Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:04:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious things someone else has failed to realize

Started by Dex Sawash, January 02, 2019, 12:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 06, 2019, 10:16:52 PM
But it was an unintentional one and led to him reverting to his real name when people starting to wrongly think it stood for 'rapey cock' - which isn't even a phrase..
Ray Peacock was the name of a character he played which he then just carried on using as a stage name.

Yes, he's said a few times in various podcasts that a little smirk about rape isn't his sense of humour, and claims that he was horrified that anyone thought he was consciously associating with something like that.  He's blocked people on Twitter for bringing it up, as well.

Reverting to his real name was the best response, but I don't know why that took so long to happen.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Replies From View on January 07, 2019, 08:11:38 AM
Reverting to his real name was the best response, but I don't know why that took so long to happen.

He had the double act with Ed at the time, so it wouldn't have just been changing his name.
I assume it took so long because 'Ray Peacock' was an established name. Once he stopped performing live it was easier to change it back without losing work.

Replies From View

Quote from: Darles Chickens on January 07, 2019, 10:03:50 AM
Drew Peacock would've been better.

I couldn't remember who to credit for this gag, which is why I left it out of my post; was it one of his show's guests?

pigamus

Just looked up Forever Young on YouTube. Never heard it before in me life - and I'm a big 80s geek n'all.

Cuellar

So it's not the Bob Dylan song then? That's what I'd always assumed it was when people bang on about it (never heard anyone bang on about it).

Quote from: Replies From View on January 07, 2019, 12:24:38 PM
I couldn't remember who to credit for this gag, which is why I left it out of my post; was it one of his show's guests?

I actually remember joking about this at work as the father was part of the same professional body as myself and my colleagues.

A Bedford couple named their baby son Drew Peacock before realising that it sounded quite rude.

The baby's father, Russell, said he only twigged it when he put it in an Internet search engine looking for famous namesakes, and was asked: "Do you mean Droopy C**k?"

"It was as if I'd been smacked with a right hook. I started repeating 'Drew Peacock' over and over again. Then I thought - what have we done? I went numb and couldn't speak for two minutes. Then I couldn't stop laughing."

Mother Shetal Patel had also failed to spot their error despite being a registrar's assistant...

studpuppet

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on January 07, 2019, 12:57:44 PM
I actually remember joking about this at work as the father was part of the same professional body as myself and my colleagues.

A Bedford couple named their baby son Drew Peacock before realising that it sounded quite rude.

The baby's father, Russell, said he only twigged it when he put it in an Internet search engine looking for famous namesakes, and was asked: "Do you mean Droopy C**k?"

"It was as if I'd been smacked with a right hook. I started repeating 'Drew Peacock' over and over again. Then I thought - what have we done? I went numb and couldn't speak for two minutes. Then I couldn't stop laughing."

Mother Shetal Patel had also failed to spot their error despite being a registrar's assistant...

They ended up naming him Chris instead.

Mister Six

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 04, 2019, 09:53:27 AM
I just now realized the link between hands and palm oil but that's one for the other thread.

Oh, as in the palm of a hand? Me too. Jesus.

kalowski

Email addresses are not case sensitive. I hate it when someone gives me their email "It's John dot Thompson, that's capital J..."

St_Eddie

Quote from: kalowski on January 15, 2019, 09:05:43 PM
Email addresses are not case sensitive. I hate it when someone gives me their email "It's John dot Thompson, that's capital J..."

This is now an 0bvious thing which I have just realised been told.  Ta.

Cerys

Did you mean to write 'obvious' with a '0' there?  Because you wrote 'obvious' with a '0'.  You did, you know.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cerys on January 16, 2019, 01:17:26 AM
Did you mean to write 'obvious' with a '0' there?  Because you wrote 'obvious' with a '0'.  You did, you know.

I know.  It was a reference to the '0bvious things you've only just realised (2019 edition)' thread.  I made that reference to a separate thread because I like to keep you all on your toes and not because I'm some kind of idiot and confused that thread with this thread when I made said reference. 

*C0ugh*

Cerys

I don't believe you.  I think the fact that you used a '0' is an obvious thing that you've only just realised.

St_Eddie

Avril Lavigne

For what it's worth, I assumed the 0 was a reference to that thread before Eddie explained as much.

