Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:09:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Carnivore snowflakes triggered by vegan sausage roll

Started by Thursday, January 02, 2019, 06:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Kryton on January 03, 2019, 08:51:18 PM
I told her I'd fuck any animal. Anything. Cat, dog, octopus, crocodile. Anything.

ftfy

Cloud

Count me in with the hypocrites.  Part of being human, we do a ton of shameless hypocrisy, who cares.  I don't want to eat anything we typically keep as pets, no I can't rationalise it, nor have any requirement to.  This does of course make pet pigs an interesting one.  Well just don't eat your pets, it's weird,  you're supposed to feed them and stuff, and I think if I kept a pet pig I'd struggle with the idea of bacon sandwiches.  So...  I don't

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on January 03, 2019, 09:01:39 PM
Veganuary must be a marketing thing, I can't believe Gregg's and McDonald's launching vegan products in the first few days of 2019 is coincidental.

Oh definitely.  I don't think  it necessarily started as a marketing thing, but to see it taken over in that way like literally everything else wouldn't surprise me in the slightest - though to be honest, isn't any "excuse" for companies to offer more vegan options a good one?  The point is whether they'll keep them for the rest of the year.

biggytitbo

The harsh truth is, if the boot was on the other hoof, the animals would eat us. In pies and baps of they could figure it out.

Thank fuck they haven't.

Thursday

"Going Vegan for January" is a thing people do, tied in with January diets and resolutions so, yeah there's a reason they'd do it now. 

Blumf

I want to be like good old Jack Hargreaves, contentedly looking on as a skilled butcher divvies up a pig carcass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H89PVM9hP-Y

Actually, I reckon I could do that butchering, skills permitting.

However the bit before that...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3_Sn-TUDvI (WARNING! Killing then gutting of sheep shown)

How do you kill and gut a carrot?

Replies From View

Has it finished yet?  Has the veganocity gone away?

madhair60

Quote from: Blumf on January 03, 2019, 11:25:54 PM
How do you kill and gut a carrot?

Methinks you may be barking up the wrong tree, as far as convincing normal folk that vegetarianism is an act of compassion.

Rest assured that the most famous vegetarian of all - the Nazi's own Adolf Hitler - was responsible for significant violence.

Icehaven

Quote from: Cloud on January 03, 2019, 09:58:34 PM
I don't think  it necessarily started as a marketing thing, but to see it taken over in that way like literally everything else wouldn't surprise me in the slightest - though to be honest, isn't any "excuse" for companies to offer more vegan options a good one?  The point is whether they'll keep them for the rest of the year.

That's true, an awful lot of the new vegan products will last about as long as a lot of people's new found veganism (and non-vegan's curiosity), so not long. Then it'll be chicken or egg, if you'll excuse the phrase, as dwindling demand leads to dwindling availability leads to veganism being abandoned as they get fed up (or not) at the increasing lack of choice again. 

sardines

Quote from: Consignia on January 03, 2019, 09:08:08 PM
The Independent have got a vegan sausage roll unboxing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO65PrVa61I

There is Charlie Brooker's opener for the 2019 Newswipe:
"...the former broadsheet newspaper opened 2019 by posting a YouTube unboxing video of a Greggs sausage roll..."
Basically we are all fucked.

Fambo Number Mive

I think Brooker is more likely to have a long piece about Morgan's tweet and give Greggs lots of free publicity. I think the vegan sausage roll being on sale in Greggs is a good thing but I don't like the way so many people outside of Cookd and Bombd seem to think that Greggs and their social media team are the most wonderful thing in the world when all it is is a business using marketing techniques to try to get us to buy their products. It's great they are selling a vegan sausage roll but does Twitter and the remnants of the media need to be so ingratiating? They don't do it for other businesses.

I suppose when the media relies on clickbait like this so much journalists love this kind of non-story. Actual headline in the Evening Osbourne "Greggs' vegan sausage roll row: Charlotte Crosby claps back at Piers Morgan in #DontHateTheRoll blast
The Geordie Shore star attempted to take down Morgan".

I don't think anyone on here is being like this, the discussion is very reasoned and I think it's an interesting thread.

