Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:00:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Carnivore snowflakes triggered by vegan sausage roll

Started by Thursday, January 02, 2019, 06:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Greggs launches vegan sausage roll

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/02/greggs-launches-vegan-sausage-roll

Usual sort of twats get angry about this

https://twitter.com/GreggsOfficial/status/1080527865467322369

As someone that can't ever see myself becoming even a vegetarian, I'm always incredibly bemused by people who seem to get annoyed at eateries offering vegan options, it just seems incredibly defensive born out of denial over a feeling they have that they probably shouldn't be eating meat. It's fucking weird.

Sebastian Cobb

Not arsed.

Although I will say it takes a fair bit of effort to make an acceptable vegetarian and vegan sausage, more than it does to make an acceptable meat sausage, which greggs seemingly can't manage.

Replies From View

Looking forward to learning how brilliantly it tastes, and all the stories about them becoming contaminated by meat products that the staff haven't separated properly from the vegan range.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Raised this on the Veganuary thread but sadly with veganism marketed so heavily at the young middle class in bigger towns and cities this has created an unnecessary class divide and too many working class people associate it with being poncey, virtue-signalling, not to mention the section of the public who will always fail to cope with people acting in a heterodox manner.

St_Eddie

Urgh.  This shit again.  I'm vegetarian and the lack of self-awareness in some meat eaters never ceases to amaze me.  They'll harp on about "fucking veggies and vegans!  Bunch of self-righteous twats!  Stop lecturing the rest of us and eat a lovely slab of meat, like a normal fucking person", all the while willfully ignoring that most vegetarians and vegans are like myself; respectful of other people's choice of diet and keeping our moralistic beliefs to one side, unless we're directly asked as to why we don't eat meat. 

Conversely, a surprising number of meat eaters actually are self-righteous twats, who take great pleasure in sneering at people for choosing not to eat flesh.  Hypocritical morons.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 02, 2019, 06:38:10 PM
...too many working class people associate it with being poncey, virtue-signalling, not to mention the section of the public who will always fail to cope with people acting in a heterodox manner.

I think that you've hit the nail on the head there.

Quote from: Piers MorganNobody was waiting for a vegan bloody sausage, you PC-ravaged clowns.

Well no, I don't suppose that even the vegans were waiting for a vegan bloody sausage, you massive fucking great big tit.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Replies From View on January 02, 2019, 06:37:16 PM
Looking forward to learning how brilliant it is, and all the stories about them becoming contaminated by meat products that the staff haven't separated properly from the vegan range.

If you eat greggs you deserve everything you get.

Besides if you want a tastless sludge that's vegan friendly there's always Huel.

Replies From View

Johnny Yesno

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI think that you've hit the nail on the head there.

I was just going to add that a lot of people are horrendously insecure when it comes to ethical issues for the obvious logic that if someone is doing something you aren't then you look bad by comparison even if you aren't trying to. A lot of really bitter people prefer taking that insecurity out on the person acting ethically.

Some of those ethical people really are sanctimonious/judgemental twats so that muddies the waters.

Working class people are quite understandably the most touchy when it comes to any kind of difference and weakness.

Highly controversial and provocative but I think we should try to take ordinary people along by making sure every day vegan food is affordable and available.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 02, 2019, 06:48:37 PM
Highly controversial and provocative but I think we should try to take ordinary people along by making sure every day vegan food is affordable and available.

Be well lol if Greggs put all the proud independent vegan places out of business like they did with all the bakeries.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Except that's come full circle as there are lots of independent bakers around in cities where you can get your £3 pheasant and hoggart sausage rolls from and one or two are earning enough from markets and street food operations to set back up in permanent retail space in towns and cities.

It's the mid-range bakeries that are absent tbh.

Blumf

I quiet like them Quorn sausage rolls, but they're damned pricey. No wonder it's only rich cunts with infinite free time that are vegans.

Thursday

I don't think I've seen any vegan specific places competing in the market Greggs is, so I wouldn't worry there.

thenoise

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 02, 2019, 06:38:13 PM
Urgh.  This shit again.  I'm vegetarian and the lack of self-awareness in some meat eaters never ceases to amaze me.  They'll harp on about "fucking veggies and vegans!  Bunch of self-righteous twats!  Stop lecturing the rest of us and eat a lovely slab of meat, like a normal fucking person", all the while willfully ignoring that most vegetarians and vegans are like myself; respectful of other people's choice of diet and keeping our moralistic beliefs to one side, unless we're directly asked as to why we don't eat meat. 

Ugh, I had a horrible row with my good friend, and best man at by wedding only 2 years ago, when I let him know that I wasn't going to cook him meat in my meat-free vegetarian kitchen (my wife is also vegetarian).  Even though as a lifelong vegetarian, I have never cooked meat and wouldn't know where to start (would probably end up poisoning him), he seemed determined to enter into a battle of wills with me about what an awful hypocrite I am because he cooked vegetarian food for us when we visited him, picking up on the fact I take vitamin supplements or have health problems as sign that our diet is unhealthy (I never claimed to be healthy, neither my diet or lifestyle is particularly healthy).  FFS.  What is it with this 'culture war' shit that everyone feels determined to fight nowadays?  Why can't we just have our own opinions and lifestyles and co-exist with each other nicely?

