Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:23:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PSVR

Started by gabrielconroy, January 02, 2019, 02:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabrielconroy

Anyone playing the PS4 VR? I've been getting into Astrobot Rescue Mission and there are moments where it's genuinely incredible. I get vertigo sometimes looking down at my little robot buddy scampering about.

The one thing that is annoying me is that there don't seem to be any controllers anywhere. Bizarre that such a major manufacturer would allow key pieces of kit to be out of stock. Not even world-eating retail behemoth Amazon has any, though there are some from third-party sellers for what seems ridiculous prices (£90+).

And if I want to play shooting games like the likely pants-shittingly terrifying REVII or those Farpoint or whatever I'd need to get the Aim controller separately, right?

Anyway, tell me about your virtual reality fun times.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: gabrielconroy on January 02, 2019, 02:35:29 PM
Anyone playing the PS4 VR? I've been getting into Astrobot Rescue Mission and there are moments where it's genuinely incredible. I get vertigo sometimes looking down at my little robot buddy scampering about.

The one thing that is annoying me is that there don't seem to be any controllers anywhere. Bizarre that such a major manufacturer would allow key pieces of kit to be out of stock. Not even world-eating retail behemoth Amazon has any, though there are some from third-party sellers for what seems ridiculous prices (£90+).

And if I want to play shooting games like the likely pants-shittingly terrifying REVII or those Farpoint or whatever I'd need to get the Aim controller separately, right?

Anyway, tell me about your virtual reality fun times.

RE7 doesn't have Aim controller compatibility at all, it just uses the regular Dualshock. Most Aim compatible games seem to allow you to use the Dualshock (or Move controllers) instead. The Aim is pretty damn good but support is lacking somewhat.

RE7 in VR is amazing by the way, one of my best gaming experiences in ages.

DenzilHolles

If you do manage to track down an AIM controller, I'd highly recommend Firewall Zero Hour. It's basically Rainbow 6 Siege in VR, and I can't remember having so much fun since the first time I played Goldeneye on the N64. There's a few issues with it - it's P2P hosting so you can get booted out if someone quits. And there's only one game mode too. But the sheer fun of it just about makes up for it all. And in as much as it's a great game now, they've really raised the bar for a sequel or for someone else to come along and better it.

You can play it on the Dualshock, but I expect the Aim controller is essential for it. Highly recommended, probably my game of the year.

DenzilHolles

PS Resident evil 7 is Dualshock, not Aim. And it is ridiculously frightening - I'm a bit soft with horror games ( much more so in VR) and I just couldn't play it with all the jump scares in VR mode. But once I'd done it in flat mode, I could go back and do it in VR. It's pretty cheap nowadays and def worth picking up.

Other favourites -
Superhot ( Move controllers, not AIM)
Arizona Sunshine ( Move or AIM controller)
Skyrim ( Dualshock or Move)
Wipeout ( Dualshock)
Beat Sabre ( Move)

DenzilHolles

Ah, sorry I didn't see you'd already answered that :)

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on January 02, 2019, 03:11:02 PM
RE7 doesn't have Aim controller compatibility at all, it just uses the regular Dualshock. Most Aim compatible games seem to allow you to use the Dualshock (or Move controllers) instead. The Aim is pretty damn good but support is lacking somewhat.

RE7 in VR is amazing by the way, one of my best gaming experiences in ages.

gabrielconroy

Ah, interesting. So I'm much better off getting the move controllers of the two? If any shops in the entire country ever get any in stock, that is. And I'm fucked if I'm paying CeX £50 for one second hand one.

I will also get RE7, but I will only play it at daytime lest I get too scared and run screaming out of a window.

