.

Joe Thomas is really funny as that pathetic needy character, too. My biggest laugh in The Festival was him on stage at graduation trying to talk to Hannah Tointon.

Also there's a bit in The Inbetweeners 2 where Jay tells some men that Simon is a paedophile, so they try to drown him, which, haha? Apart from that and the pool bit I love it though.

I think there was enough of his original character in it though. The needy stalker type can soon find out that actually having a girlfriend isn't all they thought it was. Er...so I've heard.

Utter Shit

Is Joe Thomas actually playing Simon in The Festival? Or is the character just so similar that you sort of pretend it is Simon?

BritishHobo

He's not, it is a separate thing where he's a different character - but I always call him Simon in it because the film really feels like it started as an Inbetweeners 3, picking up with Simon graduating.

Captain Z

And Joe Thomas in Fresh Meat was basically Simon at university.

Ornlu

Are we quite sure Joe Thomas is a good actor?

Jockice

Quote from: Ornlu on January 04, 2019, 08:52:24 PM

I think he's found his niche.

Custard

He's pretty good in White Gold. But he is playing the same character again

I could see a third film working if it was based around one of them getting married. Imagine the hilarious hi-jinks the now 45 year old lads would get up to!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

No. He plays the same character every fucking time, basically ( which you could argue was all that Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmonson ever did, to be fair ).

Jockice

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 04, 2019, 11:00:02 PM
No. He plays the same character every fucking time, basically ( which you could argue was all that Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmonson ever did, to be fair ).

I'm not an Edmondson fan but he was great in Strike.

Enzo

The plot description on The Festival wikipedia page is a belter https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Festival_(film)

QuoteNick had broke up with his girlfriend, Caitlin right after graduation. His friend, Shane brougt him over to Giant Music Festival so he can get over her. On their journey to the festival by train, Shane tries to cheat the system by purchasing a child ticket, they then meet their new friend Amy the non stop talkative Australian lady much years their senior who made her journey to the festival for nine consecutive years. But the trick they setup failed to distract the ticketing officer thus get kicked out from the train.

By walking to the event they finally arrived. Unfortunately they meet Caitlin and the other college mate at the event. With Nick try to win her back but she shows no sign of impression at all. After having snuck out of the tent and surprising Caitlin and her sleeping partner, Pirate. Shane and Nick got kicked out from the group camping site and reunite with Amy.

Shane who adored DJ Hammerhead is willing to meet and greet him backstage

St_Eddie

I'm not even sure that he's a real human.

Skin looks a little fake, if you know what I mean?

Prototype terminator cunt.

magval

https://youtu.be/_64k-rBCtek

James Buckley's done a podcast about what went wrong. Skip to 48 minutes in.

The Bumlord

Quote from: magval on January 29, 2019, 04:50:11 PM

Ah, he's a good bloke innee

bgmnts

Feel bad for Buckley there.

Just realised though, is the Inbetweeners carrying on the legacy of the lad humour of the early 90s?

As much as I liked the first series of The Inbetweeners, and as much as it definitely mocks lad culture; like the pub landlord Al Murray character i'd hazard a guess that the main audience for it are the people and culture it subtly mocks. Although maybe replace lad with bants for the modern age.

Maybe i'm thinking too much about a daft sitcom with four weird kids. I don't know.

Anyway, seems it was Jimmy Carr being a cunt so nae bother James.

Jockice

Quote from: magval on January 29, 2019, 04:50:11 PM

That's unlistenable. They could at least have turned the mics on before recording it.

up_the_hampipe

I liked him really ripping into LAD Bible. Seems like a cool guy, just a very sensitive soul. Too hard on himself, too easy on Jimmy Carr.

paruses

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 30, 2019, 09:39:12 AM
I liked him really ripping into LAD Bible. Seems like a cool guy, just a very sensitive soul. Too hard on himself, too easy on Jimmy Carr.

Thought the same. JC does have a massive bank of comebacks but he's never struck me as being overly quick off-the-cuff or a naturally funny person.

Like James Buckley a lot after seeing that. I think deep down I always suspected he as my favourite of the four.

Was pleased how shit he thought the Simon-in-a-suitcase bit was.