Author Topic: What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2019 Edition)  (Read 17247 times)

Re: What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2019 Edition)
« Reply #540 on: April 08, 2019, 01:31:42 PM »
Uncle John (2015) – two separate stories which eventually merge, one about a hipster bloke going about his business in the city and one about his uncle who’s recently killed someone. Taggart from Beverly Hills Cop in the titular role, and he’s very good. Intriguing, gripping film.

Bomb City (2017) – true story about a bunch of preppie cunts who have an ongoing battle with a group of local punks. Angry and quite striking with a very good score. A couple of poor performances detract from it a little but well worth a watch.

« Reply #541 on: April 08, 2019, 02:00:47 PM »
I watched Cleopatra Jones, it was decent.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
    • Me Twitter
« Reply #542 on: April 09, 2019, 04:02:28 PM »
Bad Times at the El Royale (2018)

We're truly through the looking glass when a writer/director plays blatant, knowing homage to the films of Quentin Tarantino. I enjoyed it for the most part, it's impossible to predict where it's going next, but it's really not much more than a stylish pastiche of a stylish pastiche. Fun but inessential.

« Reply #543 on: April 09, 2019, 08:06:05 PM »
I didn't see it as a homage to Tarantino. More drawing from the same well. It is a lot more serious that Tarantino as well

« Reply #544 on: April 10, 2019, 01:31:15 AM »
Bad Times at the El Royale (2018)

We're truly through the looking glass when a writer/director plays blatant, knowing homage to the films of Quentin Tarantino. I enjoyed it for the most part, it's impossible to predict where it's going next, but it's really not much more than a stylish pastiche of a stylish pastiche. Fun but inessential.

Found this film almost appallingly unfinishable. Yeah, you can't see where it goes next - to a fault. It's literally been written with 'WHAT WON'T THEY SEE COMING?' as it's sole reason for existence.

Some awful miscasting, especially the bell boy, but also the sisters, and especially especially the Manson stand in.

And for a Tarantino rip off some truly toe curling dialogue.

It's a shame because there's a seductive idea in there. The motel, the trapped weirdness. They just don't know what to do with it. I got the sense that the money came through quicker than the writer/director expected it and they had to just throw it together.

So many scenes made literally no sense, and it choked me to death with its lack of fun. Final act couldn't have been more rote.

« Reply #545 on: April 10, 2019, 07:59:34 AM »
Really its only the McDonagh brothers for me that have managed to come up with effective Tarantino influenced work.

• Me Twitter
« Reply #546 on: April 10, 2019, 10:53:47 PM »
I didn't see it as a homage to Tarantino. More drawing from the same well. It is a lot more serious that Tarantino as well

I dunno, it felt like a straight-up homage to me. Whether you like him or not, Tarantino has a very distinctive house style, one which was aped to the letter by the bloke who made this. It's also no more or less serious than the likes of Django Unchained and The Hateful Eight.

• Me Twitter
« Reply #547 on: April 10, 2019, 11:09:51 PM »
Found this film almost appallingly unfinishable. Yeah, you can't see where it goes next - to a fault. It's literally been written with 'WHAT WON'T THEY SEE COMING?' as it's sole reason for existence.

Some awful miscasting, especially the bell boy, but also the sisters, and especially especially the Manson stand in.

And for a Tarantino rip off some truly toe curling dialogue.

It's a shame because there's a seductive idea in there. The motel, the trapped weirdness. They just don't know what to do with it. I got the sense that the money came through quicker than the writer/director expected it and they had to just throw it together.

So many scenes made literally no sense, and it choked me to death with its lack of fun. Final act couldn't have been more rote.

While I agree with most of this, I still found it fairly enjoyable. It doesn't linger in the mind like the best Tarantino films and it reminds you of how good he is at making this sort of thing (by which I mean Tarantino films, practically a genre unto themselves), but I never felt bored until the pat, laboured final act.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the actors who played the bellboy and Boots, the latter in particular was particularly good at capturing the chillingly childlike and amoral demeanour of a Manson acolyte. The bloke who played the Manson surrogate was woefully miscast, though, you're absolutely right. It would've been far more effective if they'd cast some creepy-looking little guy as opposed to a sexy rock God Jim Morrison type.

If nothing else, it made me look forward to Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, which will hopefully broach similar territory in a more interesting way.

« Reply #548 on: April 11, 2019, 12:29:08 AM »
The 60's French film, Diary of a Chambermaid.

St_Eddie

• *The Patron Saint of Scallywags*
  • Silver Member
« Reply #549 on: April 11, 2019, 01:48:55 AM »
The 60's French film, Diary of a Chambermaid.

