Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:33:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2019 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 02, 2019, 08:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Two sequels were commissioned when the first one did well - I assume (hope) the third is still happening, especially now it'll feature Academy Award Nominee Sally Hawkins.

magval

Quote from: DJ Solid Snail on January 05, 2019, 01:46:31 PM
Prince of Darkness... Loved it. Very weird, a bit messy, but absolutely oozing with style and atmosphere. A lot of set-pieces that might have been goofy in the hands of any other director were genuinely creepy and unnerving, probably helped by its wonderfully unsettling score. Good stuff.

I also saw this for the first time recently and it's got a handful of moments that will stick with me forever. Like you say, there's bits that wouldn't work elsewhere, like the typing onto the computer monitor. The croaking laughter from your man with the slashed neck is properly horrible too. I watched it twice through, I was so taken with it. Boss film.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 06, 2019, 01:31:34 AM
Paddington 2.

Just as lovely as the first one.

I know this is from the first one, but the one-two punch of the 'dogs must be carried/ stand on the left' gags is the best moment of comedy I've seen in years and years.

I watched '71 last night. A few dodgy accents aside I enjoyed it, though it wasn't quite the Gauntlet of Angry Catholics/ Warriors-pastiche I was expecting.

Also watched Bird Box which was an entirely surface-level film for me save one brilliant suggestion that Sandra's character had already made an awful, awful decision that she then backed out on which added a touch of REAL horror to the film, seeing as it's lacking in that department as far as the threat level is concerned.

JesusAndYourBush

In the Star Trek film on TV last night, "Star Trek Into Darkness", how did Spock manage to speak with himself from the future?  Since when has a "time phone " been a thing in Star Trek??  (Oh and the Scottish and Russian accents were risible, I thought I was watching a comedy for a minute!)

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 06, 2019, 06:20:35 PM
In the Star Trek film on TV last night, "Star Trek Into Darkness", how did Spock manage to speak with himself from the future?  Since when has a "time phone " been a thing in Star Trek??  (Oh and the Scottish and Russian accents were risible, I thought I was watching a comedy for a minute!)

"My Scotty won't just be bumbling comic relief."  Yeah, alright Si, whatever you say...

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 06, 2019, 06:23:54 PM
"My Scotty won't just be bumbling comic relief."  Yeah, alright Si, whatever you say...

He's done that Nicholas Lindhurst thing of pretending to have grown up and taken on more serious roles, but really they're just doing usual mediocre-serious or mediocre comedy roles while taking themselves too seriously.

Shit Good Nose

Hector and the Search For Happiness is the only properly decent thing he's done in recent memory, in my opinion, and he is genuinely good in it - proper acting.

Of course, only about three people have seen it.

...Paul was okay I guess.

Mister Six

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 06, 2019, 06:20:35 PM
In the Star Trek film on TV last night, "Star Trek Into Darkness", how did Spock manage to speak with himself from the future?  Since when has a "time phone " been a thing in Star Trek??

He didn't. In the film before it, future Spock got stuck in the past. It's just a regular phone.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Mister Six on January 06, 2019, 06:39:05 PM
He didn't. In the film before it, future Spock got stuck in the past. It's just a regular phone.

Ah, that would have been my guess.  (I didn't see the previous film.)

St_Eddie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 05, 2019, 02:25:52 PM
The 9th Configuration...

FUN FACT: That blokey who is that character in The 9th Configuration, in that film, there.  Well, his soul was captured eternal, good and proper, with technology, like.  You know the one?  Well, that's the same character from The Exorcist.  Remember when she said "you're going to die up there"?  That was a little knowing nod from your man, William Peter Blatty, so it was.  "Die up there".  Space, innit?

JesusAndYourBush

Bridesmaids on ITV a little while ago.  It went a whole hour before showing a commercial break which is bloody inconsiderate.  We don't all have cast iron bladders, some of us use the ad breaks for pissing, getting snacks, getting a drink etc.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 06, 2019, 11:50:56 PM
The Man Who Fell to Earth.

I've seen that film half a dozen times since the mid 80's and every time I see it I understand it less than the previous time.