Pingers

There is some marvelous Piers Morgan baiting on that Twitter feed

biggytitbo

I don't see what the issue is, that's just Piers Morgan's thing of trying to annoy people on twitter and succeeding massively.

Sausages are shapes too, you can have a sausage of anything - anus, vegan-mulch, turd, dog sick. And if you shop in farm foods you probably have.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Pingers on January 02, 2019, 07:51:03 PM
There is some marvelous Piers Morgan baiting on that Twitter feed

He's baiting them, and he always wins because he gets precisely the kind of attention that feeds his black heart.

BlodwynPig

Zetetic

BlodwynPig

Thursday

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 02, 2019, 07:57:16 PM
Consigned to bin 2019:

Snowflakes
Triggered

You see I'm adopting the language of alt-right anti pc types in order to satirise alt-right anti pc types. It's very sophisticated comedy, like Stewart Lee or something. Must have gone over your head.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Thursday on January 02, 2019, 08:05:03 PM
You see I'm adopting the language of alt-right anti pc types in order to satirise alt-right anti pc types. It's very sophisticated comedy, like Stewart Lee or something. Must have gone over your head.

I was aware of that, i was making a wider plea

Thursday

Yeah I wasn't sure, but I suddenly became terrified someone might think I would these words unironically.

gib

I'm really excited about this, i do hope they're nice. Apparently they're out tomorrow and i would appreciate everybody's feedback. A pound! I could live like a king for a fiver.

Depressed Beyond Tables

If we're going to have a thread every time Piers Morgan tweets something stupid, may I suggest a sub forum?

Icehaven

Mr. H bought me the most beautiful pair of DMs for Christmas that, on casual inspection of the label a day or so after Xmas, turned out to be vegan ones. He actually apologised. Now I am not and never will be a vegan or veggie but I've got no problem whatsoever with my shoes being so, I really don't care if they're made of hardened tofu as I'm not planning on eating them, they just need to look good, be comfy and keep the rain out, which I'm pleased to report they do. But even now he still says "I wouldn't have got them if I'd known they were vegan." as if the sneaky vegans have got one over on him. It doesn't matter one shred to me, in fact if it means I can eat even more meat as I've offset it by accidentally having vegan shoes then great. I'm all for non-food products being unnoticeably veganified if it means I don't have to deal with people trying to convince me bloody jackfruit is a viable meat substitute.

hummingofevil

Most of my family are vegetarians and I would count on 2 fingers the number of times they've ever challenged anyone about it (sister in law and mother in law don't allow meat in their own homes if we having bring your own buffet). Contrast this with them getting harassed pretty much every time they eat out about "how long you been vegetarian?" "Since you were 4? So you didn't choose?" "Do you eat fish?" "Why aren't you a vegan then?" It's the worst example of the modern world where people who projecting their own behaviour onto others.

For what it's worth I think meat replacement foods are pretty excellent right now and my favourites are:

- Caulderon Lincolnshire Sausage
- Quorn Crispy Fillets
- Vivera Shwarma
- Iceland's "No Bull" Quarter pounders

Not forgetting the classic Linda McCartney pie. The veganaise stuff that's appeared in supermarkets ain't bad either.

Vegan cheese is still crap.

Great Satan

I'm not sure this section of the public is getting annoyed at veganism (and vegans) because they are in denial and are consequently defending themselves. On the contrary, I think they're all too comfortable with their choices. They hate vegans for the same reason why they hate 'killjoys' and 'nagging shrews': they're people ruining their sense of fun and unthinking, unearned superiority.

St_Eddie

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 02, 2019, 08:56:28 PM
Most of my family are vegetarians and I would count on 2 fingers the number of times they've ever challenged anyone about it (sister in law and mother in law don't allow meat in their own homes if we having bring your own buffet). Contrast this with them getting harassed pretty much every time they eat out about "how long you been vegetarian?" "Since you were 4? So you didn't choose?" "Do you eat fish?" "Why aren't you a vegan then?" It's the worst example of the modern world where people who projecting their own behaviour onto others.

Every vegan and vegetarian can relate to this, myself included.

Quote from: Great Satan on January 02, 2019, 09:04:00 PM
I'm not sure this section of the public is getting annoyed at veganism (and vegans) because they are in denial and are consequently defending themselves. On the contrary, I think they're all too comfortable with their choices. They hate vegans for the same reason why they hate 'killjoys' and 'nagging shrews': they're people ruining their sense of fun and unthinking, unearned superiority.

Ruining their sense of fun and unthinking, unearned superiority by veganism simply being a thing which exists and is in no way impacting their own life.  Typical ego-centric behaviour.