Pretty sure I jacked off to that once, on Channel 5.

zomgmouse

• I have party diarrhoea.
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #550 on: April 12, 2019, 04:11:01 AM »
L'enfer. Really solid and disturbing Chabrol film about a jealous husband whose jealousy turns into severe paranoia and abuse.

La cérémonie. Another Chabrol, this time based on A Judgment in Stone by Ruth Rendell, with a title hinting at The Maids by Jean Genet. It's gradually more and more unsettling until the final climax (which in the book is revealed at the very beginning). A lot creepier in retrospect.

Memoirs of a Survivor. The book is one of my favourites and the film doesn't quite match up to its wafty dreamy apocalypse but it presents a fantastically puzzling image of a society in decay. Tragically underseen by the looks of things.

The Day the Earth Caught Fire. Going on a real end of days kick as inspiration for some things I want to work on. This is a terrific one! Newspaper reporting the few days after some nuclear explosions when the climate becomes dreadfully out of wack. It's very cleverly structured as it puts us in the shoes of people searching for some truth amidst a lot of chaos, and has a beautifully pulpy feel about it inside the global dread.

That whole Ford era between his early 80's blockbusters and early 90's political thrillers is really something I'v not tried for a very long time. I have a vague memory of enjoying The Mosquito Coast on late night TV sometime in the 90's but that was a time before I'v seen say Herzog's south american odysseys and I'm not sure it would still hold as much interest.

Frantic is pretty good if you can stand the fact that it's by Polanski.

SteveDave

• My LPs are still for sale in all good record shops
    • BUY BUY BUY
« Reply #551 on: April 15, 2019, 01:47:11 PM »
Extinction

Michael Pena is horribly miscast but it turns out there's good reason the kids don't look like him.

gilbertharding

• Not even the rudest man in the Beatles
« Reply #552 on: April 15, 2019, 03:53:00 PM »
Hiking my way through the Powell and Pressburger box, I watched 49th Parallel on Saturday.

A pretty mad film - propaganda dialled up to 11*. There's only one (out of the 6) Good German, and he's shot by his own for being a Bad Nazi. Perhaps that's what they were atoning for when they made Langsdorff such a decent chap in River Plate.

The trailer sells it as a chase/adventure like The 39 Steps - which I suppose it is, but if you're hoping Hannay gets caught.

Quote from: Powell
"I hoped it might scare the pants off the Americans [and thus bring them into the war]"

Quote from: Pressburger
"Goebbels considered himself an expert on propaganda, but I thought I'd show him a thing or two"

zomgmouse

• BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #553 on: April 16, 2019, 04:18:43 PM »
Threads. Another end-of-days film. Haunting. Gets progressively and increasingly harrowing, very masterfully structured and with a pseudo-documentary format that amplifies the dread. A very poignant sense of the loss of society.

SteveDave

• BUY BUY BUY
« Reply #554 on: April 16, 2019, 05:01:18 PM »
Threads. Another end-of-days film. Haunting. Gets progressively and increasingly harrowing, very masterfully structured and with a pseudo-documentary format that amplifies the dread. A very poignant sense of the loss of society.

And that woman pisses herself.

Dr Syntax Head

• Empty alcohol
« Reply #555 on: April 16, 2019, 05:36:52 PM »
Threads is a film you need to brace yourself for. When you think it can't get any worse it does, a lot worse. And the truly terrifying thing about it is that it's not some sci fi apocalypse film but a quite accurate representation of a very real possibility we could face someday. For me the most harrowing film I've ever seen.

« Reply #556 on: April 16, 2019, 06:56:57 PM »
I watched it lying on the sofa hungover to fuck on New Year's Day. I would not recommend doing that.

zomgmouse

• BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #557 on: April 17, 2019, 04:34:17 AM »
I was really struck by the way no one really gets any closure, all the characters we've been following either just disappear or fade into nothingness. Gosh.

St_Eddie

• *The Patron Saint of Scallywags*
  • Silver Member
« Reply #558 on: April 17, 2019, 04:48:34 AM »
I've just downloaded a copy of Threads, based upon all of your comments.  Love a proper bleak film, me.

Dr Syntax Head

• Empty alcohol
« Reply #559 on: April 17, 2019, 10:28:10 AM »
I've just downloaded a copy of Threads, based upon all of your comments.  Love a proper bleak film, me.

Bleak doesn't do this film justice. It's the kind of film where after seeing it a shit Adam Sandler film seems appealing

SteveDave

• BUY BUY BUY
« Reply #560 on: April 17, 2019, 11:01:49 AM »

Get this https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059894/ and have a bleak double-bill. For me, it was the bucket of wedding rings that had been collected that made me sharply draw breath.

