Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:34:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2019 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 02, 2019, 08:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 12, 2019, 01:36:46 AM
Watched most of John Carpenter's first movie Dark Star earlier.  I dialled out at the alien/beach ball painted like a giant pumpkin bit, but after thinking it over I don't see why an alien's any more likely to look like ET than a pumpkin beach ball.  Will finish later.

That mentally unstable crew members video diary is funny.

Sebastian Cobb

I just watched the 5.3 hour Japanese film Happy Hour. Whilst it was good, I'd be lying if I said it couldn't be whittled down a bit; I feel like watching Jaws now just to see something with brevity.

Blumf

Dex Sawash

The Magnificent Seven; this time they're helping white people (2016)

It's just ok, Blazing Saddles with no jokes. M7 had a better food fight at the end.

St_Eddie

Reading about how Sin Agog failed to appreciate the brilliance of Dark Star and the joke of a badly painted beach ball as an alien, had me shaking my head in dismay.

Reading about how Sin Agog eventually came around to seeing the brilliance of Dark Star and the joke of a badly painted beach ball as an alien, had me clapping my hands in delight.

Once again, all is right in the world.

Custard

A rewatch of The Gift (2015)

Written and directed by Joel Edgerton, this is a really well crafted potboiler/revenge story. Excellent turns from Rebecca Hall and Jason Bateman too

Sin Agog

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 13, 2019, 07:29:48 PM
Reading about how Sin Agog failed to appreciate the brilliance of Dark Star and the joke of a badly painted beach ball as an alien, had me shaking my head in dismay.

Reading about how Sin Agog eventually came around to seeing the brilliance of Dark Star and the joke of a badly painted beach ball as an alien, had me clapping my hands in delight.

Once again, all is right in the world.

:D

I may rarely be right on the first merry go round, but at least I get there eventually.  Still not sure about women getting the vote, though.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 14, 2019, 12:27:31 AM
I may rarely be right on the first merry go round, but at least I get there eventually.  Still not sure about women getting the vote, though.

Well, clearly you have much to learn but acknowledging the brilliance of Dark Star is of far greater importance than acknowledging a woman's right to vote, so the biggest hurdle is already out of the way.

Sebastian Cobb

Tonight I watched the ever-wonderful Carnival of Souls as it was on mubi.

zomgmouse

Re Dark Star I'm sure you know this but it was co-written by Dan O'Bannon who then took the beach ball bit in particular and expanded it to become the basis for Alien.

The other day I watched Clockwise which was not bad but missing a little oomph. Pleasant enough in its structural unfolding though.

Fabian Thomsett

Had a Blake Edwards double bill, as you do.

10 felt like Dudley Moore and Edwards having a bit of a middle-aged crywank over Bo Derek. It's not very good, in other words.

Return of the Pink Panther did what it said on the tin. Some lovely gags along the way - especially fond of the one where someone posing as hotel staff takes Clouseau's hat and gloves, gets in his car and drives off and Clouseau just bemusedly waves him goodbye.

Sebastian Cobb

Return may be one of my earliest comedy film memories. The idea of a buffoon crashing their car into a swimming pool twice still amuses me.

SteveDave

The Wrong Guy as recommended on the Kids In The Hall thread. Lovely stuff. Sags in the middle but the end makes up for it.

Gags a plenty too.

As the killer's driving to Mexico his radio is playing jazz.

DJ (as the song ends) "That was...jazz...just some jazz...I don't know who it was by...I'm not a DJ but I'm doing my best"

Custard

Elle (2016) - Isabelle Huppert is great in this nasty little thriller directed by Paul Verhoeven.

Amazing it was made by the same bloke who made RoboCop, Total Recall, Starship Troopers, and, erm, Showgirls. Lad's got a great CV

Four stabs of the knife in the loins

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I've had that on my Netflix list for months. I ought to watch it before it disappears without warning.

One film in the list that I did get around to watching the other day was Baseketball. Not a classic, but pretty darn funny. I know they made a few live action films, but it's kind of weird seeing Trey Parker and Matt Stone as actors for hire. It's mildly interesting to imagine an alternative history in which South Park was just a flash in the pan and they embarked on more of a Ben Stiller-ish career path.

Quote from: SteveDave on January 17, 2019, 12:35:14 PM
The Wrong Guy as recommended on the Kids In The Hall thread. Lovely stuff. Sags in the middle but the end makes up for it.

Gags a plenty too.
"My name is... Enema Bag Jones."
"That's not your name. You're simply lying to me."

As with Parker and Stone, it's interesting, but far more heartbreaking, to imagine Foley being more successful than he is.

Blumf

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 17, 2019, 01:26:01 PM
Baseketball. Not a classic, but pretty darn funny.

I think it compares well with the likes of DodgeBall (I suspect Ben Stiller, et al, borrowed from BASEketball a bit)

Have you seen Orgazmo? (which also looks like Dodgeball borrowed from slightly) Similar levels of enjoyment, and good if you miss early South Park smut and silliness.

I have not. Someone had uploaded it to Youtube a while back, but it got removed before I got around to it. After Baseketball, my friend suggested we give Cannibal the Musical a watch at some point too.

