Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:21:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious things someone else has failed to realize

Started by Dex Sawash, January 02, 2019, 12:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 17, 2019, 06:06:20 AM
I don't think that you just realised/realized this.  I don't think that you just realized/realised this at all.

Ahhhh, but I did

Replies From View

Quote from: flotemysost on January 16, 2019, 08:16:06 PM
I used to work on the student mag when I was at uni, and someone wrote a piece about blogs. It stated that the word 'blog' is short for weblog (as in, 'we blog!').

Now, even if you couldn't work out the fact that weblog means, well, a log that's on the web, it still wouldn't make any sense for the term blog to have originated that way, it would be like saying that the word scythe comes from people saying 'we scythe' or something.

I wonder where the author of that piece is now. Probably working in advertising or PR.

Were they joking by any chance?

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 17, 2019, 06:06:20 AM
I don't think that you just realised/realized this.  I don't think that you just realized/realised this at all.

The thread is about someone else.

St_Eddie

This chap (me) don't gets it.

This chap (me) be thick.

This chap (me) have chapped lip.

flotemysost

Quote from: Replies From View on January 17, 2019, 12:16:27 PM
Were they joking by any chance?

I doubt it was that self-aware - more likely someone who'd heard that starting a blog is a good thing to whack on your CV if you're thinking of getting into a media career (which it possibly still was circa 2009) and had therefore decided that writing an article about blogs was good start, and hastily Googled a few facts.

Of course the joke's on me as I've remembered that detail all these years later and here I am posting on a forum about it, greater longevity than anything I've written has ever gained.