Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:32:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2019 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 02, 2019, 08:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 19, 2019, 04:43:46 PM
It seems WELL overdue, but if it's not Tarkovsky or Eisenstein I think Russian films are considered as a bit of a hard sell even by niche/boutique/art-house distributors.  I've been waiting forever for a decent release of the full version of Khan Asparuh (Bulgarian, but...), but there isn't even a VHS of that, just split vids on Youtube with fan-made subs.
I've never heard of it, but looks like Khan Asparuh has a DVD release in 3 parts?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Z on January 20, 2019, 12:14:39 PM
I've never heard of it, but looks like Khan Asparuh has a DVD release in 3 parts?

Yeah, but it's only one of those DIY jobbies, almost certainly the same version that's on Youtube.  There's no proper English friendly DVD except for the 80minute American release (and even that is like gold dust), and as for a blu...

It's odd because it's got Criterion written all over it.

It's a masterpiece as well.

Mister Six

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 20, 2019, 12:23:13 AM
Ocean's Eight.

Very silly film. Egregious product placement aside, it was alright.

What was the point of James Corden in that?

Also I've not really seen many heist movies, but this and Logan Lucky both did a thing where everyone hangs out a bit after the heist and some procedural stuff occurs and it's all a bit dull. Is that common in the genre? I seem to recall Ocean's Eleven - the Soderbergh one -  ending right after the heist, with a little bit of a coda of the characters celebrating.

Ferris

Logan Lucky did that because they had to wait everyone out before they got the money.

James Corden was completely pointless and the pretence that he would go along with it all made no sense, but it's a silly heist film so ok.

Zetetic

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 04, 2019, 05:40:22 AM
The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey. Thought it was moody and interesting and had no idea about the flip to the modern world until it happened. Was really into it until it was revealed it was all just a dream which ruined it a little for me,

One of the things I really like about it is that it's not just a dream; at the very least it's also story elaborated and told by Griffin.

(Except, we also know that the depiction of the modern world - well, 20th century Australia - is curiously accurate. You can't really make sense of it - not that you really have to I suppose - other than by vaguely taking on something a bit like the magical thinking of the characters.)

SteveDave

An Evening With Beverly Luff Linn I laughed long and hard at bits of this specifically why Colin was called Colin and anytime Audrey Plaza's brother was on screen shouting.

phantom_power

Consequences of Love. I tracked this down on Amazon after being blown away by The Young Pope and wanting to see more of Sorrentino's work. Quite similar to TYP in a lot of ways and I liked it quite a bit. Not sure about the ending though and the relationship with the bartender didn't quite work for me

Enrico Palazzo

Too Funny to Fail: The Life & Death of The Dana Carvey Show. Enjoyable, lighthearted look at the show with amusing input from Carell, Colbert and Carvey. Nobody involved seemed to care that it got cancelled, which I found quite nice. I'd only ever seen the notorious Bill Clinton breastfeeding sketch but I fancy watching the whole series now.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on January 21, 2019, 02:51:42 PM
Too Funny to Fail: The Life & Death of The Dana Carvey Show. Enjoyable, lighthearted look at the show with amusing input from Carell, Colbert and Carvey. Nobody involved seemed to care that it got cancelled, which I found quite nice. I'd only ever seen the notorious Bill Clinton breastfeeding sketch but I fancy watching the whole series now.

(I think it was) Bravo aired it over here in the late 90s, basically off the back of the Wayne's World films.  I've not seen it since then (so about 20 years), but from memory it was like a slightly harder edged SNL, albeit still very tame by our UK standards.  Also like SNL, its parts were greater than its sum and sketches would go on far too long and jokes would be very very heavily laboured.

Put simply, if you like SNL you'll probs love it.  If you don't, you almost certainly won't.

zomgmouse

Holy Flying Circus. Decent fun reenactment of the Life of Brian controversy.

Lost in La Mancha. Decent terrifying chronicle of Gilliam's ill-fated Quixote production. Think it could have been presented a little more dramatically but otherwise it's very shockingly tragic isn't it. Some interesting glimpses into what might have been. I'm keen to see the latest realised attempt.

Not sure why my viewing has been so Python-related of late but there you go.

Dusty Substance

I recently watched Mississippi Burning for the first time.

