Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:48:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2019 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 02, 2019, 08:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 11, 2019, 08:06:30 PM
I saw it years ago and have no memory of it whatsoever (except that it has Robert Mitchum). Must seek it out.

Same. I remember being "IS THAT IT? HAPPY NEW YEAR" with the ending for some reason.

Anyway, in the continuing Steve-Dave watches films from last year and puts them in this thread rather than starting a new one:

Overlord (2018)

I'm not sure how they made a film about Nazi super soldier experiments boring but they did it.

phantom_power

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - Another excellent Coen Brothers film. Has any director got such a good hit rate over such a long career? A bunch of really interesting, low key stories that run the gamut of Coen styles from arch post-modernism to gritty nihilism. I found the Zoe Kazan segment the most interesting but I was also intrigued by the Liam Neeson one. The acting throughout was great and if I had one criticism it would be that the ending to the Kazan one is a bit rushed but overall I can see why it got all the acclaim it did on release

St_Eddie

Quote from: phantom_power on February 12, 2019, 09:48:35 AM
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - Another excellent Coen Brothers film. Has any director got such a good hit rate over such a long career?

Kubrick.

phantom_power

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 12, 2019, 09:52:33 AM
Kubrick.

Hmmm, maybe I should have included number of films. Kubrick wasn't as prolific

Shit Good Nose

Kurosawa.

Even the (literally) one or two duds are half decent.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 11, 2019, 05:51:10 PM

I'm a big fan of Gregg Araki (and Anna Faris for that matter) and liked Smiley Face a lot, but it's without doubt Araki's most mainstream film.

It might be his most mainstream but from what I've heard it's among his most critically maligned...

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 12, 2019, 10:31:53 AM
It might be his most mainstream but from what I've heard it's among his most critically maligned...

That's true, though I've no idea why.

Dex Sawash

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - Another excellent Coen Brothers film. Has any director got such a good hit rate over such a long career? A bunch of really interesting, low key stories that run the gamut of Coen styles from arch post-modernism to gritty nihilism. I found the Zoe Kazan segment the most interesting but I was also intrigued by the Liam Neeson one. The acting throughout was great and if I had one criticism it would be that the ending to the Kazan one is a bit rushed but overall I can see why it got all the acclaim it did on release

There's a whole thread, might even still be on first page. Worth a read.
They had all the actors hornswoggled up to the point where I didn't recognize any of them but Ms. Cagney/Lacey

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on February 13, 2019, 01:55:55 AM
They had all the actors hornswoggled up to the point where I didn't recognize any of them but Ms. Cagney/Lacey

But surely we all clocked Finchy within about 2 seconds. In his funny hat. Bloody legend.

Custard

Red (2008)

"A reclusive man sets out for justice and redemption when three troublesome teens kill his dog for no good reason".

This was pretty good. More of a slow burning drama with bursts of violence, than a John Wick action-y revenge blowout.

Brian Cox is very good. Tom Sizemore isn't in it much, but yet his face is all over the poster. Kim Dickens is in it, and is as lovely as ever. The dog isn't in it long, but he should've won an Oscar for his portrayal of a now dead dog

3.5 buns

St_Eddie

Small Man Big Horse

Another excellent Coen Brothers film. Has any director got such a good hit rate over such a long career?

Sion Sono, there's the odd disappointment but the majority are amazing.

phantom_power

Quote from: Dex Sawash on February 13, 2019, 01:55:55 AM

It took me a while to work out it was James Franco

Oh, and it was a fucking rhetorical question

SteveDave

Widows

S'alright. Some very straight twists. The leads were very good though.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: SteveDave on February 14, 2019, 12:03:36 PM
Widows

S'alright. Some very straight twists. The leads were very good though.

I thought this was absolutely brilliant, myself, and easily Steve McQueen's best film since Hunger. Phenomenal stuff. I do like Steve McQueen a lot, though, even though he was responsible for Shame, which is one of the very worst films I have ever seen. But this was far from that. Masterful, altogether.

Glebe

Watched The Goonies on Netflix... not seen it since I were a nipper. Those fun moments are still there, but it feels a bit slow moving at times, and it riffs a little too heavily on Indiana Jones in the underground cavern scenes... not helped by Short Round (Ke Huy Quan) being one of the Goonies.

zomgmouse

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on February 14, 2019, 06:12:23 PM
I thought this was absolutely brilliant, myself, and easily Steve McQueen's best film since Hunger. Phenomenal stuff. I do like Steve McQueen a lot, though, even though he was responsible for Shame, which is one of the very worst films I have ever seen. But this was far from that. Masterful, altogether.