« Reply #561 on: April 17, 2019, 11:09:50 AM »
I was really struck by the way no one really gets any closure, all the characters we've been following either just disappear or fade into nothingness. Gosh.

I think the real message is that the lucky ones were vaporised by the initial blast.

Dr Syntax Head

• Empty alcohol
« Reply #562 on: April 17, 2019, 01:47:00 PM »
Get this https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059894/ and have a bleak double-bill. For me, it was the bucket of wedding rings that had been collected that made me sharply draw breath.

This is on iplayer. Tempted to watch it on this lovely sunny day.

SteveDave

• BUY BUY BUY
« Reply #563 on: April 17, 2019, 02:18:08 PM »
This is on iplayer. Tempted to watch it on this lovely sunny day.

It being in black and white makes it worse.

Sin Agog

• Dogs fucked the pope; no fault of mine
« Reply #564 on: April 17, 2019, 04:34:12 PM »
The Fury.  Once you lock into that queasy-corny vibe that every De Palma movie has, this is massive fun.  Good performances from John Cassavetes, Kirk Douglas, and the psychic girl. Seems like it should be cited as the primary influence on Scanners more often.

zomgmouse

• BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #565 on: April 18, 2019, 05:58:17 AM »
Ulzana's Raid. Harsh western where everyone's tired and no one wants to be there and the violence is horrific in the vein of a lot of other revisionist Vietnam allegory westerns of the time. Wasn't as into it while watching it but it's got a good ending and the tone has stayed with me.

« Reply #566 on: April 18, 2019, 11:47:48 AM »
Was browsing HMV last week and was surprised to see Kechiche's Mektoub, My Love(well the first half that got a cinema release in 2017 anyway) had actually gotten a rather unheralded DVD release, got around to watching it yesterday.

Does feel like a bit of a hybrid of Blue is the Warmest Colour and his earlier Couscous/Secret of the Grain, Similar kind of setting to the latter featuring an extended French Tunisian restaurant owning family and less overt drama, indeed pretty much the whole thing is carried out in sidelong casual conversations. Still though the focus(or lack of it, very little actually happens) is more along the lines of Blues coming of age and its not going to dispel the idea that its a bit of a sexual mid life crisis film either, less actual nudity in it but a lot of randy young twenty something's checking each other out constantly including the protagonist being a pretty obvious avatar for Kechiche.

I'm guessing probably a bit of a marmite film, if you enjoyed the extended flirty stuff in Blue and the pretty cinematography then your in for close to 3 hours worth of that here in a sunkissed seaside setting. if your looking for something with the emotional/political weight of his last film you'll probably be disappointed although the female leads are predictably strong, Hafsia Herzi turns up again as feisty as before and Ophelie Bau is very errhh "magnetic" which I found made for very easy viewing dispite the length.

Basically the kind of film were the director depicts his young self worldlessly photographing nighttime lambing for a good 10 mins in terms of excess.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 01:42:13 PM by greenman »

« Reply #567 on: April 18, 2019, 04:02:43 PM »
Last Year At Marienbad - gorgeously shot and incredibly ambitious piece, but one that failed to drag me along for its baffling ride.

Le Bonheur - fizzy and stylish feminist piece that puts entitlement in the crosshairs and blows its head right off. Great stuff.

Rosetta - heartbreaking 1999 film about a girl who just aspires to be normal and have a job despite that very basic pairing of things being something the world constantly denies her owing to alky mum and no quals.

La Promesse - kid works for his slum landlord dad and slowly realises he's an absolute shit who would rather bury an immigrant in concrete and lie relentlessly to his widow to preserve cash than have a shred of honesty. Really good stuff.

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #568 on: April 18, 2019, 04:42:55 PM »
The Fury.  Once you lock into that queasy-corny vibe that every De Palma movie has, this is massive fun.  Good performances from John Cassavetes, Kirk Douglas, and the psychic girl. Seems like it should be cited as the primary influence on Scanners more often.

Such a shame about the really out of place lame comedy - Kirk is acting (or being directed) like he's in a comedy for the first hour or so.

« Reply #569 on: April 18, 2019, 05:48:07 PM »
Hiking my way through the Powell and Pressburger box, I watched 49th Parallel on Saturday.

A pretty mad film - propaganda dialled up to 11*. There's only one (out of the 6) Good German, and he's shot by his own for being a Bad Nazi. Perhaps that's what they were atoning for when they made Langsdorff such a decent chap in River Plate.

The trailer sells it as a chase/adventure like The 39 Steps - which I suppose it is, but if you're hoping Hannay gets caught.

Do like this film. Especially like the ending scene with Raymond Massey (great face).

I remember being quite shocked when they kill the baker. Perhaps the black and white made me think they wouldn't but they'd already offed Olivier's eskimo pal.