Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:51:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious things someone else has failed to realize

Started by Dex Sawash, January 02, 2019, 12:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Guy at work said he watched the doc film American Meme. Pronounced it "me-me"
I'm guessing they used the word meme in that film a lot but it didn't sink in.

Nowhere Man

Last year I did a bit of sidework as a kitchen porter working alongside another guy, the Complete Madness comp was playing on the speakers and I asked him he was a fan. (he was about 40-ish)

He replied "i'm not a fan of all the new chart music" completely serious.

Hmm

Bazooka

Someone asked me if Japan was attached to China the other day, even if your geography is bad, this one flummoxed me.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Nowhere Man on January 02, 2019, 12:48:05 AM
Last year I did a bit of sidework as a kitchen porter working alongside another guy, the Complete Madness comp was playing on the speakers and I asked him he was a fan. (he was about 40-ish)

Hmm

He's just not into pop. Give him a break. Speaking as an ex-kitchen porter from the early eighties, these ghostly figures are always present.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GebKDlGR4s

Just for you NM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7veSjyi8HhY

madhair60

Hmm

Clanger. Madness' third album is called 'The New Chart Music' and was widely panned.

petril

Hmm

he is truly one of Yesterday's Men

DrGreggles

A contractor who shares our office has just realised that he doesn't work here any more.
His contract expired on 31/12/18.

Bazooka

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 02, 2019, 09:58:23 AM
A contractor who shares our office has just realised that he doesn't work here any more.
His contract expired on 31/12/18.

Happy new year desolation!

DrGreggles

He'll be fine. He's always telling us how much more than us he's paid. Obviously reading contract durations isn't his strong point!

Paul Calf

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 02, 2019, 01:12:49 PM
He'll be fine. He's always telling us how much more than us he's paid.

What a cock. If there was a book called "How To Be A Contractor," not doing this would be on page 1.

Lordofthefiles

When the Iceland advert "controversy" was going on my sister-in-law was getting ever so upset about it and telling everyone how disgusting it was.
When someone asked her what palm oil actually was, she announced in all seriousness that "they are catching orangutans and cutting their hands off" - on further investigation she actually thought "they" were milking some kind of gland in the palm of the ginger beasts' mit.
This woman is an NHS nurse and mother to three children!

willpurry

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on January 02, 2019, 01:51:25 PM
When the Iceland advert "controversy" was going on my sister-in-law was getting ever so upset about it and telling everyone how disgusting it was.
When someone asked her what palm oil actually was, she announced in all seriousness that "they are catching orangutans and cutting their hands off" - on further investigation she actually thought "they" were milking some kind of gland in the palm of the ginger beasts' mit.
This woman is an NHS nurse and mother to three children!

Well they cut the bollocks off fish to make scampi.

popcorn

Pancake day, years ago.

ME: Let's make some pancakes.
HOUSEMATE A: I'm up for it.
HOUSEMATE B: But we don't have any batter.
ME: Let's go to Tesco. Have we got eggs?
A: What else do we need, milk? Butter?
B: We don't have any batter, though.
ME: We'll make it fresh. Eggs, butter, milk, flour? Simple, let's go.
A: OK!
B: But we don't have any batter.

Eventually we realised that B believed batter was a sort of independent base ingredient you just bought like butter or milk, not something you could easily make from other ingredients.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 02, 2019, 12:30:46 AM
Guy at work said he watched the doc film American Meme. Pronounced it "me-me"
I'm guessing they used the word meme in that film a lot but it didn't sink in.

Aunt Me-me?

Replies From View

Quote from: popcorn on January 02, 2019, 05:09:35 PM
Pancake day, years ago.

ME: Let's make some pancakes.
HOUSEMATE A: I'm up for it.
HOUSEMATE B: But we don't have any batter.
ME: Let's go to Tesco. Have we got eggs?
A: What else do we need, milk? Butter?
B: We don't have any batter, though.
ME: We'll make it fresh. Eggs, butter, milk, flour? Simple, let's go.
A: OK!
B: But we don't have any batter.

Eventually we realised that B believed batter was a sort of independent base ingredient you just bought like butter or milk, not something you could easily make from other ingredients.

While you were listing things to buy at the supermarket, why didn't their error make them say "We also need to buy batter" rather than state it as an apparent obstacle to making pancakes?

"We don't have any batter, though" sounds like "Well we can't buy any batter so why are you planning this?" 

