Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:07:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2019 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 02, 2019, 08:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Blumf on August 16, 2019, 09:43:58 AM
It is truly a weird film. Were they aiming for something like the early comic strips?

Apparently so, yeah, which explains why Popeye doesn't even like spinach in the film, and it's quite odd sense of humour.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 16, 2019, 11:08:11 AM
I've been meaning to watch Popeye. It's just a case of a studio letting Robert Altman do it and expecting it to be somehow normal isn't it?

Pretty much, yeah, mixed with Robin Williams fondness for ad-libbing.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 16, 2019, 10:56:29 AM
I think that is the only Robin Williams film I like. He usually just seems to me like the only guy in the room who has any cocaine.

edit- wait, isn't he in Hook too? I like that a lot.

He is in Hook, yeah, a film I never had much time for upon it's release but maybe it's time I gave it a second chance.

zomgmouse

Black Robe. Australian-Canadian co-production about some Jesuit priests in 17th-century Canada. It's pretty much what you'd expect, unsurprisingly parochial in how it depicts indigenous Canadian people and their reactions towards the priests trying to convert them. Which is a shame cause it's made quite well, it looks very good in terms of how it's shot and the production design, and there's a couple of great sequences in it.

sevendaughters

Man on the Moon - you've all seen it, solid Kaufman biog enhanced by a huge poster of Oh, God! in Danny Devito's office.

Khrustalyov, My Car! - tar black satire and inspiration for Death of Stalin. artfully made and intelligent, but often baffling and a scene near the 2hr mark was gruesome against the mostly-comedy that had preceded it.

Gulftastic

Ant Man & The Wasp. Now I know why he was stuck in that van in Endgame.

Not bad for a Marvel 'filler' film. Liked the comedy banter between Scott's mates and the villains.

sevendaughters

Pickpocket - having a trawl through Bresson, great stuff!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 16, 2019, 10:56:29 AM
I think that is the only Robin Williams film I like. He usually just seems to me like the only guy in the room who has any cocaine.

He's not like that in the many serious dramas he starred in. For obvious reasons.

I'm actually struggling to think of a film, apart from Good Morning Vietnam, in which he was given free rein to do his wild and crazy Robin Williams thing. He's quite subdued in most of his films, isn't he?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Thank you for reminding me of Altman's Popeye, SMBH, it's a film I've been meaning to revisit for years. It was one of the first films I ever saw at the cinema - I was six at the time - and it sort of disturbed and perplexed me. My memories of it are vague, obviously, but it's definitely not a film aimed at young kids.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 19, 2019, 05:23:50 PM
He's not like that in the many serious dramas he starred in. For obvious reasons.

I'm actually struggling to think of a film, apart from Good Morning Vietnam, in which he was given free rein to do his wild and crazy Robin Williams thing. He's quite subdued in most of his films, isn't he?

Aladdin was the notable one, though of course we don't actually get to see it. And, um, maybe Mrs Doubtfire? Though it's been decades since I last saw it so could very well be wrong.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 19, 2019, 05:41:12 PM
Thank you for reminding me of Altman's Popeye, SMBH, it's a film I've been meaning to revisit for years. It was one of the first films I ever saw at the cinema - I was six at the time - and it sort of disturbed and perplexed me. My memories of it are vague, obviously, but it's definitely not a film aimed at young kids.

Yeah, I imagine kids would be quite perplexed by it all, but as an adult I enjoyed it a fair bit and I hope you do too.

zomgmouse

He's terrific in The World According to Garp.

phantom_power

And He Needs Me is a great song, re-used well in Punch Drunk Love

greenman

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 19, 2019, 05:23:50 PM

Baron Munchausen? still though its a role with limited screen time and works very well IMHO.

Small Man Big Horse

R100 (2013) - A fucked up Japanese film where a man signs a contract with a strange business where dominatrix's will attack and hurt him at random times and places over the course of a year. He gets off on it at first but when the attacks start taking place at his work, home, and the hospital where his wife is in a coma he begins to regret it, only to discover there's no getting out of the contract, and then one of them dies in an accident insanity ensues. It's a perverse comedy drama, uncomfortable in places and very funny elsewhere, while the final half hour is bizarrely absurd in a very different way. Oh, and every so often there's some meta commentary from the ratings board who are trying to work out what rating to give the film (hence the title), just to make it crazier. I loved it personally, but I could understand why some might not. 8.0/10

I'd suggest only reading the spoilers if you have no interest in seeing the film by the way, as they do give away some of the more surprising aspects of the movie.

zomgmouse

Bad Education. Very good Almodóvar, full of twists and turns. Bernal is wonderful. Enjoyed this a lot.

Coriolanus (directed by Ralph Fiennes). I don't know what it is about Fiennes but I just don't like his presence. Also the first quarter or so of the play itself (the war bits) is really dull which doesn't help. But as a modernisation it works rather well and some nice choices with using television etc. I liked the rest of the acting and it looked pretty good (apart from the excessive handheld camera).

Sebastian Cobb

Cold Weather - nice indie mublecore noir/detective thriller, quite laid back and low key with good characters, well acted especially by Trieste Kelly Dunn.