I was going to say much the same about Dodgeball, but I'm lazy. I get the feeling it might be a bit underrated these days - probably thanks to everyone getting sick of Vince Vaughn - but I like it a good deal. Hank Azaria's cameo feels like it could have come from classic Simpsons.

Blumf

Cannibal never really gelled with me, but certainly worth it just for completeness. I really hope they do a film version of The Book of Mormon (not dragging myself down to that there London)

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Blumf on January 17, 2019, 02:12:18 PM
Cannibal never really gelled with me, but certainly worth it just for completeness. I really hope they do a film version of The Book of Mormon (not dragging myself down to that there London)

Mormon basically grew out of Orgazmo though, so I doubt they'll revisit it for film purposes.  I...am Sancho.  EDIT: heh, well shut my mouth and I take that back - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2058092/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_1

I love Cannibal - "are you singing myxolidian scales now?"  And when they all look UP to the river.  Rough and ready, but brilliant.

They had quite a lot of involvement with the making of Baseketball - they rewrote the script after being asked to join, introduced Squeak as a character and then made the trio of main characters.  IIRC, the original draft only had Coop in it, who was going to be played by Chris Farley but he turned it down for the chance to work with Christopher Guest on Almost Heroes (which is a much lesser film).  Trey and Matt originally only agreed to act in it to start proper acting careers as they were expecting (and had been told by network execs) South Park to be cancelled, but it wasn't so they negotiated more direct involvement with the film and then they'd leave the set at the end of the day to continue with South Park at night.  I've always considered it to be more of a Trey and Matt film than a Zucker film.

When Matt goes down the escalator whilst talking to Robert Vaughn - kills me every time.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Blumf on January 17, 2019, 02:12:18 PM

I didn't get on with Cannibal either and I normally love alternative musicals, but something about it left me cold. I probably should try rewatching it at some point though as so many people I know like it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blumf on January 17, 2019, 01:39:16 PM
I think it compares well with the likes of DodgeBall (I suspect Ben Stiller, et al, borrowed from BASEketball a bit)

Have you seen Orgazmo? (which also looks like Dodgeball borrowed from slightly) Similar levels of enjoyment, and good if you miss early South Park smut and silliness.

Dodgeball is just ok I reckon.

On the Stiller thing, I happened to be in the chippy the other day where Stiller was showing off as in Dodgeball and it made me think of Bill Murray in Kingpin. And that's it isn't it? It's all been done before better by people like the Farrelly Brothers.

Mister Six

Venom is a weird one. Given how quickly the titular symbiote goes from aimlessly running about smashing things to defending the Earth, and how easily Eddie Brock takes to eating people, I'm guessing there were loads of scenes of Eddie and Venom bantering and growing close that were cut to squeeze in more explosions. Which is a shame, because the latter is tedious and the former is loads of fun. Absolutely not worth watching, but if the inevitable sequel does more of the banter and less of the generic explodey shit, it'll be worth a crack.

Also recently watched Slice, an oddball comedy about a serial killer knocking off pizza delivery boys in a town full of ghosts. The massive ensemble cast (including the lovely Zazie Beetz and fantastic Paul Scheer) and the strange "Here's what's happening" summaries every half hour make me suspect that it was originally conceived as a TV show and got smooshed down into a brisk one hour and 20 minutes. Oh well - it's good enough fun. But there's a reason Chance the Rapper isn't called Chance the Actor.

Sin Agog

Caught Spaceship before it slipped off iplayer.  It's as embarassingly earnest and pretentious as a teenager's diary, and it has a hint of 'Brought to you by Claire's Acessories' to it, but I really enjoyed it a lot.  Looking at some of the reviews on IMDB, I guess a lot of people are inherently annoyed by the presence of young people.  Also, I'm predisposed to enjoy any movie that has the Incredible String Band on the soundtrack.

To be fair, a whole film of this would get a bit trying.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TYJyCCO8Dc

greenman

More of request than a viewing but can anyone recommend a DVD/BR of Elem Klimov's Come and See that's both of decent quality and doesn't cost the earth?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: greenman on January 19, 2019, 04:22:27 PM
More of request than a viewing but can anyone recommend a DVD/BR of Elem Klimov's Come and See that's both of decent quality and doesn't cost the earth?

The two disc UK release is the only one that ticks both boxes.  AFAIK there is currently no English friendly blu out there.  I imagine Criterion or Eureka or BFI will release it at some point, but until then...

greenman

I'v been holding off picking it up in the hope they do but haven't seen anything.

On a less serious tone watched the recent 30th anniversary Highlander Bluray, actually a very significant upgrade in quality from the older studio channel DVD I had and does highlight beyond all of the geeky wish fulfilment fantasy the franchise became the original was a very fun good looking bit of genre cinema.

Shit Good Nose

It seems WELL overdue, but if it's not Tarkovsky or Eisenstein I think Russian films are considered as a bit of a hard sell even by niche/boutique/art-house distributors.  I've been waiting forever for a decent release of the full version of Khan Asparuh (Bulgarian, but...), but there isn't even a VHS of that, just split vids on Youtube with fan-made subs.

Ferris

Ocean's Eight.

Very silly film. Egregious product placement aside, it was alright.