Bazooka

Where did Gregg's even come from? As a lad it wasn't around, and then around circa 2005 it sprung up like Japanese knotweed as if its been around forever, the cane toad of bakeries.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Bazooka on January 04, 2019, 02:16:17 PM
Where did Gregg's even come from? As a lad it wasn't around, and then around circa 2005 it sprung up like Japanese knotweed as if its been around forever, the cane toad of bakeries.

I think they've always had a presence in the North but in the 90's they bought Bakers Oven and some other brands that existed elsewhere, and in the late 90's/2000's they rebranded them and other brands they owned like Braggs and Thurston as Greggs.

Cuellar

Sebastian Cobb

biggytitbo

Quote from: Bazooka on January 04, 2019, 02:16:17 PM

I'm not saying its connected but it's sudden arrival did coincide with former world number 4 tennis player and US Open finalist Gregg Rusedski retiring from top level tennis.

Replies From View

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 04, 2019, 02:22:19 PM
I think they've always had a presence in the North but in the 90's they bought Bakers Oven and some other brands that existed elsewhere, and in the late 90's/2000's they rebranded them and other brands they owned like Braggs and Thurston as Greggs.

They went with the shittest of the available names, there.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Replies From View on January 04, 2019, 02:52:54 PM
They went with the shittest of the available names, there.

It's better than Baker's Oven.  Your brain expects Dozen and instead finds an Oven, what the fuck does that even mean of course you use a fucking oven.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: shiftwork2 on January 04, 2019, 03:00:02 PM
It's better than Baker's Oven.  Your brain expects Dozen and instead finds an Oven, what the fuck does that even mean of course you use a fucking oven.

I dunno, you'd be forgiven for thinking otherwise given the tepid monstrosities Greggs dole out.

Replies From View

Baker's Oven is better than Greggs.  Greggs just makes you think "Well I don't know who Gregg is but I bet he's a cunt," which is no way to introduce bread to children.

Cuellar

But Baker's Oven gives the unsettling suggestion of actually stepping INSIDE a baker's oven. Will you be roasted alive when you step inside? Who can say. Offputting.

Replies From View

Quote from: Cuellar on January 04, 2019, 03:09:47 PM
But Baker's Oven gives the unsettling suggestion of actually stepping INSIDE a baker's oven. Will you be roasted alive when you step inside? Who can say. Offputting.

Oh yeah I forgot they were trying to entice you in.

Still though, Greggs makes you think of a bloke with stomach ulcers lying on his back, and you have to become encleaved between all his flesh and fat deposits in a miniature submarine that has a horrible smell of piss inside.

It's not much better, really.

madhair60

Quote from: Cuellar on January 04, 2019, 03:09:47 PM

Speaking of stepping inside an oven, allow me to draw your attention to The Holocaust, as introduced to history by Hitler himself, who was - wait for it - a vegetarian.

Now, what does that tell you?

gilbertharding

The name Baker's Oven is redolent of a best forgotten 1990s past. It has Partridgean associations, like Julies Pantry, or the Major Government.

Replies From View

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 04, 2019, 03:13:38 PM
The name Baker's Oven is redolent of a best forgotten 1990s past. It has Partridgean associations, like Julies Pantry, or the Major Government.

So does John Menzies but you never hear people complaining about that.

biggytitbo

Buelligan

Quote from: Replies From View on January 04, 2019, 03:08:27 PM
Baker's Oven is better than Greggs.  Greggs just makes you think "Well I don't know who Gregg is but I bet he's a cunt," which is no way to introduce bread to children.

In America they're called Craaygues.

St_Eddie

Can some of you cunts stop harping on about how Hitler was a vegetarian, please?  Yes, we know.  We all know.  He also loved animals but that doesn't mean that everyone who owns a pet is a genocidal maniac.  Then again, maybe it does.  I don't know anymore.  I just don't know, okay?

Going down to Greggs to console myself with a vegan sausage roll.  Fuck the lot of you.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 04, 2019, 02:22:19 PM

Yes, I remember them in Scotland at least since the late 80s when I started secondary school. There was also a Bakers Oven and the last of the City Bakeries closed around this time in my town, the latter replaced by an extra Greggs (of course).

"Huhuh you live above the Bakers Oven" was a popular inexplicable playground insult of the era.

Cuellar

Norton Canes

++ WARNING ++

This new Greggs vegan sausage roll is made of QUORN

If like me you can't eat Quorn do not attempt to ingest the new Greggs vegan sausage roll