St_Eddie

Haha!  You see, Cerys!  Told ya.

Psst!  Avril, I'll pay you that tenner later.  Cheers.

Cerys

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cerys on January 16, 2019, 02:15:28 AM
l don't believe you.

You also don't believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.  Shows what you know.

Cerys

Icehaven

It's probably just age-related failure to grasp new technology but some people who are quite capable of using the internet on various devices still struggle with how Wi-Fi works and the difference between it and mobile data. Both my and Mr. H's mothers (and his is only 59) occasionally complain that the internet isn't working on their phones when they're out and about, and it turns out it's because all they've done is switch the Wi-Fi on and not actually connected to any. Then trying get them to see that using data is (on their plans anyway) finite and/or uses credit in a way that Wi-Fi doesn't is another effort entirely. I helped his Mum connect to the Wi-Fi in a pub for about the 4th time a few weeks ago and she was acting as if we'd never done it before.

I've said it before here but it's one of the things that most scares me when thinking about ageing, getting left behind in an increasingly confusing world and feeling I'm missing out on what new technology has to offer because my decaying brain just can't grasp how it works. I hope because I'm of a generation that (just about) grew up used to adopting new gadgets and rapid change and so on that our brains are wired to accept new concepts more readily even when older but that might be being a bit optimistic (as well as betraying a gross ignorance of neuroscience). 

St_Eddie

Quote from: icehaven on January 16, 2019, 02:10:38 PM
...that might be being a bit optimistic (as well as betraying a gross ignorance of neuroscience).

Yep.  I'm 36 and already I'm baffled and confused by a lot of new technology.  As a kid, I was the total whizz, changing from EMS to XMS memory, creating boot disks and making my own levels for my favourite videogames.  Now I'm scared and confused by the likes of Facebook and Skype.  It's only going to get worse from here on out.

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 16, 2019, 05:43:04 PM
Yep.  I'm 36 and already I'm baffled and confused by a lot of new technology.  As a kid, I was the total whizz, changing from EMS to XMS memory, creating boot disks and making my own levels for my favourite videogames.  Now I'm scared and confused by the likes of Facebook and Skype.  It's only going to get worse from here on out.

Same here; well I'm 39 but the same situation.  GW BASIC, Q BASIC then boy oh boy along came Klik and Play.

flotemysost

I used to work on the student mag when I was at uni, and someone wrote a piece about blogs. It stated that the word 'blog' is short for weblog (as in, 'we blog!').

Now, even if you couldn't work out the fact that weblog means, well, a log that's on the web, it still wouldn't make any sense for the term blog to have originated that way, it would be like saying that the word scythe comes from people saying 'we scythe' or something.

I wonder where the author of that piece is now. Probably working in advertising or PR.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on January 16, 2019, 06:04:30 PM
Same here; well I'm 39 but the same situation.  GW BASIC, Q BASIC then boy oh boy along came Klik and Play.

Klik and Play iz 4 noobz. lolz.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: icehaven on January 16, 2019, 02:10:38 PM
one of the things that most scares me when thinking about ageing, getting left behind in an increasingly confusing world and feeling I'm missing out on what new technology has to offer because my decaying brain just can't grasp how it works.

Consumer technology has plateaued for almost a decade now - which is nice. One might argue that usability is declining though, what with the disappearance of the 3.5 jack from supposedly 'flagship' mobile devices, not to mention the evaporation of the 'right to tinker' on everything from tractors to TVs.

The brain decay is real, though. Eight years ago I was a Linux guru, whereas last week I had to admit defeat trying to help my wife get her work laptop to play nicely with our home Wifi. She was less than happy with my 10 metres of Cat5 solution - but bollocks to it. If it matters that much to her, she'll sort it out herself.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

That "realize" is a ghastly Americanism, and the correct spelling is, of course, "realise".

sprocket

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on January 16, 2019, 11:39:00 PM
That "realize" is a ghastly Americanism, and the correct spelling is, of course, "realise".

Dex Sawash may be Americanist, but he's only slightly ghastly.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on January 16, 2019, 11:39:00 PM

I don't think that you just realised/realized this.  I don't think that you just realized/realised this at all.