I'd have to agree with SteveDave over SteveMcQueen on this one - it was pretty alright - kind of just seemed like they were trying very hard to fit everything from the original TV series into the film and add new stuff and so it all felt a little slapdash.

zomgmouse

Gave myself a Peter Watkins double feature with Culloden and The War Game. Both absolutely incredible, especially the latter. The documentary style is devastating and devastatingly effective.

Also last week I watched his two (existing) early short films, The Diary of an Unknown Soldier and The Forgotten Faces. Similar comments to the above.

Also:

Extraterrestrial. Great blend of love triangle drama and farce - with the backdrop of an alien invasion.

La grande bouffe. Tremendous excessive satire where four wealthy men eat themselves to death.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 11, 2019, 12:56:17 PM
Adele Hasn't Had Her Dinner Yet. A ridiculous romp with an American detective in turn-of-the-century Prague chasing a villainous botanist and a carnivorous plant. Loads of fun from the director of the similarly fun Lemonade Joe.

I watched this tonight thanks to your recommendation and enjoyed it a great deal, here's the mini review I wrote of it: From the director of Lemonade Joe comes this private eye spoof where America's greatest detective, Nick Carter, travels to prague to solve a missing person's case, only to discover it's a dog that's disappeared. Thankfully it becomes far more complicated than that when The Gardener, Carter's nemesis, rears his ugly head, and comes complete with a plant that has a lot in common with Audrey II. It's a daft, fun effort, extremely likeable and though not as good as Lemonade Joe it's definitely worth seeking out. 7.7/10

zomgmouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 16, 2019, 11:02:21 PM
I watched this tonight thanks to your recommendation and enjoyed it a great deal, here's the mini review I wrote of it: From the director of Lemonade Joe comes this private eye spoof where America's greatest detective, Nick Carter, travels to prague to solve a missing person's case, only to discover it's a dog that's disappeared. Thankfully it becomes far more complicated than that when The Gardener, Carter's nemesis, rears his ugly head, and comes complete with a plant that has a lot in common with Audrey II. It's a daft, fun effort, extremely likeable and though not as good as Lemonade Joe it's definitely worth seeking out. 7.7/10

Hooray! Yeah I'd absolutely agree with that.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 16, 2019, 11:52:13 PM
Hooray! Yeah I'd absolutely agree with that.

After this and Lemonade Joe I definitely plan to check out some of his other films, have you seen any out of interest?

zomgmouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 17, 2019, 09:09:10 PM
After this and Lemonade Joe I definitely plan to check out some of his other films, have you seen any out of interest?

I know I have several on my list but I've not seen any, unfortunately... if you do, let me know how you get on!

Dex Sawash

Dirty Pretty Things, was shit. There's a bog that is clogged with a human heart for some reason. Audrey Tautau is turkish. Was nearly an ok film but just too miserable 4/10

steveh

Cameraman: The Life and Work of Jack Cardiff (2010)

Cinematography doesn't as much attention in documentaries about film making as other aspects but this was really fascinating on the man who over 80 years did everything from the Powell and Pressburger classics to The African Queen and even one Rambo outing. It's on Prime Video.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1626811/

SteveDave

Blumf

Plump Fiction (1998)

A dire parody of various 90s films, especially Tarantino's. No idea what they were thinking when they made it, but the cast list contains some interesting names: Sandra Bernhard, Dan Castellaneta, and Pamela Adlon for example.

It's on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj8oNzPGKeA

But don't bother watching it, just read about it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plump_Fiction

greenman

The Life of Oharu, first Mizoguchi I'v seen it certainly wasn't disappointing, if anything it was rather more evolved as "slow cinema" than I was expecting.

Any reason why his work is so hard to pickup on DVD/BR at the moment? besides the above on Criterion it all seems to be out of print releases going for silly money.

zomgmouse

Had a classic Buster Keaton double feature last night of Sherlock Jr. and The Navigator. The Navigator was great (dodgy "cannibals" stuff notwithstanding) but Sherlock Jr. was absolutely outstanding. Possibly up there with my top Keaton work.