Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:32:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Loofa

Started by Head Gardener, January 02, 2019, 10:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

ffs, I can't be arsed with the rest of this series, it was hard enough work last night with it's sub Line of Duty ploddy bloody plot and predictable twists,
even with 'Trout Pout' ® turning up at the end I won't be watching the other episodes, which free's me up to watch Narcos S03, hurrah!

Golden E. Pump

It was a bad episode, but I marked out for the grand return at the end. Will keep watching despite the killing plot being terrible this time.

jobotic

It's not very nice, is it? Or very good.

Dex Sawash

What about Alice?

edit-

Quote from: Head Gardener on January 02, 2019, 10:32:24 AM

even with 'Trout Pout' ® turning up at the end I

Oh that's Alice innit

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 03, 2019, 12:35:52 AM
What about Alice?

edit-

Oh that's Alice innit

John Gordon Sinclair in drag, yes.

Jerzy Bondov

Man doing a Russian roulette on Luther because he has a vague suspicion he's up to something. Man putting a load of nails in some bloke presumably in record time then going after the guy that spotted him and cutting out his eyes and tongue. Man nude crying in the lounge wearing a Scary Mask. Man crawling around on a bus. Man pulling out a shotgun from nowhere and firing it across an empty pool. Man all loopy hiding in the boot. Luther loping around barely fitting through doors, pacing up and down, falling asleep with his head on a mucky table, utterly off his nut all the time. Who's gonna be at the door? The goodies? The baddies? No it's Alice for no reason. Absolutely hilarious television. I fucking loved it. Tremendous.

jobotic

Luther doesn't do much does he?

One of the teasers of tonight's episode was him knocking on someone's door then going "alright?" when it's answered.

jobotic

Someone said "manky bell end" in the first episode.

That was a first for me.

Golden E. Pump

This has been getting better with each episode. The writing has just gone full-on mental, verging on farce, but it's great fun. Much better than the half-assed season 4 a few years back.

Custard

If you imagine this as your dad making it up on the spot for your bedtime story, it seems much better

"And then....then....Alice puts on a blonde wig and stabs a bloke in the ear!" *LOOKS AT WATCH*

PlanktonSideburns

There's defiantly something of garth marenghis dark place about Luther

Turned it on and him and Alice were in a car, he was making some casual joke about her putting one of his mates in a bin bag with her face cut off or  somesuch. Oh you cheeky serial killer sidekick you.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

MATTER OF FACT LUTHER

* LOADS AND LOADS OF MURDERS HAPPEN ACROSS THE GOOD CITY OF LONDON, WITH PEOPLE BEING KILLED IN ALL KINDS OF NASTY , YET DAFT, WAYS *

LUTHER ( while rubbing hand across his top stubbled chin ): It's not right, is it ?

* THROUGH A SERIES OF LUDICROUS EVENTS, YER MAN LUTHER IS EVENTUALLY REUNITED WITH TOP SMIRKING PSYCHOPATH JOHNGORDONSINCLAIRINDRAG *

LUTHER: Johngordonsinclairindrag! I thought you were dead!

JGSID (Whilst cocking an eyebrow): Really ? Gosh, I ought to change my perfume !

BOTH: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

JGSID: Anyways, I just done killed this woman , and stuffed her in a bin bag. You know  she seemed quite embarrassed about it.

LUTHER ( Reverting to looking moody, hands in pockets, and that ): Oh, really ? Why 's that , then ?

JGSID: Well, she's certainly " lost face " !

* A SMILE BREAKS ACROSS YER MAN'S TEMPORARILY MOODY CHOPS AGAIN, SOME MORE LAFFTER, AND HIGH- FIVES ARE EXCHANGED *

( I haven't actually seen any of the current series of " Luther", but I've seen all the others, like .)

Custard

Well, that was laughably bad. Was it written on a napkin over a boozy pub lunch? Properly awful

Rev+

Never seen Loofa before but did this series over the last 2 nights just because there was nothing else going on.  Has it always been like this?  I thought this was some kind of heavyweight prestige drama rather than daft panto bollocks.  That's not a complaint, this kind of barely-thought-out schlock is right up my avenue.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Rev+ on January 04, 2019, 10:45:40 PM
Never seen Loofa before but did this series over the last 2 nights just because there was nothing else going on.  Has it always been like this?  I thought this was some kind of heavyweight prestige drama rather than daft panto bollocks.  That's not a complaint, this kind of barely-thought-out schlock is right up my avenue.

In which case, I would recommend " Killing Eve " to you, if you've not already seen it ( not even going to  mention Jodie Comer. New Year's Resolution, and all that ). But yeah, check out Luther right from the start. From series one, it never had the slightest pretence to being remotely realistic, just taking it from " heightened reality ", and heightening it up from the fuck right from there. Contemperanious  interviews from the actors at the time make it quite clear they knew full well what kind of load of old bollocks they were getting involved with, but respected the sharply scripted nature thereof, so were quite happy to say " yeah, go on then ", and get on board with the whole thing.

Golden E. Pump

That was all over the place, wasn't it? The show didn't know whether it was schlocky bollocks or a character-driven drama, and tried to be both at the same time. I admire what they did in trying to mirror the way the story started in season one and they boldly made the choice to have a definitive ending, but there was just so much inconsistency there.

SPOILER LINE DO NOT CROSS

Did they have to turn Alice into a one-note comedy villain? In the first few seasons she was built up as cunning and a step ahead of Luther, and that is what Luther found so alluring. That is what we as viewers, found alluring. But it seems that Neil Cross seems to have panicked and thought that he'd end the series with a shootout between the two in a building site. Alice was never a physical threat and was not even really a villain up until the last ten minutes of the finale. She killed her parents but the reasons were always ambiguous - was she a psychopath or was she a victim of abuse? The other people she killed were out of necessity. But in this series, nah, she just liked murder and had a convoluted showdown with Luther, forgetting all about the complex relationship they had throughout the previous seasons in the drop of a hat so that he could drop her off some scaffolding and be arrested because ending.

The subplot with George Cornelius was rubbish. Patrick Malahide was great fun in the two seasons he was in but ultimately it was just a vehicle to bring back Alice and then this season they kept him around in a ludicrous way where he served as a toothless tertiary antagonist. This season's murder plot could have been great but was just a sideshow so that Neil Cross could do his big ending.

Compare it with the finale of The Sopranos. Yeah, I went there. We knew that Tony Soprano was doomed and there were lots of callbacks to previous episodes, so it does share many of the same motifs with this finale. But unlike this show, it was subtle and ambiguous and not surrounded by poorly-developed plot distractions. If Cross wanted the show to finish with the Luther vs Alice showdown (which felt completely forced), why not have this as the focus of the final season rather than have it be just another season with that story tacked on in the last ten minutes. Forced, rushed and unnecessary.

The more I write this I actually think it was just bollocks. But it could have been so much better if the characters had not just been re-written and forced into conflict at the expense of everything else around them. There's also the fact that it loses gravitas when you think that after Luther's arrest, he'll probably get off on the basis that his actions could be defended easily. That may mean we get more Luther. Luther Without Alice though - the real Alice, not the psycho-of-the-week they ultimately used her as; it will just be Luther being reprimanded by Schenk and having some cheeky conversations with George Cornelius in a warehouse whilst some poorly developed serial killer takes a back seat. And it'll be rubbish.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on January 05, 2019, 03:17:03 AM
I actually think it was just bollocks.

I got that impression from the start