Bit of a grim viewing experience, to be honest, knowing that it was at least partially based on true events - Two big city feds investigate the disappearance of three Civil Rights Activists in a backward shit-hole racist town in 1964. Gene Hackman (brilliant as always) and a fresh faced, bespectacled Willem Dafoe (often forget how good he can be) play said feds, with a great supporting cast of Michael Rooker, who's so very good at playing those slimy Southern racist types, Frances McDormand and Steven Tobolowsky as the local Klan High Wizard. I had a vague memory of it causing a bit controversy when it was released, which was kind of inevitable given the subject matter. Not up to the standards of Alan Parker's earlier Midnight Express or Angel Heart, but, overall, it's a solid film and never bored me.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 04, 2019, 05:40:22 AM
The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey.

It's been a while (probably 20 years) but I flipping loved The Navigator. Like you, I had no idea it was going to go in the direction it did.

It's one of few films that has two different reviews by Empire Magazine. One dubs it "unmitigated guff" and gives it one bag of popcorn https://www.empireonline.com/movies/navigator/review/ (also uses a picture from Buster Keaton's film of the same name), the other review calls it "wonderful" and awards it five bags of popcorn https://www.empireonline.com/movies/navigator-medieval-odyssey/review/ (both reviews contain spoilers). The lesson? Empire reviews can't be trusted.

Sebastian Cobb

Ang Lee's - The Ice Storm.

It's like a bleaker Short Cuts or saink innit?

bgmnts

The Last Castle.

Weird film, followed all the normal story beats of a prison film you've seen many times before but the last 20 minutes are fucking mental.

Finally getting around to watching Solo: A Disney Star Wars Story.

I quite like the actor playing Han Solo to be fair. Emilia Clark can fuck right off though.  What is it with this massive wave of posh English actors who were in Game of Thrones and now in big films? Are they all just fucking gash or am I just an old man?

Anyway, Chewie, Kessel run, Lando etc. Star Wars you know the drill.

To give it its credit, so far there is no Force, no lightsabers, no on the nose cameos, no rebel alliance. So I am impressed.

I will admit I did fanboy when Chewie appeared. Chewbacca is fucking ace. I wish I had a Chewbacca. Although hearing Han Solo talk Wookie is really weird. It worked better when he just somehow understood what Chewie said.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on January 23, 2019, 03:40:39 PM
Emilia Clark can fuck right off though.  What is it with this massive wave of posh English actors who were in Game of Thrones and now in big films? Are they all just fucking gash or am I just an old man?

No, your perception is functioning as it should.  Emilia Clark is a notoriously wooden actress.  As to why she's a movie star; she played an iconic character in a massively popular TV series, that's reason enough for Hollywood moguls; audience recognition.  I think that once the love for Game of Thrones dies down and its status as part of the zeitgeist of popular culture peters out, then she'll have a much harder time getting the roles where she's headlining big blockbuster movies.

Also, another reason that her star power will fade is because, and I don't like that this is the case one bit but it is, as she becomes older and her looks diminish (according to conventional, or at the very least Hollywood, standards), then that will be another reason that she will receive much less prolific work.  Generally speaking, I don't agree with the objectification of actresses one bit, so please don't shoot the messenger, folks.  She should be judged not by her looks but by her fucking terrible performances.

bgmnts

Thank Christ thought I was an old codger.

This droid can fuck right off and all.

Also, I had to check the brightness on my screen. This film is so fucking dark.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on January 23, 2019, 05:16:03 PM
This droid can fuck right off and all.

I've only watched the movie the one time (and will likely keep it that way) but immediately after that viewing, I was very ambivalent in regards to my feelings about the droid character.  However, the more that I thought about it and its not so hidden political agenda and the non-too-subtle "subtext" behind her character, the more I came to realise that that character is total shit.

"Can I get you anything?"

"Equal rights."

Urgh.  How about you just make a fun space movie and leave the whole 'the force is female' shit out of it?  It's meant to be dumb fun for kids of all ages, with a black and white depiction of good and evil, not a political movement and a platform used for preaching your stance to your audience.  Presumably, most of us watch Star Wars movies as a means of escapism, into a galaxy far, far away.  Escapism doesn't generally involve doubling down on the current gender politics of the real world and essentially shouting your own stance to the audience.  Star Wars is meant to be fun.  What's fun about that?!

Quote from: bgmnts on January 23, 2019, 05:16:03 PMAlso, I had to check the brightness on my screen. This film is so fucking dark.

Yes, it's ridiculously dark and drab for a Star Wars movie.  Scratch that; it's ridiculously dark and drab for any movie.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 23, 2019, 07:21:27 PM
I've only watched the movie the one time (and will likely keep it that way) but immediately after that viewing, I was ambivalent as to my feelings about the droid character.  However, the more that I thought about it and its not so hidden political agenda and the non-too-subtle "subtext" behind her character, the more I came to realise that that character is total shit.