SteveDave

zomgmouse

Quote from: Mister Six on January 06, 2019, 04:51:17 AM
once the gunfire starts he completely fucks up spatial awareness, so there's no sense of where anyone is in relation to anyone else, and consequently how much in danger any character is at any given moment.

I'm pretty sure that was the point, to completely disorient you in a way similar to what the characters themselves would have been experiencing.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 07, 2019, 02:18:57 AM
Bridesmaids on ITV a little while ago.  It went a whole hour before showing a commercial break which is bloody inconsiderate.  We don't all have cast iron bladders, some of us use the ad breaks for pissing, getting snacks, getting a drink etc.

I've seen that film half a dozen times since the mid 80's and every time I see it I understand it less than the previous time.

I felt like I stopped paying attention briefly after he fucked off into the desert and missed something but don't think I did.

gilbertharding

Got a Powell and Pressburger box set for xmas, so finally watched A Canterbury Tale last week. It's a bit odd... worth watching for lots of reasons including the scenery, but the conclusion that everyone gets some kind of redemption or a miracle by travelling to the Cathedral is fine until you question the fact that The Glue Man is forgiven. Surely it's not just my modern sensibilities which find that a terrible idea?

Sin Agog

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 08, 2019, 02:45:34 PM
Got a Powell and Pressburger box set for xmas, so finally watched A Canterbury Tale last week. It's a bit odd... worth watching for lots of reasons including the scenery, but the conclusion that everyone gets some kind of redemption or a miracle by travelling to the Cathedral is fine until you question the fact that The Glue Man is forgiven. Surely it's not just my modern sensibilities which find that a terrible idea?

I think it was the movie just trying to remind us that this is all about as serious as a Famous Five mystery, even though in the country people might enjoy pretending for a bit of diversion.

If that's the same boxset I had, let me know what you think of They're a Weird Mob! It's such a strange end to such an ostentatious collaborative career*- a sort of travelganda film funded by Australia to try to convince people to emigrate there.  Has a sort of laid-back charm, though it really doesn't feel Powelly at all.  Or even like a real film.

*well, they did do that weird half-hour children's tv thing a few years later about everyone turning yellow.

Mister Six

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 07, 2019, 10:48:39 AM
I'm pretty sure that was the point, to completely disorient you in a way similar to what the characters themselves would have been experiencing.

But they would have become aware of where they all were in relation to each other in the talky bits, especially in the scene where they do a roll-call of who's not been killed yet.

If it's a directorial choice it's a spectacularly stupid one. If it's an oversight it's also spectacularly stupid.

Ferris

The Bourne Identity.

Never seen it before but it was great.

Dex Sawash

Should follow up with Three Days of the Condor^

lebowskibukowski

Trainspotting T2. Probably coming at it from a biased angle because I thought the first one was hugely over-rated anyway, but every aspect of it missed the target, with plots and characters just shoehorned in. Plus I don't care much for the forehead of Jonny Lee Miller.

Small Man Big Horse

Cabin Boy (1994) - Uneven effort from Chris Elliot which suffers from nearly all of the characters being unsympathetic, at least until towards the end. A fair amount of the jokes misfire too, though there are parts which I enjoyed, and seeing Russ Tamblyn as a half shark half man type creature was a highlight. 5.4/10

Tumbbad (2018) - Fun Bollywood fantasy horror where a mysteriously undying grandmother tells her grandson how to find treasure, but it comes with a catch. It suffers from pacing issues around the hour mark but the ending satisfies, even if it's a little slight as a whole. 7.3/10

One Cut Of The Dead (2017) - What initially seems to be a fairly meta zombie flick where a director is filming a low budget zombie horror when they're attacked by real zombies is actually a daft comedy and essentially The Zombie Horror Movie That Goes Wrong". It sags a little after the initial reveal that all is not as it seems but the final thirty minutes are a delight and packed with laughs. 7.8/10

Ferris

The first 10 minutes of the Han Solo film. Turned it off. Awful.

Logan Lucky.