Small Man Big Horse

Scabbard Samurai (2011) - From Hitoshi Matsumoto, the director of Symbol and R100, comes another unusual comedy where a samurai who deserts his post is sentenced to death unless he can make a young prince whose mother has died laugh. His thirty attempts are often unconventional to say the least, but all of them are made funny by the old man's relentless stubbornness and his deadpan look, while his wise beyond her years daughter generates a good few laughs as she brutally admonishes his efforts. 7.7/10

Blumf

Angel Egg (1985)
First saw this back in the 90s on late night ITV, not something they'd do these days, sadly. It's on Youtube now.

Well, apart from it depicting a world forsaken by God, I'm not entirely sure.

zomgmouse

The Heartbreak Kid. Script by Neil Simon, directed by Elaine May. Achingly funny and excruciating, some top lines and the performances are brilliant. Loved this a lot.

The Boys Next Door. Penelope Spheeris directs this, starring Charlie Sheen. Two angsty teen boys trapped in the prison of male expectations drive to LA and lash out at the world in a horrific crime spree. It's really rather good.

Eight Diagram Pole Fighter. Perhaps the most operatic martial arts film I've ever seen. The set pieces and choreography in this are just mind-boggling.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Blumf on August 23, 2019, 11:54:50 PM
Angel Egg (1985)
First saw this back in the 90s on late night ITV, not something they'd do these days, sadly. It's on Youtube now.

Well, apart from it depicting a world forsaken by God, I'm not entirely sure.

Saw this a month or two ago, thought it was incredibly atmospheric.

haven't seen the Heartbreak Kid in years , but I remember that its way ahead of its time in perfecting the 'comedy of awkwardness' about 10 years before King of Comedy and 20 years before Larry Sanders

Charles Grodin is the GOAT, literally one of the funniest cunts ever

brilliant ending as well, can't give it away but its supremely well done

Sin Agog

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 23, 2019, 11:58:02 PM
Saw this a month or two ago, thought it was incredibly atmospheric.

It's one of my favourite films, and it was only made because there was a mad, blind scramble to produce anime content for the west after Akira went big.  No way would a zec have funded something like that under any other circumstances.  Thank fuck they did. It's by the Ghost in the Shell dude, but Angel's Egg resonates with me a thousand times more.  It's so vast and quiet and laden with symbolism.  I like the unfathomable way Japan handles Christianity in its art.  Rather than the dreary Church of England droneathons we're all too familiar with, in things like Angel's Egg, Haibane Renmei and Love Exposure, it's depicted like some quaint and curious alien artifact.

Blumf

Quote from: Sin Agog on August 24, 2019, 12:18:15 AM
It's one of my favourite films, and it was only made because there was a mad, blind scramble to produce anime content for the west after Akira went big.

Errr, Angel's Egg was 3 years before the Akira film.

Still, Mamoru Oshii has turned out some brilliant films. Patlabor 2 is my favourite of his.

Sebastian Cobb

Last night I rewatched Play Misty for Me, which is enjoyably daft albeit a bit terrifying. Then I watched Cutter's Way, cheers to whoever it was that mentioned it in the Lebowski thread.

John Heard was good at playing the mental Cutter, but I thought Lisa Eichhorn did a smashing more low-key job as as his wistful alcoholic wife.

zomgmouse

Taking Tiger Mountain. Bizarre experimental reactionary work that may have a more interesting development history than the end product but still works quite well.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on August 24, 2019, 12:15:57 AM

Charles Grodin is the GOAT, literally one of the funniest cunts ever

Agree. He's the best thing in Clifford.

Trouble In Mind by Alan Rudolph

Outlaw film about outlaws and losers. Feels oddly unwedded to any particular discipline, which is to its credit. Love Keith Carradine's degeneration into some sort of sad 1980s rockabilly street tough. The sort of film where I liked everything about it but I'm left wondering why I didn't like it more. I guess none of scenes really hit that top level of inspiration

zomgmouse

The Killers (1946). Brilliant noir, ingenious flashback plot and a great ending. Some wonderful dialogue and performances. Pretty astounding that they took Hemingway's short story and expanded it with a completely new narrative. Absolute classic really.

The Ultimate Warrior. Yul Brynner stars as a strong man with a knife in post-apocalyptic New York and it's the usual story of warring factions (one of which is led by Max von Sydow) and miniscule hope. A couple of memorable moments but nothing extraordinary, though definitely one for the old "1970s sci-fi" thread.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 25, 2019, 03:13:25 PM
The Killers (1946). Brilliant noir, ingenious flashback plot and a great ending. Some wonderful dialogue and performances. Pretty astounding that they took Hemingway's short story and expanded it with a completely new narrative. Absolute classic really.

Watch the Don Siegel and Tarkovsky versions as well.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 25, 2019, 03:16:12 PM
Watch the Don Siegel and Tarkovsky versions as well.

The Siegel is on my list but I only found out about the Tarkovsky version today when looking up the 1946 one. Will have to track it down at some point.

Blumf

Petey Wheatstraw (1977)
After seeing the RLM review, had to give it a try. Really quiet good, and plenty bonkers. The review covers it fairly well, but I'll give G. Tito Shaw a note for a pretty great rendition of the devil.

Going to have to watch some more Rudy Ray Moore.