"Can I get you anything?"

"Equal rights."

Urgh.  How about you just make a fun space movie and leave the whole 'the force is female' shit out of it?  It's meant to be dumb fun for kids of all ages, with a black and white depiction of good and evil, not a political movement and a platform used for preaching your stance to your audience.  Presumably, most of us watch Star Wars movies as a means of escapism, into a galaxy far, far away.  Escapism doesn't generally involve doubling down on the current gender politics of the real world and essentially shouting your own stance to the audience.  Star Wars is meant to be fun.  What's fun about that?!

That's you cancelled.

St_Eddie

Sebastian Cobb

If you tick the right woke boxes then people will say it's entertaining regardless. Which is more important?

Remember, the embittered owl spins clockwise when the dead worm sings.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 23, 2019, 07:34:24 PMRemember, the embittered owl spins clockwise when the dead worm sings.

I've, um... I... yeah, no... I mean, uhhh...

bgmnts

I'm not arsed about politics or heavy themes in Star Wars. Just don't do it shit.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on January 23, 2019, 08:17:30 PM
I'm not arsed about politics or heavy themes in Star Wars. Just don't do it shit.

Well, yes.  To be fair, basically this.  If you're gonna do it, then do it with subtlety and nuance.  Don't have the female droid say "equal rights" in response to the question of whether she'd like anything, because that's shit.

Ferris

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 23, 2019, 09:07:06 PM
Well, yes.  To be fair, basically this.  If you're gonna do it, then do it with subtlety and nuance.  Don't have the female droid say "equal rights" in response to the question of whether she'd like anything, because that's shit.

Ooooohhhhh St_Eddie ripe to be #CANCELLED now! Don't like equality, mate? Hmmm?!

I just switched it off after 10 minutes and changed the subject (all the way back on page 2) - that's the way to dodge controversial topics these days. Good on you for making it through the whole movie because it looked shite.

(And god it was drab. The initial chase scene is slow and grey and unfulfilling, like 2 heroin addicts in golf carts chasing each other around an industrial estate. Where's the blasting and explosions and massive lasers etc? Load of shite.)

Dex Sawash

Watched Close (2019 netflix)  not doing a thread despite newness.
Variable from short bits of just watchable to a lot more absolute shite. Has Niobe off Rome from HBO so I stuck with it.

zomgmouse

Speaking of Blake Edwards earlier, I watched S.O.B., which was essentially a film entirely about trying to get Julie Andrews to go topless which it achieved by making the plot be about making a film entirely about trying to get Julie Andrews to go topless. There were some funny moments but it felt a little bloated and indulgent.

The Man Who Wasn't There. Solid Coen fare. Some good atmosphere and performances.

The Signal. Some strong sci-fi concepts here but unfortunately mashes it up with some unfortunate indie sentimentality. Also for some reason I thought it was a time travel film but it is not at all a time travel film.

Shit Good Nose

bgmnts
St_Eddie
Sebastian Cobb
FerriswheelBueller

Star Wars stuff

I've said many many times, in numerous threads, Solo feels like it belongs, and has FAR more right to belong, with the original trilogy, unlike TFA and TLJ, both of which feel more like additions to the prequel universe. 

Once you get past Solo's first 15-20 minutes or so, it's fine.  It's no Rogue One (in my opinion the only genuinely properly decent new Star Wars film, Forest Whitaker's odd panto performance that seems like it's from another and totally different film aside), but it's fine.  I too could do without the none-too-subtle ~ist* (*cos it's a liberal comment on everything that's wrong right now, right?  HAMMER HAMMER HAMMER ON THE HEAD, GET THE POINT IN, HAMMER HAMMER HAMMER) droid, but on the other hand it does tie in nicely with and gives some explanation (not that one was necessarily needed) to the original trilogy's comments about the Falcon being a bit testy.

I'd sooner see the originally mooted Solo sequels (that I guess won't happen now) than whatever remake of the original trilogy fist chewing bullshit JJ Abrams brings out next.

Artie Fufkin

I've recently re-watched Hitchcock's Rear Window - this is a firm favourite for me. The filming and direction of this is just top quality. So inventive.
The other night Mrs Fufkin and I watched Ace In The Hole. It's a Billy Wilder film from 1951. Kirk Douglas plays a cunt who happens to be a journalist. It's great, and almost everyone in it is a cunt.

phantom_power

A Touch of Evil - Seems very ahead of its time both in terms of subject matter and cinematography. Spoiled a bit by Heston playing a Mexican so you keep forgetting he is meant to be a Mexican.