Channing Tatum is very likeable isn't he? Seth MacFarlane (yeah, him from Family Guy) has a role as an Englishman and graces us with the worst accent I've heard in a major film since Dick van Dyke. I thought it would be ironic or a joke, but it's played straight and is fucking atrocious - he's from Essex twinned with Canberra. Why is he in this? No English people available? Fucks sake.

Anyway, the rest of it is good.

Edit: just remembered what yer man Seth's accent and performance reminded me of - Jack Black doing his knowingly hacky Beatles impression as a cameo in Dewey Cox. It was that bad. Not to keep going on about it. It doesn't help that I cannot stand Seth MacFarlane, of course.

Sin Agog

Watched most of John Carpenter's first movie Dark Star earlier.  I dialled out at the alien/beach ball painted like a giant pumpkin bit, but after thinking it over I don't see why an alien's any more likely to look like ET than a pumpkin beach ball.  Will finish later.

greenman

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 12, 2019, 01:29:47 AM
The first 10 minutes of the Han Solo film. Turned it off. Awful.

To be fair it does get better after that, maybe not actively good but less prequelishly wooden.

Blumf

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 12, 2019, 01:36:46 AM
Watched most of John Carpenter's first movie Dark Star earlier.  I dialled out at the alien/beach ball painted like a giant pumpkin bit, but after thinking it over I don't see why an alien's any more likely to look like ET than a pumpkin beach ball.  Will finish later.

Aw come on! The alien thing isn't that bad, it's all part of the joke. The final, with it's philosophical discussion, is well worth it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on January 06, 2019, 05:49:32 AM
Two sequels were commissioned when the first one did well - I assume (hope) the third is still happening, especially now it'll feature Academy Award Nominee Sally Hawkins.

The third is still happening apparently, but rather disappointingly Paul King probably isn't going to be directing it (his choice it seems) which concerns. https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/lifestyle/a24734159/paddington-3-new-writer/

Sin Agog

Quote from: Blumf on January 12, 2019, 11:04:30 AM
Aw come on! The alien thing isn't that bad, it's all part of the joke. The final, with it's philosophical discussion, is well worth it.

No, I agree with you now.  I think I went in expecting a slightly more low rent 2001, which was stupid. I rewatched it last night from the beginning after mentally changing the title to The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers In Space and I totally got it this time.  Hilarious film.

Ferris

Quote from: greenman on January 12, 2019, 07:13:18 AM
To be fair it does get better after that, maybe not actively good but less prequelishly wooden.

It was so formulaic and dull. Big musical swells and brass crescendos that accompanied a low-speed chase around an industrial estate on-screen. "Winning" lines that weren't winning, and characters who kept explaining exactly who they were, how they felt, and what their motives were. There was even an idea lifted directly from Empire and I can't tell if it was a pastiche or just a useful way of getting out of a scene.

Storm troopers on motorbikes telling people to pull over. That's like having a war film where the nazis hand out parking tickets.

Han Solo was actually quite likeable. It was everything else that let him down.

greenman

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 12, 2019, 02:51:26 PM
It was so formulaic and dull. Big musical swells and brass crescendos that accompanied a low-speed chase around an industrial estate on-screen. "Winning" lines that weren't winning, and characters who kept explaining exactly who they were, how they felt, and what their motives were. There was even an idea lifted directly from Empire and I can't tell if it was a pastiche or just a useful way of getting out of a scene.

Storm troopers on motorbikes telling people to pull over. That's like having a war film where the nazis hand out parking tickets.

Han Solo was actually quite likeable. It was everything else that let him down.

Again not sure it was good enough for an active recommendation to watch the rest of it but I'd say it did get better after those opening scenes were Clarke especially seems to be channelling the prequels. I got the impression that whole section of the film had been quite heavily reworked/cut down with the switch to Howard as director.

Ferris

Quote from: greenman on January 12, 2019, 03:14:47 PM
Again not sure it was good enough for an active recommendation to watch the rest of it but I'd say it did get better after those opening scenes were Clarke especially seems to be channelling the prequels. I got the impression that whole section of the film had been quite heavily reworked/cut down with the switch to Howard as director.

Noted! I'm sure I'll end up watching it at some point, but it'll be a film on my iPad while I'm cooking rather than something I'll sit down to focus on.