I think my dream for this platform would be Elite: Dangerous in VR, but apparently the developers could only get it working satisfactorily on the PS4 Pro. They didn't want to release it in VR for the standard PS4 and Sony wouldn't let them release it only for one. So it ended up not being released at all.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: DenzilHolles on January 02, 2019, 09:57:11 PMIf you do manage to track down an AIM controller, I'd highly recommend Firewall Zero Hour. It's basically Rainbow 6 Siege in VR, and I can't remember having so much fun since the first time I played Goldeneye on the N64. There's a few issues with it - it's P2P hosting so you can get booted out if someone quits. And there's only one game mode too. But the sheer fun of it just about makes up for it all. And in as much as it's a great game now, they've really raised the bar for a sequel or for someone else to come along and better it.

You can play it on the Dualshock, but I expect the Aim controller is essential for it. Highly recommended, probably my game of the year.
That's the game I got as an Aim bundle (despite not being a multiplayer gamer) because it was much cheaper than the Farpoint bundle. I've had some blasts on it with bots and I must say they've got the controls feeling spot on.

Speaking of Farpoint, which I ended up picking up in a PSN sale, it also has the controls nailed, plus it looks quite impressive, however the gameplay does leave something to be desired. It would probably be a pretty forgettable FPS in 2D but the VR and Aim elevates it.

Aim-wise I've also got Doom VFR, which is fine but doesn't feel as smooth as Farpoint or Firewall Zero Hour and Arizona Sunrise which is clunky as fuck, looks terrible even on PS4Pro, has an extremely unintuitive interface and the protagonist's constant 'funny' quips did my head in.

Quote from: gabrielconroy on January 03, 2019, 12:21:35 PMAh, interesting. So I'm much better off getting the move controllers of the two? If any shops in the entire country ever get any in stock, that is. And I'm fucked if I'm paying CeX £50 for one second hand one.
Yes, the Move controllers are definitely more versatile and commonly supported. With the Moves you introduce controllable hands which massively helps with immersion and opens you up to games like Job Simulator, Superhot, London Heist etc and improves stuff like Batman and Rush of Blood.

DenzilHolles

I was the same about Farpoint - it's not a bad game by any stretch but found it a bit of a chore towards the end. I believe they have done a lot with the multiplayer side of it since launch and a lot of people are playing that, but I've not been able to tear myself away from Firewall to give it a shot.

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on January 03, 2019, 01:10:22 PM
That's the game I got as an Aim bundle (despite not being a multiplayer gamer) because it was much cheaper than the Farpoint bundle. I've had some blasts on it with bots and I must say they've got the controls feeling spot on.

Speaking of Farpoint, which I ended up picking up in a PSN sale, it also has the controls nailed, plus it looks quite impressive, however the gameplay does leave something to be desired. It would probably be a pretty forgettable FPS in 2D but the VR and Aim elevates it.

Aim-wise I've also got Doom VFR, which is fine but doesn't feel as smooth as Farpoint or Firewall Zero Hour and Arizona Sunrise which is clunky as fuck, looks terrible even on PS4Pro, has an extremely unintuitive interface and the protagonist's constant 'funny' quips did my head in.
Yes, the Move controllers are definitely more versatile and commonly supported. With the Moves you introduce controllable hands which massively helps with immersion and opens you up to games like Job Simulator, Superhot, London Heist etc and improves stuff like Batman and Rush of Blood.

DenzilHolles

Elite Dangerous would be amazing. I think I'll have to upgrade to a Vive/Rift at some point just to play that.

I knew the price fluctuated a lot with the add-ons, but I didn't realise the price was so high for move controllers until you mentioned it - sixty quid is insane for what's effectively early PS3 tech. I was lucky with the AIM and got one for for around 40 quite early on release.

Quote from: gabrielconroy on January 03, 2019, 12:21:35 PM
Ah, interesting. So I'm much better off getting the move controllers of the two? If any shops in the entire country ever get any in stock, that is. And I'm fucked if I'm paying CeX £50 for one second hand one.

I will also get RE7, but I will only play it at daytime lest I get too scared and run screaming out of a window.

I think my dream for this platform would be Elite: Dangerous in VR, but apparently the developers could only get it working satisfactorily on the PS4 Pro. They didn't want to release it in VR for the standard PS4 and Sony wouldn't let them release it only for one. So it ended up not being released at all.

Pdine