It just makes no sense unless you assume they had a further confusion about what pancakes are.  "Fuck this guys I don't want to wrestle a cheetah today, cheers.  We don't have any batter and nor does the shop."

popcorn

Quote from: Replies From View on January 02, 2019, 07:07:34 PM
While you were listing things to buy at the supermarket, why didn't their error make them say "We also need to buy batter" rather than state it as an apparent obstacle to making pancakes?

This is an excellent point and to be honest he might have said that too.

What an extraordinary scene it was!

Dex Sawash

Aren't pancakes made with fanny batter?

off to the other thread now

DrGreggles

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 02, 2019, 10:22:04 PM
Aren't pancakes made with fanny batter?

For years Sepp Blatter's Wikipedia page said that his wife was called Fanny.

Bently Sheds

Work colleague: "I've only just realised HMV stands for His Master's Voice!"

Mate, you're old enough to remember when His Master's Voice were putting out wax cylinders of "The Best of Thomas Edison" and you're only figuring this out now??

Replies From View

There are people on this earth who sincerely reckon that the Lord of the Rings movies are not interminable dreich.

I don't understand the hatred or astonishment in this thread. If you haven't heard of something, you haven't heard of it - why the big fuss?

This has happened to me on several occasions with music, once with Forever Young by Alphaville and Don't Stop Believing by Journey. Now, I was a teenager in the 1980's and Top of the Tops was watched religiously but for some reason these two songs passed me by. I most probably heard them at some point but them just didn't register. If it was a choice between Gloria Estefan bouncing about in leather trousers or some greasy rockers. Me being a spotty, hormonal teenager, it's the exotic sexy lady everyday of the week.

I used to work with a guy, who if you hadn't heard of anything, would go into an over the top drama. His chin would recede into his neck to the point it looked like it would hurt and his brow would furrow and shout "EH? YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF THIS?" etc.

Depressed Beyond Tables

The fact that General Bullshit is turning into Snake Oil 'R' Us.

Replies From View

Quote from: Special K on January 03, 2019, 02:09:28 PM
I used to work with a guy, who if you hadn't heard of anything, would go into an over the top drama. His chin would recede into his neck to the point it looked like it would hurt and his brow would furrow and shout "EH? YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF THIS?" etc.

You should have seen the Vic and Bob's Big Night Out thread when it turned out a handful of us had never heard of Semlin Greecht or whichever new random dirge of pop music was inexplicably in one of the episodes.

There was the assumption that we must have heard of him - it's unbelievable that we wouldn't have - and were pretending otherwise in order to be cool.

Replies From View

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on January 03, 2019, 02:13:10 PM
The fact that General Bullshit is turning into Snake Oil 'R' Us.

Who hasn't realised this?  You have to state it with your mouth.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Special K on January 03, 2019, 02:09:28 PM
I don't understand the hatred or astonishment in this thread. If you haven't heard of something, you haven't heard of it - why the big fuss?

This has happened to me on several occasions with music, once with Forever Young by Alphaville and Don't Stop Believing by Journey. Now, I was a teenager in the 1980's and Top of the Tops was watched religiously but for some reason these two songs passed me by. I most probably heard them at some point but them just didn't register. If it was a choice between Gloria Estefan bouncing about in leather trousers or some greasy rockers. Me being a spotty, hormonal teenager, it's the exotic sexy lady everyday of the week.

I think both these songs passed into popular culture long after they we released and were a lot more popular in USA. Forever Young only scraped into the top 100 in the UK and DSB would have sounded pretty tired and uninteresting to a teenager in 1982 amongst all the UK new wave etc.

Cerys

Quote from: Bently Sheds on January 03, 2019, 12:44:04 PM
Work colleague: "I've only just realised HMV stands for His Master's Voice!"

Mate, you're old enough to remember when His Master's Voice were putting out wax cylinders of "The Best of Thomas Edison" and you're only figuring this out now??

Just wait until he realises that the dog is sitting on His Master's Coffin.  He'll shit brix.

koeman

Quote from: madhair60 on January 02, 2019, 08:46:33 AM
Clanger. Madness' third album is called 'The New Chart Music' and was widely panned.

I checked to see if this was true.

jobotic

I don't know what Forever Young is. And Don't Stop Believing only slid into view a few years ago for me. Was it in a film or advert or something.

There are loads of chart songs that I should be old enough to remember but don't. I never listened to music radio much unless it was for a particular reason.

I do remember Japanese Boy though. So do you, you just pretend not to to seem cool.

Replies From View

Quote from: jobotic on January 03, 2019, 02:40:44 PM
I don't know what Forever Young is.

Wasn't it a film with Des Lynam or Les Dawson or somebody along those lines?

I saw it as a kid - I think the protagonist ends up with an aging disease and basically gets old and goes dead.