Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:07:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2019 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 02, 2019, 08:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Quote from: rjd2 on December 28, 2019, 03:28:28 AM
Dawson City Frozen Time

in 1978 533 silent films were recovered, including newsreels and features of all types from early 20th century silent films which were considered long gone about well Dawson city from its boom to ghosttown.

Trailer and film below. Its a little long but something i would advise to watch with no distractions, its stunning and soundtrack is gorgeous. Immersive to say the least. Its got 100% on RT and 85% on metacritic if unsure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEbHM8Vsvlo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEkfZrdQdik
It's a beaut, very much a mood piece that benefits from you focusing on it but it's a pretty easy watch imo. There's one piece of degraded film that's one of the most charming things I've ever seen in it.

Real shame the other bits I've seen by the guy have suffered from some atrocious scoring choices cos his editing skills are top notch.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on December 28, 2019, 02:39:42 AM
First 20-25 mins is the best bit, it doesn't get better

Thanks for that, I probably won't bother with it then. It's a shame as the first twenty minutes was fairly witty, what with the duo's terrible song writing attempts and them turning out to be rather pathetic when it comes to relationships, but all the farcical nonsense when they travel to Ishtar seemed misjudged and just not that funny.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 28, 2019, 12:20:28 AM
Just saw Looper, it was alright I thought.

Nothing I'd not really seen in things like Time Cop or owt. Predestination came out not long after and was better I reckon.

Watched this other night & had to track down a YouTube video to explain it afterwards. I did enjoy it though, Ethan Hawke is good, I liked him in Stockholm Syndrome too.

Small Man Big Horse

Tammy And The T-Rex (1994) - Very, very silly but fairly knowing low budget comedy where a mad scientist nicks a brain from a guy called Michael (Fast & Furious star / famous dead person Paul Walker) and puts it in his robot dinosaur. But his girlfriend Tammy (Denise Richards) finds out, and tries to help Michael return to some sort of human form, even though everyone's after the T-Rex. The mad scientist and his assistant are both really daft but often quite funny, as are some amusingly shit cops, and the rubbish gore made me laugh too, this was never going to be a hit so god knows how it got made, but it is fairly endearing stuff. 7.1/10

Puce Moment

Quote from: greenman on December 18, 2019, 07:05:25 PMFinally got around to watching Roma but I can't say it made much impact, especially relative to the similarly semi autobiographic B&W Khrustalyov, My Car!. Good looking certainly but rarely inspired like Germans film IMHO and honestly just comes across as very self obsessed cinema. Cleo the nanny barely existing as a character being more a kind of suffering noble savage really seems pretty morally questionable and provides little drive for the film that kind of fumbles along in uupper middle class nostalgia.

That's almost exactly my view of it - I have felt like the only person who reacted like this because it was so universally loved.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 29, 2019, 09:23:49 PM
Tammy And The T-Rex (1994) - Very, very silly but fairly knowing low budget comedy where a mad scientist nicks a brain from a guy called Michael (Fast & Furious star / famous dead person Paul Walker) and puts it in his robot dinosaur. But his girlfriend Tammy (Denise Richards) finds out, and tries to help Michael return to some sort of human form, even though everyone's after the T-Rex. The mad scientist and his assistant are both really daft but often quite funny, as are some amusingly shit cops, and the rubbish gore made me laugh too, this was never going to be a hit so god knows how it got made, but it is fairly endearing stuff. 7.1/10
This was originally done as an R rated movie with a bunch of gore in it, and they've started doing showings of the original uncut version - keep an eye out.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 30, 2019, 01:49:59 PM
This was originally done as an R rated movie with a bunch of gore in it, and they've started doing showings of the original uncut version - keep an eye out.

Though I didn't know about the two different versions at the time thankfully it was the gory version that I watched, it was only after seeing it that I read a couple of articles and heard about the film's unusual history.

MortSahlFan

La Terrazza (1980) - 9/10
Very original movie, excellent writing, themes, acting, exposition, narrative. This movie is a great critique of society. It's very original, and focuses in on a handful of men who are aging, and finding no happiness with the material world. Very good satire showing the phoniness with the younger generation, who are more interested in correcting brand names than the subject at hand itself. But it also shows the hypocrisy of one in particular, who produces garbage to make money, please the critics, and to please his much younger wife, who doesn't love him, because everyone ages, and eventually life beats a man, while she is not at the same stage in life.

chveik

I watched Clueless last night. surprisingly very fun.

Pink Gregory

Just finished Looking For Eric

Ace.  Always felt Ken Loach was a bit of a mountain to climb (I find it hard to deal with actual human drama, hence why I prefer poncey arty fillums) but maybe this is a way in? 

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 01, 2020, 04:17:49 PM
Just finished Looking For Eric

Ace.  Always felt Ken Loach was a bit of a mountain to climb (I find it hard to deal with actual human drama, hence why I prefer poncey arty fillums) but maybe this is a way in?

Good movie.. I think Ken Loach is the best director alive. I do like Mike Leigh and Aki Kaurismaki, but it looks like they are all retiring...